Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
There's also a thread on here for Village Royal...somewhere! :shock: We were offered it too this year. From the info that I gleaned.....its on the road that goes off towards Mapsa......just past that GREAT big white cathedral. Only about 5-10 minutes walk to Osborne Resort. Taxi rank outside. It has 4 blocks...2 complete...and the other two although completed are still having the interior finished. It was shut down in October/November as it didn't come up to ABTA's standards hence the rebuild. ...BUT that wouldn't put me off....as you say..the price was so good...don't know what you've been offered but we could get it for...£371 on 3rd Feb for 2 weeks. As long as it was clean (ish!) we were ok with that...intended to use it as base only...and quite honestly...how much time do you spend in your room??? (hardly ever if you're like us! :lol: ).but got a good deal at the Dona Terazhina instead in the end. Let me know how it was???
Regards
Pam
Thanks Pam for your info, we actually got it for 280 each which we just could not refuse, we have been to Goa a few times so we know if we don't like the hotel there are plenty of other places to go to.

We are the same, we only use our hotel to sleep in we don't even bother with the breakfast so if the room is ok we will just use it as a base like any other hotel. Only three weeks to go, can't wait. :D
Forgot to say the 280 each was for 2 weeks, we think that is a bargain. :)
:wow That's fantastic!! Thought our deal was relatively good....£379 for two weeks Dona Terazhina..flying out this Saturday....we got ours through Instant Holiday....do you mind me asking who you booked through?? As you say - plenty of other places to move to if its rough and at that price you can! This is our 5th time back. Have a great time!!! :wave
We booked ours through Get Set on the teletext the tour operator is Jewel in the Crown, we go on 10th March from Gatwick. The way to get a good deal is to get a quote first then ring around they all try to out do each other. They actually offered us flight only for 269 but then when they reduced the Village Royale to 280 we couldn't refuse it for the sake of another 11 pounds each
:lol: Yep...thats exactly how we've been doing our holidays for the last 10 years or so! It was like playing 'chicken' this year though as I really wanted to go in February. They all started off at the £550-£600 mark...all trying to put the frighteners on us by saying that there aren't as many seats this year....etc etc. !!!!! leaving it few days at a time...then WHAM three came up all roughly the same price...the other was the Colonia de Braganza. We knocked our hotel down from £399 to £379 by doing exactly what you do! Must admit though..you have us beat this year!!! Well done! We fly from Gatwick too! :lol: :lol: :lol: Just been to check...we're with Thomas Cook! :lol:
Even at 379 thats a bargain when you consider what you spend when you are there, also you couldn't go to Spain for 2 weeks for that price and who would want to any way.

We stayed at the Colonia de Braganza in Nov 04 we actually booked for the Osborne but when we got there that was overbooked, Braganza was OK but we paid alot more then because we had our son with us in his own room. This time its just the two of us :love

No need to say it but have a great time :glynis
Just got back from Village Royal on Monday. For a two star hotel it's not bad, better than some I've stayed in in Goa. Friendly staff, great lads behind the bar (say hello to Valentine and Antony and Bim from Alan) and the food and entertainment is ok. About 2k from the beach....
Thanks for that Gooner Fan, sounds good enough for us, we were in Calangute in Dec 04 right in the centre so for us to be out a little will be a nice change. Were there any places around that area that you would recommend. Thanks :)
Hiya

My son and his wife are airbound now from Gatwick travelling to the Village Royale. Their price was £309 each but considering they only booked yesterday (25th February) don't suppose it's too bad. The reason for the late booking was problems with his wife's visa which she got back from the Birmingham Embassy at 5pm last night. She then went on the internet got the 'package' and then got parking and hotel at Gatwick. I can't think where this hotel is situated, in the past we have always stayed at the Osborne so if it is in this area they will be at the opposite end to where they normally stay. My price for 2 weeks (Xmas & New Year 2005) at the Santiago (haven't been here before so info appreciated) was around £1600. Incidentally he tells me that they land in Bahrain for a refuel but don't get off the plane so no chance of a quick fag.
http://www.hostelz.com/display.php/8661+Village+Royale

Could be this one in calangute. Seems to be a hostel of sorts.
Hi Linda, I would not worry too much about the hotel for the price they have paid even if it is the pits, so what, they can easily move on, you would find it hard just to get a flight only for that.

We also usually stay around the Osborne resort but that is alot more expensive, also we booked the Osborne Nov 04, when we arrived they put us in another hotel because Osborne was overbooked. In the end it did us a favour because we ended up in the middle of Calangute which was great.

I think wherever you stay in Goa you will have a great time and if you don't like it, then move on.

We have just 12 days to go, can't wait. :D
:) Hi Linda,
Just had a look at that web site that Mrstella put on as a link to the hotel, doesn't look that bad. :tup
Will you get you son to post a review of the guest house when he gets back, at the prices it is advertsing for booking independently it may be worth the idependently traveller having a look, at those prices it could mean being able to spend more time in Goa :pele :pele
jayne :wave
Stayed here in Feb, New hotel now. Usual basic 2* hotel, basic but clean and friendly staff. It's nearby St Alex church, by the fountain as you come into Calungute.....
We are also booked in the Village Royale on 18th March for two weeks and cant wait!! Like you we have decided if it is too far out then we can always pick up some other accomodation when we get there. The price was far cheaper to have B&B than flight only! We go from Gatwick (bit of a drag) but the journey is well worth it. Enjoy your holiday!

Jo & Gray
Hiya

Received a telephone call last night from my son (11.30pm Goan time). The Village Royale was too far out for them so they got their own accommodation at a place called The Sunflower for 300 RS a night. Their flight with Monarch from Gatwick which they thought refuelled in Bahrain actually went direct and he tells me took just over 8.1/2 hrs (must have had a tail wind). Have tried to find this resort on the net but have had no luck. Wish I was there I'd have no problem finding it then.
Just back....ours was a direct flight through..8 hours going (tail wind!)....10 and half coming back (head wind!)

Village Royal is on the Mapusa Road. If coming out of Osborne onto 'main' road take the rh fork... go down as far as the BIG white church, turn left passed the church and hotel is down there.
I am off to the Village Royale on 31/03/05. Accommodation is booked for 16 days. Managed to get the flight and hotel for £379pp for me and my 5 year old daughter.

At that price it was too great to miss out on. I've managed to read a review on here somewhere buried deep within this site about the accommodation which didn't seem too bad. Something about rice paddy fields nearby, dark road leading to hotel, need a torch when walking at night, not really an option to walk to Calagunte town centre or beach.

As it is very basic (so I've been told by travel company), I don't think I want to stay there for the whole of my holiday. I would like to move on, say spend half the time in north and half in south.

Any suggestions for a decent place to stay in South that is child friendly?

I'll be arriving at 05:00am Goa time so I guess brekkie will be a few hours later.

I'm returning on 15/04/05. If anyone is staying there around this time, send me a message, I would be interested in hooking up with peeps and going on various excursions with friendly faces, especially if you're in the same boat as me with kid(s). :wave

First holiday as an adult, first holiday with my child and first holiday in 10 years so I'm a bit apprehensive about this :roll: . But hey, if I'm going on holiday, screw Europe, gotta think big!! :D

I am not sure whether to book excursions online prior, or wait until I get there. I also want to try out paragliding but am unsure if I can do this as my daughter would have to wait on the boat for me, is this possible? My mate was saying she can go on the ride with me but that sounds insane, has anyone heard of this? :hmmm or if there is a kids club facility where you can leave them for a few hours and get a massage, paraglide, etc.

I would be greatful for all advice and suggestions given.
I am looking to book up next years holiday and was given a good price at the above hotel. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience here.

thank you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.