Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Thomsons, Thomas Cook, First Choice etc. all have bad reviews if you look.

And OTB, Travel Republic, Expedia etc. have loyal supporters as well.

But do you understand the difference in what they sell? Some prices are cheap because they aren't legally protected packages, and some also use low cost airlines and don't quote for all the extras like luggage. Some bad reviews are due to people not understanding what they were buying and then finding out that their cheap holiday didn't have everything the full priced one had.

try looking for proper packages (ie showing a known tour operator name) being sold off at http://www.lastminute.com , even if you don't fancy what they have it will give a guide as to what's the best price you might expect for a proper package around your dates - which are school holiday so never the cheapest.
If I'm booking a package I usually go with thomas cook as I find them as good as any and at a fraction of the price. If I'm going diy, I usually book my accomodation through TR if I can get it. Just my preferences of course, others will have their own :)
Hi

I have used travel republic for the last few years and find if its for 1 wk then it is usually cheaper to book separate flights and acc which i usually do through travel republic..i have also booked a package through thomas cook for 2wks in majorca as it worked out cheaper. I think alot depends on when you book and also the price of flights at the time..I have never had any trouble with travel republic and would book everytime if cheaper even after adding transfers and luggage..think this would only nake a major difference if booking long haul..you could try egypt in october its supposed to be one of the best times to go although i've not been myself..
so travel rep are decent?

also is it worth giving it a shot with sunmasters and onthe beach? there was a option on the quotes to add luggage and transfers, so should they be ok to use knowing i was able to add those bits into my quote?
Hopefully, you'll get some input from Sunmasters or otb customers but personally though I've been tempted by their prices, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I've read too many horror stories especially with sunmasters.

Don't know if you've read these sunmasters reviews http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews117158.html
Hi Dawn ... if you try our Search facility using company names as keywords, you will find various topics in this forum and in Holiday Complaints which may help you make your mind up.

David :wave
never used sunmaster or on the beach although i do know people that have used on the beach and had no problems..depends where your going really we usually just jump in a taxi when we get off the plane..ive only booked on package in the last 6 years and all the others have been through travel republic..my son has also used them several times and had no trouble even when he had to ring to re-arrange for another person joining them..
been searching days and days for a holiday now, its annoying me lol

the best prices i can get is from travel republic, sunmasters, on the beach or a DIY holiday that i put together myself :)
Only a personal opinion, but I wouldn't touch OTB or Sunmasters - heard far too many nightmare stories. I have used- & am still using Travel Republic, as, so far I haven't had any problems. I would always secure a flight first ,before booking any accommodation though. I prefer to use regional airports, so would rather have the flight I want, even if I have to choose between a few accommodations :tup I have booked both my Easter & summer holiday DIY, as they were way cheaper than booking a package :D
As David has said, use the Search facility for the companies you are considering, particularly OTB or OnTheBeach, to read previous topics about them. Our Complaints forum would be a good place to start. ;)

luci :wave
Dawn,

I know you've had lots of queries and lots of advice from us and you still seem to be in a quandry. I don't blame you because it's a big step if you've never done it before. One last post from me. I know we're all different but if I was you, I'd price it all up as a package with one of the big tour operators on line e.g. Thomas Cook (whom I find cheaper and just as good as Thomson). Then I'd separately price up flights (try easy jet, bmi baby etc but don't forget to add baggage) and accomodation (direct with hotel and also with travel Republic, see which works out cheaper) add on the cost of a transfer/taxi and see what that total would be. You'll then know which option is better. If I could save at least £200 per couple by going diy, it would be a no brainer for me.

Let us know what you decide.
Like above, we also have a cut off point for going DIY. This year we booked a holiday for 4 with James Villas, we also priced the same easyjet flights, apartment direct with the complex & a hire car.

It was more expensive by about 45 GBP each with James V but we decided to go with them for peace of mind. When we arrived we also found a food welcome pack that we didn't know about & was probably worth 25 Euros.

It's a very personal decison & depends on how tight your budget is, how risk adverse you are etc. Think through what would you do if it went wrong.

One year we DIYed to the Algarve, flight with Easyjet, car hire direct & the accommodation with a bedbooker and it was great and we saved a fair bit.

The following year the company which had an excellent record & reputation and we had booked the accommodation through (wintersunshineholidays) went into liquidation & we would have had problems. We would have needed to book new accommodation at our own expense or lose the flights & the car hire whilst trying to get a refund. Not everybody is in the financial postion to book a 2nd lot of accomm at short notice.

Anything other than a package holiday is a bit of a gamble, it's just that you have to weigh up if you are saving enough to make that gamble worthwhile.

Doe :sun2
I can personally recommend travel republic for this sort of thing - although it's not perfect - but what is!
TRAVEL REPUBLIC every time! I have used them for years and never had a problem of any sort. I was in Tunisia during the revolution and had paid for friends to join us in the February. This was not possible as all inbound flights were cancelled. One phone call and the money was back in my bank. Enough said I think! All best xx
I too have only had good experiences with Travel Republic and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

SM
We've booked we Travel Republic a few times and never had any problems. Also Flightline are good - we've just had to change dates for Oct half term (week later this year so watch those dates) and the staff were great and helped us sort it out.

We have 4 children so when take them we tend to book with Thomsons because if something happened (e.g ash cloud situation) we know we would be covered whereas if it's just the 2 of us we would muddle through.

I must admit though I've sometimes costed holidays out doing DIY for the 6 of us and once you've added baggage and transfers its often better to go with Thomsons/Thomas Cook.

Would love to know where you ended up

Lou
Never used TR but many members have, i do use A1 travel and more often Fleet-way travel again never had a serious problem with either

wiz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.