Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
You are not supposed to take any meat or dairy produce but people very often do.

You can get pretty everything out there though so I wouldn't have thought you would need to take much with you unless it is something you can only get at home and can't live without for 2 weeks.
I have taken back bacon and sausages,which I havnt been able to buy from supermarkets over there ! I also take butter and Cheddar,Cheshire cheese,which are very expensive.I put them in a small coolbag and put them in my case just before I leave for the airport,the butter is still solid when I arrive at my apartments. :wave:
I would say bacon,the hotel owner where we stay always asks for bacon to
be taken for him.
Also t-bags & nescafe coffee,has crispy said cheese & butter.chocolate & chocolate
biscuits, can cost a lot in resort.
We do the hotel B/B or H/b, so we don't need the above meats,dairy produce.
But do take t-bags,chocolate & chocolate biscuits, cheese biscuits.
We always take a couple bottles of spirits for room.
Again the hotel owner asks for smirnoff vodka to be taken for him.
Hi, If you are trav elling with children I always take some cereal. Mine love their cereal and you can't always get what they like out there (except chocolate variety things which I always ended up with when mine ran out.) Cereal is also very expensive. I took some cartons of long life milk in my suitcase so we were OK for the 1st morning and not having to go to shops immediately for breakfast. ESM
At one time you got a free welcome pack, consisting of
milk,bread,butter ( margie type ) cereals,eggs,cheap coffee,sugar.
Then after they stopped the freebie,you could order a welcome pack
& pay for it.
Brings back memories when I had a caravan at Skegness, always laid on
a free welcome pack, with proper nescafe coffee. :rofl
i have also just returned from ovaick,i tale anything and everything that will fit i my case.this time i took 24 fozen sausages 3 packs of bacon 2 tubs of pate 1 box of wine 6 pkts noodles pasa sauce mixes savoury rice cup a soups peanuts cheese and lots of savoury snacks also washing up liquid cooking oil and soap powder.
nuttynet wrote:
i have also just returned from ovaick,i tale anything and everything that will fit i my case.this time i took 24 fozen sausages 3 packs of bacon 2 tubs of pate 1 box of wine 6 pkts noodles pasa sauce mixes savoury rice cup a soups peanuts cheese and lots of savoury snacks also washing up liquid cooking oil and soap powder.

Goodness! Did you have any room for clothes after that lot? They do have shops in Turkey you know :rofl
yes i know but my pet hte is shopping and what i saved from shopping i spent in the local restaurants in the evenings.each to there own i say. and yes i did have enogh room for clothes this was spread over 2 cases and hand luggage.
We take a few boxes of cereals, a few packets of buscuits & jam & peanut butter for toast. Just things for breakfast TBH & buscuits for the occassional cup of tea.

We eat out every night & buy fresh bread & fruit over there, for a light lunch in the apartment.
yorkieborn i used to give a welcome pack but the costs have spirialed and i have found people want the best deal the can get, in truth it don't matter what time your flight lands there is always mini markets open to sell water coffee and tea etc.
so dont be affraid to ask your transfer drive to stop to get some bits ( if its a private transfer )
i have managed to hold my prices for the last 4 years giving free aircon and transfers but there is a limit to how far you can go and all the locals have now got on the tourist wagon and all prices have risen
:sun2
Thanks for the input Maverick 57 u/k
I understand your point,being that you offer free aircon & transfers.
Which I would say getting free transfers is a bonus.
Like you said, prices have gone up,but I looking at if anyone could order
groceries in advance, then tourists arriving in the middle of the night would
have something to eat & drink.
But again it comes down to time, & money.Is it viable to offer this service.
for me i would say not, and in a country like turkey many mini markets on your journey from airport to resort there are many mini markets where you can stop off 24/7 to buy these sorts of provions, most cleaning companies do a very small welcome pack and they start at a tenner just for 4 sachets of coffee 4 tea bags bottle of water and some sugar sachets and milk an extra cost guests dont seam to want anymore, maybe things will change in the future. :sun2
Thanks Maverick 57 u/k
Its good to have some feed back from a owner.
I hope everything is fine & business is good for you in the present climate.
Which resort are you located in.
......................... Thanks again ..........................
..........................Best Regards, Yorkie ! :glynis
im in hisaronu, olu deniz
I :sun2 ts been a good year except the problems with h4u and cancellation as airlines pushed up there prices instead of helping those that had lost flights so other than an empty september not bad
only thing i tend to take is decaff teabags cos cant get them there but generally i buy everything there, if you buy turkish makes then it doesnt cost much to here depending what you buy of course!i find body lotion, creams etc dear over ther tho but wen we go, we stay for a wee while at a time to see hubbys family so i dnt mind paying a wee bit more and it just means insted of havin 3 shower gels as i do here lol, i have 1 ther! toiletries weigh so much as well and when travelling with a baby you need all the kgs you can get lol! quite often i look n see what offers there are on and stock up that way!x
We are off to Turkey in 12 days time and for the 1st time in an apartment.
The only things I am taking is Nescafe latte sachets and decaffeinated tea bags.
Just the other day my husband asked me where we would get stuff for breakfast as we dont arrive until about 2am.
He has 2 choices,go to Supermarket across the road or buy a cooked breakfast at the apartments! :rofl :rofl
We usually take Nescafe or kenco in the refill packs (sell them cheap in Home Bargains) Decaff coffee,bran flakes(unheard of mainly,in Turkey) savoury crackers - most local ones taste quite sweetish - and sometimes a lump of cheddar. Everything else we buy fresh.
We also take a bar of Vanish, string and some pegs -essential items.
I will be taking a floor cloth,a scourer sponge and some Zoflora next time as the cleaner didnt do a very good job. :rofl :rofl
There is still some accommodation around where you do get a free welcome pack. We offer some basics if people want them, but many of our guests who are regulars and know how easy it is to get supplies of food aren't too bothered. I still think it's an important service to offer particularly for guests arriving during the night or early morning or if they haven't been to Turkey before. When you've been travelling overnight its nice to not have the hassle of stopping somewhere, but being able to at least have a cup or tea and bite to eat when you arrive.
We also supply washing up liquid, cleaning materials, powder for washing machine etc.
After years of going self-catering ourselves before we had our own apartment, I know the sort of things I would have really appreciated being provided. As Nuttynet says you're on holiday who wants the boring chore of shopping for boring household items!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.