Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
We were only there for about half a day, en route to New Zealand and chose to visit the Botanic Gardens. The main gardens cover a huge area and are free to enter, the orchid garden has a small entry fee but is fantastic and very colourful. If you've even a slight interest in gardens I would highly recommend it for loads of very exotic plants, usually only seen growing as house plants.
As the previous poster said visit the Botanical Gardens. Take a boat trip round the harbour. Shopping on Orchard Road even if the prices aren't special the pure variety of shops and goods on offer are worth looking at, visit China Town and Little India. Eat from one of the Hawker Stalls. Visit the Bird Park. The Zoo, the Night safari at the Zoo. Drink a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel, Hope your hotel has a pool as you will need to cool off at the end of the hot, sticky days. I think you could do most or all of the above in 2 1/2 days.
Enjoy your stay at Raffles. I only visited it to have the Singapore Sling in the Long Bar, as Judith has suggested, but thought the place had loads of character and charisma. I've heard it slagged off but I have no idea why. It always sounds like jealousy to me.

Please let us know what you think of the hotel when you get back, as I had planned to stay there next time I stop over in Singapore for 2/3 nights.
hiya, as you're arriving on a wed afternoon, you'll be tired from the long flight & probably be suffering from jet lag. have a short nap to adjust to the time difference & in the evening, visit chinatown & if you still have the energy, take a stroll down orchard road. the shops there close at 10pm so there's no need to rush.

on thu, visit the day zoo follow by the night safari. my husband absolutely loves both the zoo.

on fri, visit sentosa. don't forget the musical fountain. the 1st show is at 7pm if i don't remember wrongly.

on sat, depart for brisbane.

you will be staying in 1 of the best hotels in singapore. like suggested by judith, have a singapore sling at the long bar. they also have a non-alcoholic version which is called virgin sling which i really love as i'm a non-alcoholic drinker.

food wise, you'll be spoilt for choice. singapore is a food paradise. my husband says go have a 'roti prata' at jalan kayu. we were there at 3am & the place was bustling. it was a great feed after a few beer :lol:

we've been back for 5 times over the last 4years & we enjoyed every single minute there...except the sunburn :cry:

don't hesitate to let me know if you want more information.

happy 50th anniversary & have a great time in singapore & australia.
I have to say that I wasn't enamoured with Sentosa as its a bit theme parkish but did enjoy the museum there( Singapore Story or something similar?) and the Fort Siloso.
Chinatown is my favourite :D Also if you are into history you might want to visit Changai museum.Can't think of anything not already mentioned :D
Wow, lucky you, staying at Raffles - on my list of things to do one day! I would recommend not just a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar but afternoon tiffin there. Not only is the food fabulous, with more choices than you could possibly imagine but the atmosphere is perfection.

I took a trip to Changi as I am interested in history.

I can recommend the quays, Clarke & Boat. Try sitting at one of the picnic tables & having a veritable feast from the stalls, served with pitchers of beer.

I also enjoyed the Night Safari but I agree Sentosa is a bit theme parky.

Little India & China are fascinating & well worth a walk about.

Enjoy your trip & happy birthday
Vickie
Re: Sentosa.

I actually found the journey over there on the cable car (not the San Francisco kind) to be the highlight of the day. Great views of the city itself.

I must admit I did enjoy the Luge and Skyride as well but agree, it's probably not worth visiting if you only have a short space of time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.