General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Well our last trip abroad (June 2006) to Zante couldn't have gone any worse, the day that we were due to fly a TNT plane crashed on the runway at Birmingham airport but luckily no-one was injured, Our flight wasn't due to take off until later on in the evening so we were lucky in that everything was back to normal by the time we were due.

Just about to get on the plane i picked up our son (22 months old at the time) who promptly decided to vomit all over me which then meant that i had to sit on the plane for near enough 4 hours & all through Zante airport & the transfer to our hotel smelling of pavement pizza!

You'd think it couldn't have got any worse but 2 days into the holiday our son then came down with some sort of viral infection & was really poorly, as a result we decided that enough was enough & flew home after 4 days out of the 14 we should have had!

All this added to the mouldy hotel room, collapsing beds & a bout of "delhi belly" makes me really look forward to our holiday next year to Kos! :rofl
When in Cyprus about 10 years ago I was sharing a room with my friend. It was broken into twice and a few things stolen, the local police couldn't give 2 hoots.

A year later we went to Spain (Coach holiday) and 2 days before we were due to come home we got a call to say my 5 week old cousin had died. There was no way of getting home earlier.

On a lighter note when we went to Vegas for our wedding/honeymoon we came home and hubbys family had done our bathroom up and it was gorgeous.

Helen
First time we left youngest home alone he'd scorched the new carpet by leaving the iron fall on it. After another 2 holidays, on texting home after landing back at our local airport our eldest informed us that his car had been broken into. For a few holidays after that we were almost dreading arriving home in case of what might have happened.
Hi,

We go away usually 3 times a year & every time something has been broken, lost or just plain disappeared!! Our son will quite often have some friends round for a bbq or the like - as kids do!

Our worst time was last june, my Mum was in hospital with chest infection when we left but it wasn't serious & our son was still here (daughter & grandchildren were with us) also my Dad was here too. I started getting calls from my son saying that she wasn't getting any better, then on the friday morning as we were coming home that evening they were called into the holspital to be told Mum had pancreatic cancer. We tried to get an earlier flight but there were not enough seats left so we had to hang aroung the airport for 5 hours waiting for our normal flight, we got home early hours of sat morning. Sadly Mum died at 2.30am monday morning, I was with her when she went, so I am sure she waited for us all to get back. Now, anything getting broken or lost while we are away doesn't bother me.

We arrived home last saturday from Majorca & there was nothing broken ;) Although we go again in 3 weeks time so will keep fingers crossed.

Deb.
Helen T wrote:
A year later he crashed his car into a hedge & had to borrow a tractor from the farm where he was working at the time to get it out!! Is it any wonder I have bad nerves a
It was actually MY car he wrecked but promised by the time I would get home he would have fixed it. When we got home he hadn't touched it and it was still a wreck!!
we went on holiday, and my mum and dad moved in too look after 16yr old as he didnt want to come with us.....

arrived in turkey, text home to say we had got there, to be told by son my mother was in hospital......she had fallen down the stairs before coming to our house

maybe had a stroke too......

she turned out fine, and it was down too her water tablets....

but son and grandad had 2 weeks of fending for themselves............
lots of little things happened to us, one bein that hubby always seemed to be on the same holiday as me!! ;)
but few years ago my parents went to australia over Christmas to see relatives,,,, while they were there, their next door neighbour dies, my fathers brother died and my son aged 4 spent 2 weeks in hospital with pneumonia!
their water tank split and dripped during the night into the kitchen and larder even tho i went round every couple of days, so on thier return they had no water no heating a grandson in hospital and 2 funerals to go to!
when Gav was 15 and Deanne 18, me and Rob went to the Farnes for the weekend diving with the seals. No problems or so we thought until upon my return I noticed one or 2 things were "out of place" in the kitchen...I made nothing of it other than voiced rather loudly that I had noticed...son later confessed..before he knew I was going to find out from the neighbours...that he had had a small gathering which had resulted in the neighbours calling the police because they thought we were being burgled...several police cars turned up in force and promptly raided the house across the road at 3.30am where 2 elderly people lived..terrifying the life out of them.

Our house had been trashed..kids puking in the bath etc..but Gav had managed to clean up quite well except for a couple of things out of place that gave it away. Deanne was meant to have been the sensible one, but she was drunker than he was!
We were not so annoyed about the party as all kids do it ( I certainly did..) we were livid at the fact he had upset the neighbours. Rob grounded Gav until he was 35..we rounded up all the kids involved and frogmarched them up the street to apologise to every single neighbour that had been disturbed as a result of thier drunken revelry!
In Crete a few years ago we went out on a traditional night, and three out of four of us ate a 'meat' stew...next morning the same 3 decided they rather desperately needed the toilet at the same time. Slight problem in that there was only one in the room. I managed to get there first, my husband dashed to the mens toilets which were quite close, and my teenage daughter had to dash down 5 floors past reception to the nearest ladies....hurridly dressing herself as she went. It was only when she came back up that she realised she had everything on inside out and back to front. We can laugh about it now...but couldn't then without resulting in another toilet dash.

Last october the same teenage daughter got very slightly tipsy one night, and started singing and dancing...something she doesn't normally do. She can't remember doing it, and luckily she hasn't found the video of it yet ;) What was even funnier was at 8am the next morning we were told the hotel was closing and we had to be out in 30mins, so she had to attempt to pack everything with a hangover, and without a nice recovery cup of tea. Funnily enough she actually hasn't drank since :rofl
My sis rang me the night before Mum & Dad were due to return from holiday in Portugal. She asked where Mum kept the house insurance docs and when I asked why she said "The dining room ceiling is on the dining table!"

Transpired the toilet cistern had been leaking and had flooded bringing down the ceiling :yikes And she was right....the celing was on the table. I've NEVER seen such a mess! We spent the whole of the next day in clear-up mode. After sucking up 8 buckets worth of water with our Vax, we cleared the dining room and carried the carpet out after first checking with the insurers we were okay to do so.

Poor Mum was in tears when she saw it all but she'd have been a darned sight worse if she'd returned to it in it's current state! Took months for it all to be sorted.
When we were in Bangkok several years ago we phoned home and there had been a leak in the bathroom which had resulted in the whole hall ceiling coming down :really my 2 teenagers were still at home too and had to tidy the debris away - luckily my husband is a plumber and talked my son through what to do to stop the leak until we got home.

One year we came home from Cyprus to find both the kids mountain bikes had been stolen from the shed.

This year in Goa we had a 36 hour delay which resulted in us being put up in a 4 star hotel for the night and an extra day by the pool ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.