Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
My OH is meant to be flying back from America in 13hours, which will be Thursday afternoon where he is into gatwick then up to Scotland......I don't think his chances are good...keep you posted on how he gets on!
Based on current projections, the National Air Traffic Control Service (NATS) does not anticipate any improvement in the situation in the foreseeable future, making it very unlikely that air traffic restrictions will be lifted at 6pm.

David :wave
It's just been announced no non-emergency flights will be permitted in to or out of British airspace until 7am Friday morning. A review of the current situation will be announced around 8pm.

Darren
hi all for those intrested in just what volcanic ash can do to aircraft engines watch national geographic at 16.00 uk time today :tup
My flight from Dusseldorf to Manchester at 14:00 has been cancelled, just trying to get through to transfer onto a flight tomorrow but the lines are solid, can't do it on the internet as they no longer recognise my booking reference.

Hopefully will get home tomorrow.

Dave

Well I have been transferred to the 6.45am flight tomorrow morning, Lufthansa won't pay for my Hotel as it is an act of god beyond their control, fortunately it will be expensed to the company.

If the situation continues tomorrow I will look at getting the train, costed it today £400 one way back to Manchester.

Dave
The program on Nat geographic is also repeated at 10pm tonight

Air Crash Investigation
'All Engines failed'

John
Latest news from Ireland both North and South of ireland is there will be not flights until 6am tomorrow morning ...colleen
There is a forecast map on the BBC website at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8622978.stm . As you'll see, it's basically running like a weather front and countries are closing down just ahead of it. That means that whenever UK and Ireland reopen , eastern and northern Europe may still be closed for several hours longer. Not to mention planes in the wrong place!

Rotterdam, your son should also be aware of a strike threat in German air traffic control which might kick off this weekend.
Here in my hotel in Benidorm, all day they have taken people to Alicante airport, even for flights departing this evening, when it was already showing on sky TV in the hotel that Uk airspace is closed until tomorrow at the earliest.
These people will be spending a considerable time stuck at Alicante, there's no information available and not a rep in sight...
One woman told me, "if you want any information you have to phone the TO help line at 50 pence a minute."

Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2010-04-15 16:11:45
Considering that all non emergency flights are supposed to be grounded, I am surprised to be watching the seaplane service apparently operating as normal this afternoon to/from its River Clyde base in Glasgow. Would this be something to do with the lower altitude which these aircraft fly at along the west coast ?

David,

They'll be flying in non-restricted airspace and are probably non-commercial (they only do ad-hoc charters now don't they?) so there's no reason why they can't fly as far as I know. They have to stay under 5,000ft in VFR conditions though.

Darren
Thanks Darren. In addition to their excursions programme, they do still operate a Glasgow/Oban service as far as I know. I was just a little surprised to watch them come in 3 times so far this afternoon.

Does anyone know if the volcano is still erupting now?
Good question! An hour the BBC said yes. But I think the problem stems from the initial explosion so if it's "just" pouting out molten lava down the side it might not be any worse. There is uncertainty over exactly where the ash cloud extends and where it's heading to.
What are the chances of this still affecting flights from Belfast - London Stansted next Friday? Going over to England to visit family.
to dksbbs

Dave

do not pay the £400 before reading the PM I'm about to send you (it's a bit specific to your problem and off topic for everyone else!)
What are the chances of this still affecting flights from Belfast - London Stansted next Friday? Going over to England to visit family.

Hi cate ... as yet no one even knows the situation for this weekend and so you will need to wait a little longer to see how things develop.

update, OH has been told Monday before he will be able to get back to the UK from America.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.