Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Slow reply I know but: yes the beach was badly affected by storms last winter. When did you go? I went in June and the beach was still in a bad way. There was talk of topping up the beach with imported sand, but it looks like it never happened.
I went in July time of this year. I understand that similar has happened previously and the sand had to be replaced. Have to wait and see if it happens again!
Was there end of July/beginning of August.

Told by regular visitor that, because the Island is now a "biosphere" (think that's the right term) it is unlikely the sand will be replaced this time ("Let Nature take control").

Jeff
ditto last comment.

Just to add that beach and Santo Tomas was always been very narrow, sand there was artifically brought in and winter waters have taken it back to its originl state. The COSTAs (body resposnible for spanish coastlines) are always in 'fights' with tourist resorts. Same is true at Son Xoriguer ( next to Cala en Bosch )

BTW Binigaus is much further to west of Sant Tomas and is very deep beach with lots and lots of sand , but some folks are 'offended' by the nudists so never get that far.
Went to Binigaus and Santo Tomas in middle of April and very pleased to see the beaches in much better condition than last year or even this February. The eastern end of ST beach looked almost back to normal and there was a lot more sand on the stretch up to Es Bruc beach bar. The greatest improvement was between the island and main Binigaus beach. Last year there was NO sand here, but it has recovered quite well and there is a strip of sand a few metres wide all the way along. Let's hope there are no storms to wash it all away again

Bill
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.