Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi NicholasD depending on the type of food you want prices vary. I am not a big eater myself but my wife and i
were having good meals in Marmaris at 17 to 25 Turkish lira each for a 5 course meal. we also had some lovely Turkish meals at very good prices no more than 30 turkish lira each ( in a proper Turkish restraunt )
and we just drank the local efee's at most 5 lira a bottle least 3.50 lira .We spent 3 weeks there last August and never ran out of money but we did not drink too much a day. plus if we wanted more we just bought bottle of efes from the shop and kept it in our room . we did all inclusive boat trip about £12 each .. Enjoy have a wounderful time
Alan
noticed your heading says Kalkan but your post says Dalaman.
If it is Kalkan you are going to, be prepared to pay slightly more as it is a more expensive resort.
Myself, I would take approx £1000 for ten days and expect to bring some home with me.
But my wife and I like to eat and drink well, especially wines etc.
I should imagine that you could holiday for approx £500 without too much discomfort, but, as always peoples needs differ a lot and what I would class as normal you may regard as being silly spending.
, I usually take sterling cash and get it changed in resort and always have plastic as back up, or to pay for items over and above normal expenses....presents or gifts etc., or even some excursions if they are a bit pricey.
You may be more comfortable with TC's if you are concerned at having a large amount of cash with you.
If you have some left over Euros at home you would be able to change those also.
Hope this helps!
We don't go to Kalkan but usually in Turkey we budget about £100 a day between us for a family of 4, we eat out every night but don't drink much and we do tend to do quite a bit of shopping!

The best way to take your money is take a small amount of lira with you then either take sterling to change out there (you get a better exchaneg rate in Turkey) or withdraw lira from the ATMs. You can often pay for trips and you can get some better deals shopping for clothes if you have sterling sterling.
or withdraw lira from the ATMs

Hmm!
Did this a few years ago in Bitez, the machine kept my card and although I cancelled it by phone within 90 mins, over £300 had been taken and a further £500 had been attempted to be taken when I got my next statement.
I doubt that Turkey is any worse than other destinations in this respect but I am very wary using ATM's abroad.

I did get all the money refunded but only after protracted arguments with the bank.
Thanks so much for all the advice guys!

My original plan was to take about £1200 spending money. however the plan was to change up £100 to lira take £100 in cash sterling and leave the remaining £1000 in my bank account and pay on card or make withdrawals if need be.

going to talk to my bank and credit card company about using the cards abroad before i do that though.

does any one have any experience with Kalkan?
does any one have any experience with Kalkan?

HILLY !!!
if staying at the bottom, Pirat Hotel, your calf muscles will be toned up when you get home, if staying at the top you won't be too bad.

Don't think I remember much beach, not sure if there is actually a beach there as I seem to remember a beach club along the coast a bit. Maybe someone else can clarify that.
There are several really good restaurants and enough shops for most things.
reasonable for travel to other nearby resorts, Kas etc. Some good archealogical sites nearby
Pretty harbour area... usual boat trips etc
We had a good holiday there but wouldn't be bothered about going back.... just down to personal choice not because anything was bad.
Check out Enjoy Kalkan and Kalkan Turkish Local News websites.
You say you are planning on having a budget of £1200 - that should be plenty if you are not into clubbing etc. If you have a safe in your apartment you'd probably do better to take some Turkish Lira - £50 to £100 maybe, and take the rest in sterling and change it up when you need to. If you use your card abroad the exchange rate will be much worse than if you just change up sterling as you need it. There are always loads of places to change your money with good rates - restaurants, travel agents etc.although banks will always have the best rates. You can eat out very reasonably in Turkey, if you choose the small Turkish restaurants - you will be amazed at what good meals you can have at a very good price. If you are wine drinkers though be prepared to pay quite a bit for decent wine. As you have an apartment if you want some cheap days, it will be easy to just buy some bread and cheese, salads etc. to eat on your balcony. You'll find activities are comparatively cheap if you compare with places like Spain. If your holiday is booked through one of the major tour ops - Thomas Cook etc., don't book your trips with them, you'll probably be able to buy almost identical ones at half the price locally. In Turunc a boat trip where you stop at 5 different bays for swimming, and have a great BBQ on the boat is £12! Should think you'll be able to get similar in Kalkan. I am baseing all this on our holidays in Turunc, but I think Kalkan probably has similar sorts of prices. Have a great holiday!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apartment rental in beautiful area of Turkey, perfect location for a wonderful holiday http://www.turuncapartment.com
Hi,

I agree with Kalkanite . you will find all you want to know on these websites.

We have been going to Kalkan now for some yers and love it. Yes it is slightly mor expensive than other resorts but you can choose where to eat cheaply or more expensive, the choice is yours.

I am sure you will have a great time.

Regarding money, there are plenty f places to change sterling and also banks amd a PTT (post office)

BarbH
We always budget £100 a day (for two adults) and now have a one year old and don't plan to take any more - I suspect less drinking will be done this year! That's plenty for eating out, a few trips and a few treats from the shops.
Hi im going to olu deniz in august and I see that the rate of the lira at the moment in the uk is 179 is that a good rate or do you think I would be better off changing my money over there.I normally always take lira and a cc for back up any information appreciated :wave: :) :)
just had a look on line and the rate is showing as 2.91 lira to the pound.
Obviousley banks etc will not give that rate either here or there but I don't understand your exchange rate of 1.79.
Perhaps a typo and should be 2.79?
I usually (and I think most people) take a bit of turkish for early use and change sterling over there, either cash or TC's.
I got 130 lira from the post office for £53 (approx) a few weeks ago
We took £1,000 last year for 3 of us (wife, 15 yearold daughter and myself) and had just enough, not much left when we got back to Manchester lol.

Breakfast was mainly in hotel room - fruit from local shop with cereal or bread and cheese spread - occasionally we ate breakfast out (full English or Turkish breakfast - maybe 3 or 4 times).

Lunch was a snack - again fruit or something from the pool bar menu.

Evening meal was always out or at the hotel.

We did 3 excursions (Turkish bath at the hotel then jeep safari, all inclusive boat trip and water park - all booked with ICR)

And we drank quite a lot of Efe's and bottled water throughout the day.

Hope this gives you an indication of the costs - we never scrimped or 'went without'.

This year I am taking around £2,000 for 14 days and have already changed £500 into Lira as the rate is very good at the moment, we usually just take enough for the first day then change sterling as-and-when we need it. You do get a better rate in resort, for example when I got 2.85 here (yesterday) in the resort people were getting 2.9+

Have a great time,

Justin x
anyone update me on the current cost of a large efes?
this is the measure I use for all holiday purchases!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.