Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Riu Bachata, Riu Mambo, Riu Merengue are three hotels next to each other right on the beach and you have use of all three (except for evening meal, you have to use the Riu you are booked in) otherwise, you have FULL use of all three (food and drink). We stayed at Merengue, fantastic. Not too wise to go out the complex alone though, that it why you have use of all three, to keep you occupied and you will be, but there are organised trips. Each hotels have different games/night time shows every day/night, you won't be disappointed. Great for families, singles, couples and lots of different nationalities, mainly British. Enjoy :hols
Any more help required please just ask.
Thanks both! :)
I have checked the reviews of all the hotels that I listed, and that's when the confusion started really. I know to take reviews with a pinch of salt and to keep it in perspective, but no matter which one I looked at there seemed to be dodgy reviews. I know the biggest issue with that is that everyone has different expectations, so I thought if people know where I have stayed before they will know the sort of thing I like. ;)
The Riu's are coming out as favourites at the moment, but I think if we were absolutely honest the South appeals more than the North. Saying that, I think that we could be very easily swayed though!
The Iberostar hotels are worth a look too, but will probably be slightly more expensive than the RIUs but still very good value in July compared to peak season prices.

We have stayed at both Casa del Mar and Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus in Bayahibe and would rate the IHD as better than CdelM although we are talking 2 years ago for IHD ( 2 visits ) and 3/4 years ago for CdelM and things can change. We would still go back to either without hesitation but would probably choose IHD.

We have also stayed in Boca Chica on the south coast ( at the Hamaca ) , which is closer to Santo Domingo if you are interested in the Capital and its history. If you are seeking mainly R & R then Bayahibe takes some beating.

I would have to disagree with Dawntra about exploring on your own, in 6 Dom Rep holidays we have never had a problem, you just need to be sensible not to flash cash and jewelry and to be cautious about which areas you visit. We have walked all around Puerta Plata and Santo Domingo during the day without problems, it just feels a little strange until you get used to it, which took us about 5-10 minutes. Nightime is a whole different situation where you would be best advised only to go out on organised trips. Remember the hotel complex guards are primarily there to stop freeloading locals getting in and not you going out !

Good luck with your choice

Scubaman
HI. I'd recommend one of the Riu's in the North. We stayed at the Merengue a couple of years ago and also spent a lot of time at the Bachata and Mambo. I think A/I's can get a bit repetetive if you only have the use of one hotel, but as mentioned above you can use the facilities of all three of these hotels which really are in an excellent position in relation to each other and the beach. They are in a straight line along the beachfront with the Merengue being in the middle. It doesn't really matter which one you stay in so personally I'd book the cheapest because the only thing you can't do at the othere 2 hotels is sleep and take your evening meal.

We went to the Riu chain in Playa del carmen Mexico last year and had a fab holiday but in my opinion the Dom Rep holiday came out slightly better. The layout of the hotels were better or it might have been that it was our first caribbean holiday, who knows :que
Good luck with your choice :cheers
Hi Sunaholic!! We went to the Riu Macao Palace on the east side in June 2005..The hotel was more expensive than the bambo which was close by..but we all loved it!!
We went to the Riu Macao Palace on the east side

Hi Tracey. We were only looking with our friends today and said how nice that hotel looked, only it never seems to come up on any of the searches. :que
I'd recommend one of the Riu's in the North

We are still toying with the idea of the Riu's, as we both stayed in Riu hotels last year and really rated them. :)
Scubaman, I would love to stay at the IHD as it looks fabulous, but again that never comes up on any searches. We're thinking our budget is going to be about £1000pp for the 14 nts so I don't think we'd get that under budget anyway :(
We were looking again at the Gran Ventana today. For some reason I have always let that hotel pass me by, but looking at the reviews and photo's it does look really nice and is only coming in at £955pp. Am I missing something?
Oh well the search goes on :cheers
You might like to check out this link to best budget hotels for 2008 which has Iberostar Bavaro at No 4 !

http://budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2008/01/06/AR2008010600975.html

Good luck with your choice

Scubaman
IHD £2153 / couple ex Manchester 4 July ( not sure where you would want to fly from ! ) on Eclipse.

Scubaman
Thanks Scubaman, I do love the look of the Iberostar Bavaro. Then again, I love all the Iberostars!
That price for the IHD is brilliant and we would stretch to that. Only thing is, I'm a teacher so can't go away until we break up so I'm afraid the 19th is the earliest we could go :(
I sympathise with your plight as IHD prices shoot up for school hols and then plummet down to under £2000 at the very end of August ( and hurricane season ).

Some friends of ours went to Grand Ventana and thought it was great - good luck with your choice.

Just to make you jealous we are off to the Iberostar Grand in Mexico on 17th Feb ( instead of Kenya ) but it has cost us a lot more than we had originally paid to go to Kenya - but we dont want to think we had to settle for second best.

Dick
HI Sunaholic,
Where do you want to fly from? We had great prices for the Riu's from Cardiff during August. I unfortunately have to go during peak periods also as I'm a special needs assistant in a school.
Hi, we are going to Dreams PC this year, but our favourite hotel we have been to in the DR was the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, Have been to the Riu's twice in the north and was dissappointed with my last visit.
Hi Sunaholic..Portland fly to Dom Rep to the Riu Macao on 28th July for 2 weeks..Costs £1360 each..from Manchester..we really loved the hotel, and the beach was lovely!!..not much around in the area, except about 4 other hotels, alittle strip of local shops..did a few excursions..but we al loved it..It was my bday while there..didnt tell hotel or anything! but must of saw it..they decorated our room as a surprise!! was lovely!! complete surprise....
Enjoy..
Tracey...
ps..lucky thing!! NYC, mexico and Dom rep!!!!
Just to make you jealous we are off to the Iberostar Grand in Mexico on 17th Feb

Oh I am very jealous, it looks gorgeous! :) We're off to Mexico too but have got to wait til the end of March for that.
ps..lucky thing!! NYC, mexico and Dom rep!!!!

Yep I know, very lucky this year :-D We only usually have one main holiday per year and then maybe a cheap last minute week if we can get one, but seen as though NYC and Mexico was paid for last year and was from our compensation money we are still allowing ourselves our usuall holiday funds for another trip. :cheers
we are going to Dreams PC this year

Is the Dreams formerly Sunscape the Beach? :think If so, you will have a fantastic time. It is that resort that has spoilt us really :lol:
Shirley h, we are really looking to fly from Manchester but looking on Eclipse last night, Birmingham was coming up cheaper so we could always go from there.
Hi, I have been following your thread and noticed that you mentioned a BMX flight to the Dominican and I just wanted to say that I would not leave it to long to book your holiday. We are flying from BMX on 22 july and that flight is now full. The prices have now dropped considerably with eclipse, I have been following the prices for several weeks.I changed my holiday to the DR from turkey and got it at a great price and then shortly after it shot up by over £800 for the 3 of us. They prices have been changing up and down for weeks.
This is our first trip to the Dominican other than a brief stop over when evacuated from Mexico during a hurricane and it was to the north.After doing lots of research i think you would be better in the south or east of the DR because of the lovely beaches and the more carribean feel.We love the riu hotels but the ones in the north only serve local drinks and we prefer a decent choice of international branded drinks. We had 3 weeks in Mexico in 2005 at the riu tequila and loved that hotel. The riu macoa and palace have the ultra all-inclusive but not the sister hotels in the area, the bambu, taino ect.
Thanks for your reply violet123 :smile:
Oh no, the 22nd has sold out? :cry: That will be why when I looked last night it wasn't coming up with anything! You will not be disappointed going to the South, we've been twice and loved it! Oh well I'll have another check. We are in a position to book as soon as we find a hotel that ticks all the boxes and is within our budget, so fingers crossed :smile:
Also, can you book flights from Birmingham to Dominican on Eclipse? I've looked on FC but when choose BMX on Eclipse it doesn't give DR as an option?? :que
An "outside the box" suggestion !

If DR prices in school hols are an issue - i.e. you can find what you want but it is 25-3-% over budget why not consider the RIU Garopa in Cape Verde which will be close to budget , has a caribbean like climate, is a shorter flight ( from Manchester with either Capeverdeexperience or Thomson ) and virtually no jetlag ! We have been there too and that was most enjoyable ( similar standards to Casa del Mar ).

Otherwise I would dig deeper into my pocket rather than risk dissappointment !

Good luck

Dick
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.