Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
well that's just great for people to read when they've spent all their hard earned cash on booking to go there in a few weeks time.

cheers for the optimism,really looking forward to going now,especially as i've assured my GF she'll like the place :tup
Well I have been going for the past 9 years and i am going back next week. I still love the place agree its not as busy but would you want to be touching shoulders with everybody in every bar ??? I think not. Samba Casual - I am sure you will have a great time, I know i will. A holiday is what you make it. Benidorm Here we come lol. :D
Absolutely spot-on laura,and being slightly down on numbers just means better choice of sunbeds and restaurant tables!

To be fair out of the times i've been to beni(last time was admittedly in 2005)it's been both rammed and quiet depending when i've been,yet when it was quiet in october and half the clubs etc were setting out tables for the oldies to do ballroom dancing we still had a great time,and somewhere being a bit scruffy doesnt matter to someone that's lived in greece for the last 10 years :D
Went in May last year and can honestly say we did not find it at all scruffy. We have been going since 2001, and yes we have seen visiting numbers go down, but last May it was really busy and I mean busy. The apartments we stayed in last year had no room at all and trying to get around the pool was a nightmare! :(

Stories like these shall not stop me going from somewhere I love ;)
We too, are returning to Benidorm in two weeks time and have spent the last five years holidaying there.

We love it, don't find it scruffy one bit..........lovely atmosphere, something for everyone, great shows, fantastic clean beaches, reasonable bar prices.........don't be put off by negative comments, peoples opinions differ, and I think the majority of people who holiday in Benidorm have a great time

Have fun, you will love it!

Best Regards

Elaine
I am in Benidorm right now and considering the time of year, I was expecting it to be busier (not that I am complaining), the main bars are very busy but the smaller bars seem to be slowly closing, saying that, you are still spoilt for choice.

As for the area, I love Benidorm and feel that it is very difficult to get a better beach/promenade. It is a picturesque place and I think the only reason someone may find it "shabby" is because of the closed bars and shops that are around. This would never spoil Benidorm and stop me coming year after year.

It's a fantastic place so just go and have a great holiday, I am. Speaking of which, I better get ready to go out, I'm seeing Peatloaf for the second time this week. yippee!!!

Sue
Where is Peatloaf playing these days Sue?

luci :wave
Hi Luci,

He is playing in Morgans Tavern, seems to be 3 nights a week and still puts on a good show, if you like Meatloaf, that is.

Sue
The first time I went it was 240 pesetas to the pound and a pint (in a cabaret bar) cost 200 pesetas. Now it is 1.13 euros to the pound and a pint in the same bar costs 3 euros. When the price of drinks rises by over 300% there can only be one result, less British holiday makers! If our numbers drop to half of what they used to be (which seems to have happened over the last few years) that doesn't mean the same number of bars will just be half full, it means half the pubs will have almost no-one in them. Sad to say but if I'm on holiday I only go in the bars that are lively. Sadder to say is that those seem to be the ones that I used to avoid. It pays not to have a favourite bar in Benidorm because the chances are that next time you go it won't be there!
The thing you have to remember is that if there were half as many bars in Benidorm as there are NOW there would still be five times as many as in most other dead-hole resorts! You just have to put out of your mind the good old days when it was "cheap and cheerful" and every bar was packed and get on with enjoying what is there now.
Your formula that leads you to a 300% rise,a fair point but over what period of time are you talking, and back then what did you get for your money,live acts like now? Also what is that pound from back then worth now after long-term inflation, less than a pound that's for sure, even with a 3% CPI index annual rise the pound is worth 30% less per decade,that's without other factors like the huge rise in the Spanish GDP since the 1960's, the introduction of the Euro, the global recessions that we've had recently and in the 80's and 90's.

Sorry to be a bore but I don't really see the link, changes in numbers is down to so many transient factors, the rise of other resorts worldwide, places like Egypt are now more popular than ever and cheap,2 weeks 4* AI for £700 in a place with perfect weather, hotels with their own water parks etc, the opening up of no-frills airline routes to formerly hard to reach destinations, the lower prices to places like Florida, Mexico etc. There isn't less holidaymakers, there's just more places to go.
As for the cost of everything over here. The price of a pint in most bars, including the big ones with entertainment is 1.50euros. 2 vodka and oranges are 4euros (in the big bars), now that's as cheap as any resort I have been in this year and I have been in 6 different ones. The food is also reasonable, costing around 6/7 euros and I have spent less the last 8 days than I had expected.

As for closure of bars, this resort (in my oppinion) seems to be now catering for youngsters and also oap's in the winter months, there are not too many family bars left now and therefore families will stop coming here when you get alot of stag and hen nights. For me, I love all the parties and stay out til 4.30am but that's because we no longer have younger children. I would bring my grand kids here because we love Benidorm but I think there are better family resorts now, which is sad.

This is still one of my favourite resorts and I hope that will continue.

Sue x
We live in Spain and go to Benidorm at least twice a year As we live up in the mountains it is great to have easily accessible bars and restaurants.No problems with the place at all Still think it is a cheap holiday Friendly people Come and join us :cheers :cheers :cheers
We live in Spain and go to Benidorm at least twice a year As we live up in the mountains it is great to have easily accessible bars and restaurants.No problems with the place at all Still think it is a cheap holiday Friendly people Come and join us :cheers :cheers :cheers

Sounds like you love it.You should all try it Benidorm is the place to be. :tup
Yes we Do It's only an hour's drive away We always stay in Les Dunes Suites Great apartments,helpful staff,Cental but quiet and covered parking for only 5 euros a day.Favoutite places Caya Aragonesa for tapas China garden for the banquets The little Belgian bar that sells fantastic beer just off the Levante and the great greek tavena don't know the name on the Poniente :tup :tup :tup :tup
whereabouts in poniente is this greek place? how far from the old town for instance? :tup
It's a good walk It is right on the new esplanade We just walk and walk from the old town till we get there They do cracking' kebabs giros etc Last time we went in April I had Kleftico.Super ;)
they also sell Retsina and have Baclava as a dessert :tongue
cheers we'll check it out,might be a silly idea as we've lived in Greece for years so the food is just an everyday thing but might as well have a look!
No not silly We have spent almost 12 months in Greece when you add up all the time we have spent there Even been to such remote islands as Astypalia and amorgos and not too remote but not often visited Andros Love Greek food and it's a lot cheaper for the one hour drive to Benidorm than a flight and ferry to the islands I'm sure you won't be disappointed :D :D :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.