Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
heard my flight wasnt happening this morning, so went out with my friens to drown our sorrows, fell down 2 steps and broke 3 bones, now well and trley plastered.that holiday wasnt for me.
From the BBC live news page on the Volcano.

1040 UK Transport Secretary Lord Adonis says further test flights are also set to take place in the UK later.

Should be interesting to see the results if we can.

Ed
There is a serious flaw in the BBC Q&A info (link posted by Helen yesterday evening). I'm sat here with a printed copy of EU regulation 261/2004 (I don't fly without it!!) and it specifically states in para.14 of the intro that, as in the Monteal Convention, the airline is exempt from liabilty if the problem is "extraordinary circumstances which could not be avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken".

On Cancellation rights , in para 3 of article 5, it says the same.

So, unless you can show that the airline is responsible for the volcano or could have carried on even when the national ATC regulator banned them, you have no claim for compensation.

This then brings us to the problem that large parts of the UK population, including the BBC New Channel anchorman this morning, do not understand the difference between the words refund and compensation.
For those trying other methods to/from Dublin Stena have announced some ferry cancellations, see http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=144333 - especially Cate!
I live under the flight path of Newcastle airport and was surprised yesterday afternoon when I heard a plane. :que
It was a small propeller type and quite low.
I've seen a few around, low level and piston engine should be OK. It's turbine engines that are at risk. Several of the air ambulance services have also resumed at low level (helicopters also use turbines).

Maybe nows the time to buy shares in this lot http://www.zeppelinflug.de/seiten/E/default.htm
steve8482 wrote:
There is a serious flaw in the BBC Q&A info (link posted by Helen yesterday evening). I'm sat here with a printed copy of EU regulation 261/2004 (I don't fly without it!!) and it specifically states in para.14 of the intro that, as in the Monteal Convention, the airline is exempt from liabilty if the problem is "extraordinary circumstances which could not be avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken".

On Cancellation rights , in para 3 of article 5, it says the same.

So, unless you can show that the airline is responsible for the volcano or could have carried on even when the national ATC regulator banned them, you have no claim for compensation.

This then brings us to the problem that large parts of the UK population, including the BBC New Channel anchorman this morning, do not understand the difference between the words refund and compensation.

This is correct, you have no claim for compensation. However you do have a right to "care" such as accommodation and meals.

luci :wave
I'm starting to get quite worried now, I'm due to fly to Puerto Plata on 2nd May :-(
Qatarman
I can't believe what you are writing! What value do you put on your life and that of millions of others. I don't want to fall out of the sky and whilst I am disappointed my flight and therefore I won't make my cruise at least I am at home safe and well. I do feel for those out there who are stranded with little money.
My Granddaughter of 12 got home last night at midnight from Italy. 4 Teachers with a group of kids 12 &13 in Rome for 4 days. Due to come home Thursday moved to Venice no flight Friday. Left by coach 9pm Friday missed the booked ferry at 2pm yesterday due to heavy traffic on roads.
Came into Dover with a coach from Harrogate to meet them. They are exhausted as will the teachers no doubt. A lot of the kids travel sick and my Daughter obviously concerned about her child!
I feel too for the 3rd world countries where they have had to destroy rotting fruit flowers in places like Kenya who are desperately poor in the first case. This has a knock on effect for many industries and not just for us who want to go on holiday. There may well be Airlines as well as other tourist industries job losses etc due to this.
Do you really think that the Airlines want to be grounded!! Enough said but when I read your comments it made me very angry. You can flame me if you like but I would like to think that I have some voice of reason. Human nature makes us all a bit selfish and I am not immune to that either but!

Sue
So glad your grandaughter and her group are home safe and well. As you say we are lucky to be safe in our own homes. I would not want to be on a flight at the moment anyway.
Jay Trip wrote:
I live under the flight path of Newcastle airport and was surprised yesterday afternoon when I heard a plane.
It was a small propeller type and quite low.

There isn't a ban on the flying of all aircraft. The ban is only for commercial aviation flying in restricted airspace. It is only a recomendation that light aircraft do not fly at this time. Blackpool has active over the last few days for example and Manx2 had special dispensation to operate some of their schedule from the Isle Of Man. The NOTAM is as follows:

DUE TO VOLCANIC ERUPTION IN ICELAND FIR LOVV AFFECTED BY
VOLCANIC ASH. NO IFR CLEARANCE WILL BE ISSUED FOR FLIGHTS PENETRATING FIR LOVV
BELOW FL245. VFR TURBINE POWERED ACFT NOT PERMITTED EXEPT RESCUE AND AMBULANCE
FLIGHT. VFR FLIGHTS ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO MONITOR RELEVANT SIGMETS AND
NOTAMS.

Darren
If you addressing me please spell my online name correctly.What I have wrote is fact the longer this goes on the more it will hit the Airline/Tourist industry,there are Airlines at the moment on the brink prior to this problem BA for one.
As Darren points out it could be Friday this week before Flying could start and it will take well into May to get things back to normal,however if the wind changes again it will be back to square one.
Lets see what happens with KLM and Lufthansa later today or tomorrow.
  • Edited by qatarman 2010-04-18 13:30:09
Thanks for that Steve. I'm keeping an eye out on situation with flights. If I find out that my flight is cancelled and it's looking increasingly likely, I will explore all other options. Have noted comment about police being used to control the crowds, that is putting me off using Holyhead as although I would hope that following directions from them would mean we'd be able to keep the girls and us away from trouble, it only takes 1 angry person and anything could happen.
Sorry if this has already been answered but how do passengers like ourselves and thousands of others who have already booked and paid for a package holiday stand in relation to the airlines not being able to fly passengers abroad ? Do we lose everything or are we covered in any way with regards to flight/accommodation ?

We fly end of July btw.

:que
Rotterdam,

You'll find a few posts over the last few pages in relation to your question, particularly Glynis HT Admin's. In essence, if you've booked a package deal via tour operator, you'll be offered a refund or an alternative at a later date if you holiday is cancelled. If you'll booked direct (seperately), then it depends on the policy of those who you've booked with. Some are offering refunds or transfers but as it's an act of god, some aren't. You'll need to speak to whoever you've booked things with to see what they are offering. A lot can happen between now and July!

Darren
Luci

Good point about the "care" issue but I suspect they have a way round it. The hotel/taxi/food situation is covered by Article 9 of 261/2004 but that sets out the standard if your flight is cancelled and they rebook you onto another more than one day later. If you let them do a refund and so end the contract you may be on your own. This is one occasion when those on packages are in a strong position because they can't refund the flight portion on it's own. You should never accept a flight refund if things are getting this bad - unfortunately the media are telling people they are entitled to refunds so they are asking for them! there was a case on here last summer (or maybe previous) when Thomsonfly cancelled a Coventry-Jersey flight and quickly gave everyone refunds, telling them that they ha dtime to get to Birmingham for a Flybe service that had seats. Except many of the refunds were for early booking £25 flights and Flybe wanted over £100! The passengers could have refused the refund and demanded Thomson supply the Flybe tickets but by the tme they found out it was too late.
I apologise and I have rectified my error

Sue
Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Sunday April 18, 1500

Conditions around the movement of the layers of the volcanic ash cloud over the UK remain dynamic. NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace. We are currently awaiting CAA guidance.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

Based on the latest information from the Met Office, NATS advises that the restrictions currently in place across UK controlled airspace will remain in place until at least 0700 (local time) tomorrow, Monday 19 April.

To me it looks like they are waiting for the results from test flights and the opinion from engine experts to see if the dust cloud is dense enough to cause problems, with a bit of luck they will find its dispersed enough not to cause any concern.

Ed
I'm exploring other routes for Friday starting with Stena on the Belfast-Stranraer route, local news has said that although they're busy, they are coping and have so far managed to get everyone who has wanted to travel on ferries, that's going to be my first choice. Do have another possible though, hubby and I are planning on going up to Skegness next Monday for a couple of days. Now thinking that if flight to Stansted on friday is cancelled but the airspace between Belfast and Northern England is open, that we could fly into Leeds or East Midlands and travel down to Skegness then head for my parents. Won't get to see my cousin but he's getting married in August so will see him then.

keela leva2: Glad your grand daughter has got home safe.

Dazbo: Glad your friends have got home as well.

Just to make it clear, I do feel for those stranded abroad especially families with young children or who don't have a lot of money to pay for expenses such as food. I also feel for those who've had special trips cancelled like the bride & groom who are in Cancun I think it is but aren't sure if their families are going to be able to get flights.
If this goes on much longer then I can see airlines going bankrupt and food shortages. It'll be people on low incomes that'll be hit hardest as a lot of them don't have finance to bulk buy.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.