Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Injections
28 Posts
Hi Tony have never had any injections and been going to Bulgaria for many years :wave June
we just got back and we didnt need any before we travelled
we all got polio and hep something can't remeber plus tetanus on the doctors reccommendation
I'm off to sunny beach for 2 weeks on 22nd aug, praying that the weather'll be good.visited my doc this morining for my needles, was advised to have hep A and tetanus as hep A is passed through food and water.
As long as Tetanus is up to date only Hep A is recommended. All others are only needed if you are either going there to work for a period of time or staying in really undeveloped areas of the country.

Sharon
hi,

we were advised to have tetanus, and i also had the combined hep a and typhoid injection.

:shock:
None listed as needed in any of the brochures I read. Also checked on Bulgarian embassy and none listed. I think if you are out roaming about usual needed but in tourist areas you should be ok. 8)
I rather feel the best people to advise on this most important subject are neither package holiday companies, nor the Bulgarian Embassy, nor fellow tourists, but instead the experts - the NHS and your GP.

See Click Here

Better safe than sorry!!

Peter
we got a letter from the travel agents when we booked to say which injections were recommended.

the nurse also recommended that ur tetanus and polio be upto date.

better safe than sorry

8)
I agree Peter, I took the advice of my bosses.........I'm a GP's receptionist.

Sharon
Peter,
Thanks for the advice. We are going to Bulgaria in just under 3 weeks for the first time with Direct Holidays. Nowhere in their brochure does it specifically give advice on injections for travel to Bulgaria.
However after contacting our GP we have been told that although injections are not compulsory they are recommended for Hepatitis A and possibly tetanus.
Like you we feel that it better safe than sorry.
Even if you never leave the UK you should have anti Tetanus [aka lockjaw] jabs and boosters.An awful and often fatal condition easily avoided,common in this country especialy in certain areas.Superfrac.
Hi - last year I called my Dr and was told I didn't need anything just for a two week visit in a tourist area. I just called them again and this time they say I need tetanus (if I'm not up to date already - had last one 12 years ago I think), Hep A and Diptheria. So quite a turnaround from last year. Said I only need typhoid if there is a reported outbreak.
Hi - just to update on this. I went to the Dr yesterday and it seems that the tetanus and diptheria are one injection. I didn't need the hep A because I had a jab in '94 and apparantly it is now licensed for immunity of 20 years.

My partner had his appointment to get his tetanus (he had Hep A just a few years ago) later in the afternoon. He comes in through the door and said the nurse gave him typhoid as well. So I call the surgery this morning and the nurse checks her chart and says should have given me the typhoid too (she said she had a bad day :roll: ) . So back to the surgery tomorrow morning to let her take another javelin run at me :shock:
It is really strange that your Thomsons and cosmos etc. dont advise immunisation in Bulgaria yet advise you get immunised when visiting Turkey,because both these countries have hygene records that suck big-time,and are just across the border from each other,so why one and not the other I ask?
I hasten to add I have visited both these countries,both of which have problems with mosquitos,and horrible hygene problems.
I would never visit either of these countries without getting your jabs first,Its madness to do otherwise.
Personally, I wouldn't say Bulgaria was as bad as Turkey. I went into shocking toilets in the few times I've been to Turkey (though often that is down to people putting loo roll down the loo instead of in the bin)and also spent most of my time in Turkey with upset tummy and bouts of sickness. The only smelly dirty loo I went into in Sunny Beach was ironically the one I paid the most to use (was going to name names but maybe not) and I wasn't ill at all. Might well be different off the tourist trail though. I do feel safer having the Hep A jab though wherever I am because it only takes someone who is carrying it to not wash their hands when they come out the loo and then handle your food. The cleanest premises might have a dirty slob working for them.
well i went to pamukale in turkey and used the toilets there and the place was reeking,toilet paper everywhere pooh too, and the air thick with flies,and that was turkey ,but as i pointed out bulgaria borders turkey,both countries are immpoverished,hygene is non-existant,unless you are lucky enough to stay 4star minimum you are asking for trouble in these countries.
And as for putting toilet paper in the little bucket provided when i stayed in kusadasi and altinkum ,no chance!I WASNT PREPARED TO DEGRADE MYSELF!Funny the holiday companies neglected to mention this disgusting requirement before i booked though.
My toilet paper went down the wc,if these countries arent prepared to invest the rich pickings of tourism in getting their plumbing in order then they shouldnt be opening up there countries to tourists in the first place.
I must add I have been to sunny beach and golden sands,and true enough they dont have holes in the ground as toilet,but the incidence of food poisoning tells its own story.
yes, well not disagreeing with you which is why I have said above that I have have gone for my full set of DoH recommended jabs.
sorry didnt mean to go on, but we all have our own horrible experiences to go by,good luck on your trip
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.