Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Has anyone bought a Visa in the past few weeks just wondering if they were still $15 USD?
18 days to go!!!!!! :sun2
Anyone booking holidays to Sharm via Thomas Cook may need to be careful regaurding visa's.

I had to have a right go at the staff in my town, every time i book, they tell me it states everyone needs a visa to get into Sharm. I told them their facts were wrong, and they didnt like it! I said you only needed a visa when travelling out of the Sinai, going as many times as i do, moi should know :que .

They also said you had to take $. When we arrived the first time, they didnt like $, so had to change them all at the bank!

Michellex
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
I was looking through the visa thread :think

Some much conflicting info.

I'm not sure if people are using the pound symbol when the mean dollar & vice versa.

How much is the visa per person in dollars in sterling pounds (& in Euros & Egyptian too if anyone knows).

I will buy it in whatever currency gets me the best deal. I have some dollars so if thats the best deal I will use them.

We do plan on Cairo (bit nervy after the bus crash). Probably Ras Mohamad by boat & St Catherines (I understand you don't need it for those two).

If I didn't get one & decided to go to Cairo can I buy one then?
Would it cost more?

Thank you

The other thread has sooooooo many different prices on it :duh
hi the visa is 10 egypt pound but you will have to get it at the airport if u are thinking of going to cARIO OR GOING ON A boat trip and no need to worry about the bus crash as i went in 2006 with no problem ?any question just ask
hi the visa is 10 egypt pound but you will have to get it at the airport if u are thinking of going to cARIO OR GOING ON A boat trip and no need to worry about the bus crash as i went in 2006 with no problem ?any question just ask

Hi thanks for that.

10 Egypt pounds is only about 1 Sterling pound, I thought it was much more than that?
Kim, trust me! The official price for a visa which is now printed on the stamp, is US$15 (US dollars), not 10LE (egyptian pounds). It has been this price for several years. If you do not intend to travel outside of the Sinai area, except to the Ras Mohamed National ParK, you do not need to purchase an additional visa. If you intend to take excursions to Cairo, Luxor, etc., you do need to buy a visa. Unfortunately, a lot of the major tour company reps will tell you that you need a visa, regardless! This is not true!!!! It is just a way for them to earn a few extra pounds from people who do not visit egypt regularly.

If the visa was 10 egyptian pounds (£1 sterling), it would cost more than that for them to collect it! :roll:
If you still have reservations about this, please ask!!! We are here to help!
As the veggie states, the price is printed on the stamp, click HERE for proof.

I would have posted this before he did, but I was looking for the relevant URL! ;)
Thank you Carrot :cheers

So 30 Dollars for both of us.

Sorry to be a pain, but IF we were to pay for it in Sterling, how much would it be?

IF I don't get it at the airport & decide to go to Cairo, is it a pain or more expensive to get it afterwards?
Sorry to post again, but once it gets merged with the big thread up top, questions don't get answered. Please leave it here on its own, just till I get an answer.

Thank you Carrot, So the visa is 15 dollars each.

Sorry to be a pain, but IF we were to pay for it in Sterling, how much would it be?

IF I don't get it at the airport & then decide to go to Cairo, is it a pain or more expensive to get it afterwards?

Thanks.
Kim, US$15 is getting on for £8 sterling at the present exchange rate.

I have had no problem in the past getting a visa after arrival when staying in Sharm. It is my opinion that to get you to spend the money on an excursion, the reps will normally be able to help with obtaining a visa during your stay. Don't let them tell you it costs more to do this. The visa is still only $15!

I hope this clarifies things for you and you have a great holiday.
Thanks Carrot,
I thought if you paid in sterling they charged £10 or £12 (which is a bad deal!).
Thank you.
When I travelled to Turkey you had to pay £10 for a visa and it had to be given in a ten pund note as they do not give or accept change. How is this in Egypt?
Cairo - mainly...
Perhaps the National Park at Ras Mohammed.
Nette . we flew into Taba at easter . No You dont need a visa but as with sharm before you proceed to passport control you still need to get a stamp in your passport for which you will have to wait in the same queue as those buying Visas. to be fair when we got to the desk the guy was very good and did ask if we intended to go to cairo. We said our usual No and that no visa was required , no problems at all . I think you still get more misleading info from the tour operators than you do from the Egyptians in the arrivals hall. I still cannot believe the confusion once you get inside the terminal building . Most people dont have a clue and much to my families embarrassment I stick my nose into as many confused conversations as possible and put them right ;)

lyn
we're going to sharm again and have never bothered with a visa before because we didn't venture further afield,but if we decided once there that we did want to go to cairo, is it possible to get a visa once you are at your hotel,say a few days into your holiday?
If you are not sure whether you require a visa or not, dont panic reguarding trips, your TA can get you one. At least that way, you are paying for one unnecessarily.
If you are not sure whether you require a visa or not, dont panic reguarding trips, your TA can get you one. At least that way, you are paying for one unnecessarily.

Is it more expensive though? To get the TA to get you one in resort?

I'm planning on getting mine in dollars, I understand its $15.
As thats only £7.50 (ish in UK) surely thats got to be the cheapest way to buy it?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.