Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
got back last night from sharm, all was very quiet. was only 20 people in our hotel, tho we didnt go in to hotel we booked and paid for, they closed that down the week before, but didnt inform us till we arrived in sharm. to late to cancel then , naama bay was empty last wednesday morning, hubbie couldnt understand why, told him dont you watch the news :rofl it was better at night time to be honest, think people are just trying to get on with there lives. we didnt go to sight see this time we went to beach a lot tho.maybe someone else could give a bit more information.
Sorry to read about your experience Tammie, have read your review.

Returned on Saturday having spent a lovely week at Ghazala Beach, Sharm el Sheikh. Despite having spent a fortune on the holiday paying a hefty half term premium would class the hotel as 3 star not 4. Having stayed previously at the hotel next door and read copious reviews I went with realistic expectations so was not disappointed. The position of the hotel on the promenade was ideal.

The hotel was very quiet as only the small British contingent was there. The hotel is predominently frequented by Germans who were just about to return when we left. This was definately in our favour - there was a reduced selection of food at breakfast but the empty pool and near deserted beaches more than made up for that. We did not do any trips (excepting glass bottomed boat off the beach) but the selection and frequency of holiday trips offered by Red Sea Holidays was considerably reduced. The animation team consisted of a solitary German and it was deemed appropriate to let the singer who normally sings in the beach bar take a holiday!

We made a conscious effort to avoid the news while we were there but were aware of the spread of unrest across the Middle East. At no time did we feel unsafe and are glad that we did not cancel our holiday.

Am returning to Sharm on 24 March and going back to Djerba, Tunisia in June.

Regards, Caro
cario glad you had a good time in sharm. yes i can say we had a good time at the beach to be honest was glad to get out of the hotel every day, was worried about the unrest while i was there didnt see any trouble, so am glad i didnt cancel my holiday, but thomas cook changed my hotel. with out informing me, :) all in all was a ok holiday, just loking forward to the one in may to tunsisa now to get over that last one :rofl
We were in Sharm 24th Feb to 3rd March. As our original hotel was closed due to underoccupancy, Thomsons upgraded us to the sister hotel which is one of their Platinum properties. What a result! This hotel was only 60% full with only 2 French families amongst totally British guests. It couldn't have been a better time to go. The pool areas were quiet and no queues for anything! The Egyptian staff are optimistic about the future for their country so lets hope this is justified. We're booking up for next March today!
Got back from Sharm on Monday (14th March), had a fantastic holiday in the Hilton Waterfalls resort. Weather was lovely, tho a tad chilly in the evenings, and quite a few mozzies about at the moment so repellent spray all over you in the evenings is essential.

Had a great bargain with the hotel as well, it was just £363 on a website called Hotels4u which I believe is part of the Thomas Cook chain. Also used their transfer service (transfers4u) which again were excellent, and only cost £13 for 2 people return!!!

Flew with ThomsonFly who were great, 50 empty seats on the plane out and 40 on the one back, tho the crew said the flights are filling up now, and looking last night , flight and hotel prices in Sharm are going up consierably now as people return to Egypt.

Hotel staff told us the hotel was at 75% capacity. Only downside is that I had to come back to the UK!!!!
Thanks for that update Gary . Getting excited now , only 4 weeks for us now before we return .
I think my husbands hoping that the dive boats will still be empty though .
We watched the boats going out in the mornings and back in the evenings and they did look pretty empty to be honest so I think your husband will be ok! lol
Hi, im going to sharm next week and before i booked i spoke to a friend who works there as a rep for thomas cook and has been there since january, she said there has been no trouble at all in sharm just been a bit quiet in the resorts.
hi Gary who did u book your flights with if you booked with hotels4u ? was in sharm in feb had a fab time would love to go back but prices very expensive for aug
thanks
suzanne
Ah, im lucky cos my girlfriend is cabin crew with Thomson so we did it using her staff deals.... ;)
well everyone its all from the horses mouth if you want to cancel or have it looks like you paid extra cash to go to somewhere like benidorm for the 85th (mind you air traffic contol going strike time but your holiday insurance dont cover that)time and your travel agent made you pay money to transfer the holiday. my total findings are as follows

1.hotels are empty due to other countries stopping there people from traveling hence instead of an hotel full of russians its empty they move you elsewhere.

2. holidays are now going cheaper cause of bunch of people canceling near last minute making holidays cheaper at last minute.

3.sharm has been untouched if you stay in glasgow in the uk and a bomb goes of in london do you worry or if you stay in london and the students have riots in edinbourgh do you worry.

4.sharm is fine everyone there just trying to make a living and get on with things its now upto you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.