Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
turkish honey
23 Posts
may i suggest opening your eyes :roll: its everywhere most mini markets have it they even do it at the airport and most tourist attractions just ask at a local restaurant or bar happy hunting ps only joking with the opening statment :lol:
where abouts are you holidaying
come on maverick (Beehive )Yourself :P :D

Bluepeterno1
Hi Polegate,

The best place to buy honey is in the major supermarkets: Migros etc.

They have a good selection and are cheaper than the airport or touristy shops.

Strawberry
try and get some from the villages, it tastes better!
Actually if you go to goat central where Chelsea boy lives most of the farmers sell it there and its some of the best honey I have found it Turkey. Whenever we are down there we get some of the farm next to our peice of land usually a 5 kilo tin and its always excellant.
Use it to make mead mmmmmm :)
Thanks Maverick for your comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my eyes are not good
started something here lol :lol: :shock: :D
Do you know the DEFRA web site says you are only allowed to bring in 1Kg of honey from Turkey. The reason I looked, was that on my return flight in Sept 07 the cabin crew announced on the flight that honey had to be declared on arrival.
Mmmmm! Try the jar of honey that are full of nuts!
Great stuff honey ,its the only food that does not spoil or go off, there were jars of honey found in egyptian tombs ,thousands of years old and still edible,just thought i would share that piece of information. :D

Bluepeterno1
I wonder who was daft enought to try it after thousands of years :shock:
Winnie the Pooh coz he's so rumbly in his tumbly?! Mmmm hunny :rofl
:lol: :lol: hope he didnt eat it all or it will be more that a rumbly tumbly he has.
Hate to put a bee in your bonnet (as it were) but I noticed this year for the first time that you are not allowed to bring honey back into the uk. It may be that it has always been the same, but I only noticed it this year. I have brought back some that I have been given by friends in the past but, fortunately, have never been stopped at customs so don't know how they would deal with this. Confiscation, I guess.

Having said that, our local Asian supermarket sells Turkish honey (bal) including the ones with nuts.
Sorry, missed the post about the 1kg limit - thought you couldn't bring back any.
customs are stamping down on a lot of foodstuffs being brought into the uk ,coming back from belek at the end of september there were notices up all over glasgow airport ,and i seen at least two people being stopped.

its a case of tell em about the honey mummy :roll:

Bluepeterno1
I noticed 3 years back while waiting for our cases off the belt a notice saying no honey allowed through,we had quite a few jars at the time for pressies and luckily never got checked for any,cant stand the stuff myself :yuck
Well I was down in goat central this weekend and got 6 kilos of honey from my neighbours farm there- although they say its not as good as last year due to the dry winter.

Also came back with a sack tangerines and 20 kilos of fresh out the ground peanuts.

Nice to have neighbours like that.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.