Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Are you booking a package Nic? As if DIY maybe members could help with looking round for the cheapest option.
Hi there, no, they are both through Direct Holidays. Think you can only book the Rising Star through Direct/Airtours, not sure about the Vangelis though. Just hoped that someone could give me an honest opinion on the Vangelis, we'd be going end of May over Whit week.
I have stayed in the Vangelis and they were fine, nice apartments and pool. I think the block near the road can be a bit noisy. I also think the location of the Vangelis is better, more or less central on the main strip. I certainly wouldn pay 700 more for the rising star.
We stayed at the Rising Star two years ago and had our best family holiday ever ... so we feel we have to go back to Protaras but we just can't afford the Rising Star prices this year and have booked to go to the Vangelis next month.
I have read the reviews and am hoping it won't be a let down. We shall take it for what it is and enjoy its more central location.
It was about the same price difference, £700, when we booked and whilst we couldn't fault the Rising Star, we half felt it could be a mistake to go back, particularly as the entertainment team who really made our kids' holiday so special no longer there anymore.
Good luck with your decision. I think once you have made it and booked you just have to be positive and accept your choice
Hi, thanks to for your replies. Still not decided. Iallen, as we are a family of 4, can you tell me what the 1bed apartments at the Vangelis are like sizewise? Is there much storage/wardrobe space? One thing tempting me with the Rising Star is they have a 2 bed apt available at the moment for not a lot more than the 1 bed there.

Nikki 64, what time of year did you go to the Rising Star, we are thinking end of May, including Whit week. How busy was the pool area? I've also heard it can be quite noisy, did you find this to be the case?

Thanks again, any more replies will be greatly received :)
Nikki 64 or anyone else who might know, sorry forgot to ask, did you stay in a 1bed at the Rising Star. Would this be ok for 4 of us if necessary if I decided to wait and then the 2 beds have been booked?
hi nicjw, we stayed in 1 bed apt and it was big enough,our kids were 12 and 7 then.
We had a studio for two and it was plenty big enough.im sure a 1 bed apartment for 4 will be fine
Sorry to but in, but will a studio at rising star be okay for 2 adults and a child as that is what we booked, or should we try and upgrade when we arrive?
Your right Nic re booking direct. Their website states you can't between the following dates 15 May until 15 October 2007
Well we (2 adults, 2 kids - aged 16 and 12 now) have stayed at Vangelis on several occasions anda re going back again this October. One bedroom appt. is big enough for us. For all we stay in the apartments (eat out constantly and go out to the massesof entertainment elsewhere) they are ideally located. :tup
Hello again, we found the one bedroom apartments at the Rising Star to be plenty big enough. Didn't notice it being noisy. We were there in September and there wasn't really a problem getting sunbeds, although you might have to move onto the grassed area to get one. We did find it quite windy sometimes though as the Rising Star is right on the seafront. Sometimes the umbrellas and towels blew away, possibly a problem you won't get at the Vangelis.
That's great Nikki, thanks. Still not made up my mind though! :que
Hi Nic

Although I haven't stayed at either of these hotels I can give a bit of info about them both. The Rising Star is very near to the beach and is reasonably new. It is on a side street that comes off the main strip, when walking from the Rising Star to the main street it's slightly up hill. The pool area is very nice and I believe they have organised childrens activities in the main season. Also part of a group which owns the Golden Star hotel, Rising sun pub and a supermarket and Yianni Marie Restaurant.

The Vangelis is off the Main street so you would be right in the centre of everything, having said that the Hotel is slightly set back from the road so depending on what time of year your're going I don't think you should be bothered too much by the noise. We stayed in the Melini Apartments next door but used the pool at the Vangelis as it was so much better. Depending on what type of holiday you like I would say that the reps that organised the daytime activities in the Vangelis were more "in your face" than the Rising Star. I think this might be why the reviews vary so much as it depends whether or not you like to be organised and roped into things or if you prefer to be left alone.

I hope you get booked up OK and I'm sure you'll have a lovely time in Protaras

Caron C
Hi Caron, thanks for the reply, which is a big help. Definately prefer the look of the Rising Star and what you said about the Vangelis pretty much confirmed what I suspected. Only problem now is, having looked at pictures of 'The Strip', I'm not sure Protaras is for us. I recall visiting Fig Tree Bay on a moped from Ayia Napa approximately 16 years ago, and what I remember was what looked like a quiet little resort with a beautiful beach and just enough restaurants and bars. It would have been too quiet for me at the time(I was 21) but I can remember thinking one day I'll come here with my children when they come along. It definately doesn't look that anymore! So, although the beach still looks stunning I'm not sure I want to travel all that way to a resort that as others have said could be 'anywhere'. I'm not saying Protaras is a definate no but I'm thinking about maybe trying a different resort in Menorca to where we've been before. Will let you know what I decide...but thanks for all the replies...you've all been fab :)
Have now returned from the Vangelis, after staying at Rising Star two years ago and loving it. We were more than happy with the Vangelis and would book to stay there again. It was in a much better location which made it possible to walk to Fig Tree Bay... far better than the beach by the Rising Star. Will post a full hotel review.

The only thing we felt that let the Vangelis down was the poor entertainment team. It made us realise how fantastic Ben 'Apple' and his team had been at the Rising Star two years ago and that it was they who had made our holiday so special, not the Rising Star. (Part of the reason we booked Vangelis was because we knew the Rising Star entertainment team would no longer be the same, as they were all leaving).

We still had a great holiday at the Vangelis but just didn't stay round the pool or round the hotel at night. So if you're not bothered about entertainment I would say there is very little in it between the two hotels.
Where abouts is the Vangelis. I did try to find it to have a look around but couldn't.
About halfway along the Strip, you have to walk between two restaurants to get to the main entrance.
The Vangelis is opposite the Sunrise Beach Hotel and Iliada Hotel. A more central location than the Rising Star and only 5 min walk from Fig Tree Bay but a bit older.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.