Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
The trip to Marmaris is expensive. Boat fare is about 35 € plus port taxes of 15 € All per person.
** edit to remove comments-wizard*****
There is a free bus to Water Park in Faliraki
I have sent you a PM with a link to a web site with things to do etc in Pefkos
The water park was great fun but without a doubt my favourite trip was to the beautiful island of Symi. You don't get anywhere nearly long enough on the island but once seen never forgotten. You can do organised trips from lindos (and I am assuming Pefkos) and although its a long day it was well worth it.
thats great info thanks folks much appreciated :cheers
I agree. "Symi: once seen, never forgotten". We've just returned from our 14th visit ( a month this time). Wherever we go in Greece, we always return to Symi. The first sight of Yialos Harbour as the ferry rounds that final headland never fails.

A few photos from this year's visit HERE
An easy daytrip is to Lindos. You are so close anyone and it is beautiful.Sugar cube houses on a hillside. No cars in the main area. Would love to go back sometime :)
** edit to remove comments-wizard***

Marmaris is a great place and the people are fantastic,friendly and warm,to suggest you'd be spat at and sworn at for not going in their shops is not something i'd take any notice of AT ALL and i'd love to know where this is meant to happen,following a trip every 6-8 weeks for the last 8 summers we've made many friends over there('we' includes greeks,who the turks are said to hate,no evidence of that in marmaris at all) and reading this would hurt them.
the trips are 50 euros and that almost always includes collection from your resort and return transport to the port in rhodes,you'll need to surrender your passports the night before you go for the immigration people but it's a simple process,the boat across passes through some amazing scenery on it's way into marmaris bay,through narrow inlets and past remote villas on clifftops,if you do go then the best way into the city is in one of the yellow taxis that park up at the ferry terminal entrance,much quicker than the bus that comes with the ferry ticket as this takes you on a 'tour' that's really just a long winded drive,the taxis take 5 minutes and cost around 7 euros,just get in and ask for the bazaar area,if something more authentic is your thing then ask how much it is to go to datca,a smaller town on the same peninsula.

Back on topic,the best way to the waterpark from pefkos would be to get the rhodes town bus and get off in faliraki(aim for the stop just after the top of bar street opposite bubbles pool bar/isis travel)walk 400m down bar street to the square by mcdonalds and get the trainaki(tourist train) or look for the blue liveried bus that takes the coast road to rhodes via kalithea starting on faliraki club street,sounds complicated but you'll see how simple it is once you get off the first bus. the waterpark is opposite the esperides beach hotel and is MORE than worth the trip,they claim it's the biggest in europe and i would probably concur,it's an excellent day out.
Other than that i'd recommend ANY trip that takes in the embona/siana area of the mountains,or if you want to hire a car then do the usuals of seven springs,embona,the mountain passes,prasonissi beach etc etc etc,doable in one or two days.or simply get up to rhodes town and see the old town,or if in a car go up monte smith to the acropolis/old stadium and ampitheatre site,and have lunch in one of the small pavements cafes along mandraki harbour where all the day trip boats moor.

If you're feeling brave go to the taverna at the southern end of pefkos beach and do the mental trip out on their aeroplane,they take you out over pefkos,out to sea,up over lindos and take in all the sights there like the lion's head,the acropolis,the 'beast' diving cliffs etc and then fly you back at low level over pefkos,it's pretty exciting stuff as long as you havent just eaten a big meal!
thanks for all that great info sambacasual i agree the turkish people are nothing like that they are very nice people who love to have a banter with you i really wanted to return there this year but we wanted to try greece :sun2
I have just spent 2 weeks in Rhodes and was tempted many many times to get the ferry to Marmaris and spend a few nights in Icmeler.
My husband was worried I wouldnt come back so I will just have to wait until October. :que
I agree about the disgusting comments made by tpebops.
Give me Turkey any time over anywhere else :tup
Have to agree about Symi too. The nicest view, imo, is the one actually leaving the harbour from the stern of your boat. We have just had our third visit to the lovely Island (via Fast-Cat this time so nearly 4 hours stay) from the main harbour in Rhodes Town. At a cost of 40 euro each inc coach transfers from Faliraki it was well worth it via our TC rep. Cheaper ways of doing it are available too depending on where your Hotel is.

Highly recommended too is a visit to Lindos via boat from Rhodes Town harbour (35 euro) and another great day out. But Pefkos is so close a taxi ride or car hire if you use one. Yet again depends where your base is.

regards Jim.
*** edit to remove comments - wizard***

I've done the one day excursion from Rhodes to Marmaris and it's a great day out and the Turkish people very friendly.
Yes, they try very hard to sell, if they don't sell they don't eat!
But in my experience it's all good natured banter, and actually, it's fun.

And for the OP, if in Rhodes - do not miss a trip to Lindos - it's easy to drive to and the roads aren't bad. A great place to spend an afternoon wandering the streets (which all seem to be UP somehow!), looking at the artists work and occasionally stopping for a glass of excellent greek wine.
Beware - it seems to me to be hotter in that town than elsewhere on the island.
Raych
I second a short bus ride to Lindos, it's very picturesque with its many narrow alleyways and a walk up to the Acropolis is good.

It can get very busy some days with coaches from the cruise ships from Rhodes port.

Rhodes town itself is lovely too, well worth (imho) a bus ride.
as monaco said , rather than book Symi thro a tour rep go to an agency in Faliraki.Cost is 23 € including coach transfer to / from Mandraki
I think its a bit far to book a trip in Falaraki if you are staying in Pefkos?
There will most likely be local tour companies in Pefkos.
there's plenty of travel shops in every resort,also you can phone the travel agents on mandraki harbour front in Rhodes and reserve tickets on all the boats but this would mean making your own way to town early in the morning. there is another option if you want to really go native so to speak and that is to get the boat across to Halki,it goes from Kamiros skala at around 9am and takes about an hour,or you can also go from rhodes town but i think you need to stay overnight if you go that way,do a google search for the island,it's absolutely stunning and quite an experience as there's barely any cars and only one road,only one proper village and it's even more unspoilt than symi.
Guys and Gals...

I've been hearing some bad words about this thread. The perpetrators know who they are and if I hear anymore concerns about particular members I'll have no choice but to start implementing bans on some accounts.

The forums are a place for pleasant discussions not somewhere to give digs to each other.

Keep it friendly please.

Regards

Van
i dont see why you're posting this now,the poster made some very unpleasant and borderline racist comments which were complained about and removed already. the poster concerned has angered many people on here and other forums(i had to ban him myself from a rhodes forum after complaints by several members)yet anytime anyone dares reply to him telling him what they think the mods/admin jump in a week later and have a go at the wrong people.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.