Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Varna Airport
5 Posts
It's an OK(ish) small airport, roughly on a par with Tangiers or Monastir many years ago, more pleasant than New Delhi or Bourgas, less pleasant than Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne or a host of other airports.

The officials are, in my experience, generally more welcoming and less overtly corrupt than some of those at Bourgas.
I have been goining through Varna airport for many years and have seen some changes .I think it is quite a good airport.It has always been clean.There was a mix up this year as three flights landed one after another so had a bit of a wait for luggage,so far our cases have always been fine ,a bit dusty but no damage.And you can go out at the top and sit and watch the planes land and take of.They accepted leva and sterling when buying in the duty free ,and also the bar .There was a bit of confusion when we landed at passport control as all the gates were open and there was only one manned gate every one was goining through without getting there passport stamped.All the People had to go back as they had not got there passport stamed.This is the first time any thing like this has happend :fly
Having been through both airports Varna is a much better airport than Bourgas.Can't say much about them when arriving in Bulgaria(both times late at night)and all you want to do is get on the coach to your hotel.But coming home it has been during the day so after check in you have time to look around.
At Bourgas everyone seemed to arrive at the same time(or thats what it looked like)a queue at check in going outside to nearly on the car park.
At Varna as soon as the cases came of the bus a local grabbed them put them on a luggage trolly and said this way,he took us to the check in and put them on the weighing scales,we went through check in within five minutes no queueing,plus Varna as a lovely veiwing area outside on a verranda.
We fly back from Varna airport last week.
You couldnt use Leva for duty free.
Only the cafe and gift shop would take them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.