Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Sorry you didn't like Madeira. I've lived there for some years,Charlie, and its a pity you didn't ask on this forum for peoples views before you went Its essentially for the "older" generation, or "newly-weds or nearly deads"! As far as Funchal is concerned as being "scruffy" remember it is a real working town! Not one designed for tourists. And you cannot blame the weather; the island is in the Atlantic Ocean after all, it never claims to be a "hot" destination. the best temperature you can hope for is about 24C in the high summer. But conversely you wont get colder than 16-18C in the winter. Also the local Autonomous Government has made it a policy not to let the island go the same way as the Spanish costas. Hence few night clubs etc. Regarding the prices, remember everything has to be shipped in from the mainland. But I'm surprised you found it "pricey" as the local Government imposes lower VAT than Portugal proper. I find prices very comparable with the Algrave for example. Finally regarding the building, it is entirely within the "Hotel Zone", that is west of Funchal.You won't find any eslewhere.
Hi Charlie,
I'd be interested to know what your expectations were. Its always difficult with a new destination to know what to expect. To be honest Madeiras not one of your typical package holiday destinations, no beaches or much evening entertainment.

I quite like Fuchal because, as Dan says, its a working town, not a tourist concoction. Its a pleasant enough place to explore with lots of little restaurants tucked round hidden corners.

Its quite noticable that the hotel area in Funchal gets the most sunshine...especially when you're staying up in Monte where you are in the clouds half the time, but we've been three times and the weather is very changeable. Still the island would not be so lush without all that rainfall.

As for the countryside which is spectacular, it is one of the reason many people go - for the levadah and mountain walking trails.

Price wise we've not found it any more expensive than mainland Europe we've had meals for two at around 30 to 40 euros inc a bottle of wine.
I was expecting a quiet relaxing week, with a nice outlook with pretty flowers and views.
I didn't expect so much major building work.
I thought it would be much prettier.
The Hotel area was full of major building, everywhere you turned there were cranes.
Sawing and hammering all day.
12 hours a day 6 days a weeks.
I ment it was over priced to go there.
The prices in the Resturants and bars were O.K
I don't no about the shops I didn't go shopping.

We had a few half days of sun the rest of the time it was dark cloud still warm .
We landed in the pouring rain.

I have to say the Madeiran people are lovely.
Charlie, which hotel did you stay at?
We stayed at the Tivoli Ocean park.
Hi Charlie, Yes I know it well, 5 star establishment; overlook the Lido. I'm sorry about your stay, but I agree with the building sites around that area. I think I'm spoiled as my daughter works for the Pestana Group which is based in Madeira, and I think I must get preferential treatment. :D Anyway, I hope you visit Portugal proper, especially the west of Algarve which has a lot more to offer without being tatty. I especially like the Lagos area.
I know what you mean Charlie. We went to Madeira a couple of years ago and were disappointed. We like quiet holidays with nice scenery and going around gardens, so we thought Madeira would be perfect. We're not beach people and we make our own entertainment at night.
Maybe we were expecting too much, I don't know. Unfortunately we were at the "hotel" end which we hated, but we did like Funchal town itself. We hired a car for a few days and loved going to the north of the island. If it hadn't been for that, our holiday would have been extremely disappointing. We found the food to be mediocre but not expensive.
I know some people who love it and go back year after year, and I also know people who have been once and won't go back. It just goes to show that we're all different. But I'm glad we went, if only to see the north of the island and all the beautiful flowers.
I don't think did enough touring - the central area and northern coast have some spectacular scenery.

If you had done more touring you would have been out of the hotel, seen more scenery, endured less building noise and the weather could have been better. We had one day of cloud so went north and it was sunny.
Our last holiday we stayed in a Quinta (Quinta do Monte)...outside the hotel area with lovely large gardens and a small chapel. Biggest problem though was we were up in the clouds a lot. Maybe a property like that is more suitable for a stay in Madeira.
We went out of the Hotel every day we had to.
If we were not inside the Hotel or in the spa we went out.
We did all the touring I could take.
Up to Monte in the cable car , not even a commentory of the area, round the very dark and damp gardens down in the Toboggan where you pay 25 euros and then have to give tips to the men before they will let you out of the toboggan. :roll:
Then have to pay again to get a taxi back down the Funchal or walk down a very steep hill where one lady fell and hurt her leg.
A full day doing the west tour. 8 hrs got a bit much.
A day in Funchal.
The tour bus.
The walk along the front lido area to the Cavacas. Many times.
The walk from Funchal to the lido area. Twice

It was supposed to be a relaxing week off work at the hotel and spa .
A nice rest and have a look around the island.
Breakfast on the balcony .
Not a chance the builders had started before we got up.
Lazy afternoons swimming and reading round the pool.
To much noise hammering and banging drilling and sawing , cranes swinging .

I've seen as nice scenery here in the U.K
Without having to fly for 3 1/2 hrs
Sorry but it wasn't for me.

It will probably be nice when it's finished.
The lidos are nice and the people are lovely.
But I couldn't recommend it to anyone.
It wasn't what I expected.
It could have been worse it could have been 2 weeks instead of one.

So if anyone is not happy about little lizards running round their feet and up your chair legs ,packs of dogs mating next to the table where you are eating , Building work from 7 till 7 , 6 days a week. I'd give the hotels around the lido area a miss. :lol:
But everyone is different and some people might and do love it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.