Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi oneilly

It may be a good idea to look through past posts to see what people have recommended when the question has been asked before. Only you know what your group really like.

Once you have done that you will probably have narrowed it down to a couple of islands. Then make another post asking about those islands to find the best resort.

Ardwyn
I think the previouse post is right it's something you all have to decide on and what you mean by a bit of fun, is that nightclubs bars and tavernas with you all be staying together as a group each night what's you taste in food, if you like Mcdonalds , Chinese, Italian, or whatever think Corfu maybe the place for you especially Sidari, not my choice but I'm a lot older than your group, My favourite Island is Kefalonia but not sure it's the right place for teenagers,
pojo
thanks for the advice i will start reading right away i'am new to greece normally go to turkey how would you compare greece to turkey? cheers
Hee. Hee. I'm the other way round and normally go to Greece but am going to Turkey for the first time this year!

I was going to suggest Crete for a first timer, because its such a large Island, it has all different kinds of resorts, from quiet to very lively so you should be able find something to suit. Crete has its own forum on here, and it might be worth you giving it a look.
Personally I would say that Greece is more relaxed. The locals in both countries are very friendly but the Turkish resorts seem to have shot up so quickly and are purpose built and there is more of a profit feeling there, but most of the Greek resorts have retained their character.

The one thing that is totally different in Greece is that you don't get hassled like you do in Turkey. In my experience taking a 5 minute stroll walking past shops in Turkey will take you an hour by the time every shop keeper has hasselled you to buy their carpet, jewellery, Tshirts, trinkets or whatever at "Asda Price"! Also there are no prices displayed and you have to barter with them. Although this can be fun at times it becomes a bit of a bind when you only want to walk into a shop buy something and straight out again. All the time you feel you are being pressured and they don't like taking no for an answer.

In Greece, it is cheaper in the resorts compared to inland, which is true of anywhere in the world, but in Turkey there is such an amazing difference, sometimes as much as 500%.

One other major difference is driving. You see in a lot of posts people saying about the Greeks driving like Madmen. We always hire a car in Greece and have never had any problems at all. However it is a different ball game in Turkey. The amount of deaths and injuries is horrendous. I don't know the actual figures but I know it is way above anything that would be accepted in Europe. On our last visit to Turkey we saw a car rear end another car and the occupants of the first car get out, drag the occupants of the second car out and beat the hell out of them.

All that said, we have visited Turkey 4 times and have had beautiful holidays there, but still prefer Greece.

p.s forgot to mention, you have to pay £10 per person to get into Turkey for the visa unless it's gone up. Duty Free is still available but you can only bring back a fraction of what you can bring back from Greece.
You could look at Protaras, Ayia Napa, Paphos or Limassol in Cyprus, then there is Faliraki on Rhodes(you can pop across to Turkey for the day from here), Laganas on Zante. There are some lively/fun resorts on Crete.
thanks for all the comments i will be going to greece and will be having a good old brouse on this site will miss turkey but time for change and will be relying on you guys to keep me towards greece cheers all what would we do without holiday truth forum... :D :sun
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.