General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Malta for me, when I thought I was on the inside of a rounderbout there was always someboby on my inside trying to sqeeze through!!
patient2nurse wrote:

Best style of driving is more difficult. To what do we compare this?

Just try to remember all the places where you went. Probably you have had a great driving experience somewhere else

However, I'm not trying to make ludicrous competition between countries.

I am just a travel enthusiast, also I love to drive very much, and finally I am here trying to improve my English language skills. ;)
Drove to Italy a few years back. Driving south on the autopista I was catching up on the guy in the fast lane but he had no intention of moving over. So for safety I dropped back a bit. Another italian then undertook me and got between us. The guy at the front was not going to let the other guy past either. The guy tried to go inside and the front guy swerved in front of him, then he tried the outside and the front guy again swerved in front! By this time we had dropped back even further expecting an accident at any time. Finally the guy trying to overtake put two wheels on the central reservation, inches from the armco and went round the idiot in front! Funny thing was the guy in front was driving a Rover 200!

Italians are the worst in my experience
I saw a car from Switzerland on the road this morning.
I like his safe driving behaviour, he switched on his turn lights, he kept a safe following distance all the time while he was driving up beside me.
I also don't drive, but from observation and experience as a passenger, this is my list:

Paris - On my first visit there I saw 3 traffic accidents within the first half hour of setting foot outside the Gare du Nord.

Jamaica - Maniacs! Ovetaking 3 at a time, regardless of bends and inclines in the road that mean you can't see what's coming the other way. On one of our first journeys in a shared taxi my friend, who's not a particularly nervous passenger usually, spent most of it with her hands over her eyes! On the approach into Montego Bay there was a big traffic sign (not sure if it's still there) with the road accident numbers for the past 3 years and a question mark under the current year.

Tunisia - Usually I don't find Tunisia too bad, but August in Hammamet is hell. Lots of Libyans and Algerians go there on holiday, along with many Tunisians now living abroad and they all bring their cars. The main road through Hammamet turns into little more than a car park and the driving gets quite inventive! Frequently an impromptu third lane is formed where the direction of travel changes at random. You need to keep your wits about you!

Senegal - Dakar roads also frequently resemble a car park. Dakar's on a peninsula, so there's only one road to drive in and out of the city. On one occasion, after being stuck for ages in a jam, our driver just drove up onto the wide pavement and drove along it to push into the queue further along. Fortunately there was no-one walking on it at the time!
Fiona, your list on driving in India made me laugh, we have just returned from a Golden Triangle trip with a car and driver and your list is exactly right! We saw some hawkers selling a sounds of India cd and thought it would probably be car horns!
For me nothing comes close to driving (in the passenger seat) around Bangkok, pure terror!
but have you been in a tuktuk in Bangkok? :D We did do that once- and once is enough!
Welcome to HT by the way :)
First time driving in malta I was a bit confused by which side i was supposed to be on.
the answer......whichever side has the most shade!
Oh my gosh Turkey last summer scared the life out of me. Whole families on a tiny scooter on the wrong side of a pretty main rd literally with a baby balanced on the front
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.