Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I would give Ros Fernihough, travel law solicitor a ring. She gives free advice and has helped many on this site.

Tel :- 01922 621114

Good luck!
Thanks - have taken her number and will ring tomorrow.

My advice to anybody thinking of booking with Haven is don't. Whatever they offer you for booking early for next year you will still get a better price last minute. Ours, despite booking and paying in full in January including all the discounts, was £200 cheaper two weeks before we went away, and this was the top of the peak season. They had so many holidays left that the prices drop. The people who book last minute always get the better quality caravans than the people who book early.

To me if a company is providing a good, high quality, reasonably priced service, that is exactly what the public want, then they would not need to be offering holidays for £9.50, they would be completely full.
We could never go on these £9.50 holidays when the child was younger as he had so many illnesses, allergies and immunity problems. By the time we had paid to upgrade it was cheaper to book direct.

We booked a Character caravan, one year, as dogs were not allowed and it said they were all sited together. We thought great, all the children will be in a safe enclosed area, with no barking dogs, as both the little one and my 23 year old daughter are scared of dogs. We arrive and find it is a new character caravan they have just stuck between all the other ordinary ones. It had obviously had a dog in as the seats and carpet were full of dog hair and this is when we were told that Haven do not check, they expect people to be honest. (Would you be honest when they charge £40.00 per week for you to take your dog with you?) In the caravan next door the residents, on a £9.50 break, had a pit bull and a jack russell. They would not move us as they had nothing free.
Used to have about five Haven breaks per year, between a week and a fortnight every school holiday. Even looked at buying our own this year and just had to choose the site. From now on Haven can forget it. We are going abroad next year, its cheaper, better and the sun is guaranteed.
Wow, that's shocking.

Never pay anything extra (like they wanted to move you to another location). It's their responsibility to provide you with accomodation that is consistent with what you paid for and what they advertised. Absolutely take them to court but you might not need to. You could write and give them the usual 28 days to give you a full refund or you will be taking legal action and will be claiming compensation on top of the full refund for the holiday (I'm sure you could claim emotional distress, inconvenience, etc., particularly as they were made fully aware that your son required hygenic facilities). Also, I can't believe that Haven could legally "re-let" your tent when you had already paid for it and they wouldn't give you a refund. That sounds highly questionnable and I suspect they broke the law somewhere there. What's the difference between that and you paying for a hotel room for a week and, after 1 day, the hotel telling you they are giving your room to somebody else, won't be giving your a refund and you'll be left to your own devices after that? You paid for the service, they didn't honor it, so I'm sure it would be a no brainer for a small claims court to award you compensation.

But yeah, contact Ros first and see what she says. The level of customer service Haven showed you is appalling.
We had a bad experience with Haven on a short break in October last year but they did move us to another caravan which was excellent compared to the one they had put us in. I think if anyone is considering booking a holiday on a Haven site, it would pay to book privately owned caravans, you get to use all the facilities and accommodation is far better and cheaper.

I hope you get a good result from this sick note, keep us updated.
Gave have the 28 days and they replied with;

I was very sorry to hear that you had reason to complain about your accommodation, as advised in your recent correspondence, during your holiday at Perran Sands.
1. They had an immediate complaint to the touring reception, where I was told, because I had telephone to check the accommodation prior to arrival, that I had complained before I arrived!
2. They had another immediate complaint to Reception.
3. They had a third complaint to the customer care manager on the Sunday.
4. They had a complaint to head office on the Monday, as they are shut at weekend.
5. Head office rang us, whilst we were eating in a restaurant, on the Monday to confirm the comlaint.
6. We did not have a holiday at Perran Sands - we did not stay!

Cleanliness and Hygiene issues are of paramount importance in all Haven Parks, as this reflects the impression of the Park and its reputation and I would like you to accept my sincere apologies, as we have not met with your expectations on this occasion. The comments you raised have been passed on to our accommodation manager, to address this matter with his team and reiterate to all members the importance of ensuring our standards are maintained. He also wishes to express his sincere apologies to you for the inconvenience you have been caused. I have noted you complaints and would like to offer my apoligies. I have raised the matter of cleanliness with the Acommodation Manager and the touring manager.

Our location , positioned on the cliff tops and close to the seaside, boasting such wonderful views of the coas and surrounding areas means that sometimes we unfortunately have a problem with ants. They do unfortunately make their way into units of accommodation. This is even more so when you are staying in a tent in the Sand Dunes. (Had they told us this before, and the fact that although they are fully aware and acknowledge the problem, they are going to do nothing about it. We could at least have come prepared with ant spray/powder if they had told us in the first place instead of being inaccurate.)

If each one of our piches has an occupancy of four guests, (this is even though their own tents hold 6) we have close to 1,500 people using the touring pitch at any one time. With such a large nimber of guests using the site, the cleanliness will deteriorate quicker than say that of a normal public toilet. (Now wait for the next bit) Each toilet and shower block is closed for an hour each day where a through clean is ensured. (So although they admit that their toilets get more dirty than a nornal public toilet, they only clean them once a day. This is with up to 344 numbered pitches (not counting any that are placed on un-numbered pitches) at 4 per pitch = 1376 guests, and if each should contain 6 per pitch, or more, then 2064+ guests using toilets that, although they get much more dirty than a normal toilet, they only clean once a day. Be warned you also shower in these toilet blocks - a lovely place to take your baby or child.)

Although the chalet you were originally offered was being used by the evening cabaret team, who also need to have accommodation in order to provide the entertainment, you were offered another chalet and a week at Riviere Sands.(not as well as) I am sorry that none of these options were viable for you, but it does seem that the Reception Team made every effort to accommodate your needs. (no mention of the chalet being 4 bed - no mention of the loss of 1 weeks holiday - no mention of the demand for extra money i.e £310 for the 4 bed chalet or £690 for 1 week at the other camp - no mention of any refund for the loss of one week of our holiday)

I am completly of the understanding that we had provided you with what was booked. The concerns you have raised seem to be ones that could have been rectified if you had given us the opportunity. (obviously two days was not sufficient time and I should have given them the fortnight) We also offered you alternative accommodation, which you declined.

I have noted your request for compensation and will not be adhering to your said request.

After this we sent the - I am therefore writing to inform you that unless I receive satisfactory proposals for settlement of my outstanding claim within 14 days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue a summons against you in the county court.

This was sent on the 24/8/2006.

Haven, or Bourne Leisure, have not replied to this. On checking delivery, even though I sent it recorded, I was told to send the summons to Howard Rawlings - guest relations department.

Haven have no intention of offering anything.

P.S. If you have the Haven brochure - first edition, look at page 180-181
Haven state that "Our brochure has pictures of the area around our park and shows a family climbing up a sand dune to the park.

This picture is not listed as part of the park. There is no big sign saying "This way to the park" and the picture shows the family leaving a beach, although the beach is not named. We are meant to gather the information that we will be dumped, with a knackered tent, in a sand dune from this picture?

P.P.S. We got the "Thank you for choosing to stay with us, it has been a pleasure to have your company." "Nothing motivates our team more than a 'pat on the back' for a job well done." - no wonder the 'Team' had so little motivation then!
Sorry. First line should read - Gave Haven not Have
The advice given by Shell is the sensible way to go on this. Contact Ros ASAP

fwh
I second the advice to contact Ros - immed.

Don't try to take this case through the County Court yourself - get professional advice beforehand.

You might well have a case against your credit card company. Contact them again and firmly, but politely remind them of their obligations and responsibilities to YOU. These can be summed-up as:

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 states that the lender of money for a purchase is jointly responsible with the seller for the purchaser getting the goods or service purchased, or receiving a full refund if they do not receive the goods or service.

Request a refund of the entire holiday cost from the credit card company (presuming you paid them more than £100) pending their discussions with Haven. Recovering your additional costs must be from Haven and not your CC company and would likely require a court case - perhaps not worth the hassle for that element.

The above is only my suggestion and should not replace the need for you to contact Ros on 01922 621114.

Please keep us informed as to the outcome.

Mike
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.