Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
That brings back an hilarious memory. The taxi driver dropping you off would flash his lights and toot his horn to let the boatman know that there was someone waiting to be picked up to be taken over to the restaurant. Taxi driver would then leave after you giving him a time for collection. On one occasion the night was quite cloudy and my husband stepped forward thinking it was solid ground, unfortunately he fell into the river. At least it was low tied and wasn't a deep drop. The next time we went the boatman had put candles on the jetty. They didn't give off much light but the thought was sweet all the same ....

Good to see you on the forum Calumn.
1st visit in april 2003, went back in nov 2003 to get married, back again in april 2004 and nov 2004, april 2005 egypt this year :( and back for april 2007 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The place is heaven cant wait till i have retired and move there :D :D
1999 for the Millenium then 2001 and then March this year 8) hopefully again next March but the silly prices for not too good accommodation is leading me towards Salvador, Brazil for the same money :?

Any members on here with photos from early 90's / 80's or even further back ? - would be nice to see what it was like then.

I have a few pictures of my first visit mid 90's, which i think have changed quite a bit from now!
one of which is a picture of the footpath leading to bobbys beach shack in baga.
First visit was Feb 1993..i think i have a few snaps from Goa in 1993..stayed at Colva
:lol: so that's why there were candles on the jetty :wink:
p.s. I actually joined last Sep but for some reason couldn't post admin fixed it for me last week so I will be joining in :)
edit
they gave up and let you join!! :lol:
Only joking- good to have you on HT!
Fiona
No photos from 1990 but some memories from then, the transfer bus was a wreck, luggage tied on with ropes, we stayed in the Alphaville Resort in Calangute, you locked your room door with a huge slidng bolt and massive padlock. Starting at the steps to the beach in Calangute and walking up into town, you had Sousa Lobos, then the Lobster Pot, the Capricon, then the Tibetan Kitchen and that was about as far as eating out went, There was only a fraction of the buildings that now spoil the main street, loads of palm trees lined it, and all the Kashmiri traders just spread a cloth on the ground and sold mostly wooden stuff from there Some years there were a few shacks some years very little, no sun beds, and few hawkers as far as I can remember We still visit but it was so much better then as you felt you were in India, now you could be anywhere Alan
You have to be careful of those big bolts with the padlocks. Last New Year's Eve someone thought it was funny to lock us in our room :x Fortunately our next door neighbours heard us shouting and let us out. There we were, all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Our first time in Goa was November 2001, Christmas 2004 and Christmas 2005. Not been to the South yet though.
Our first trip to Goa wasnt until Jan 2005 and then we returned again in Jan 2006, both times we have stayed at the Marinha Dourada and absolutely loved the hotel and Goa in general.
So now we are hooked on Goa (like everyone else in here). We have booked up for 3 times this coming season, Nov 06, Feb 07 and Apr 07, and it cant come quick enough.
After our next 3 Goa trips (and before winter 2007) we are thinking of trying the Far East, maybe Ko Samui and Bangkok (thanks for all the advise Fiona and ShirleyV).
January 14th 2006. :oops:
I can beat that Barrie!
October 2007!! :lol:
But now youre hooked like the rest of us barrie so thats all that matters :lol:
I am sure you will be a Goa addict as well soon Fiona (well october 2007 :lol: )
Gemma
Believe me I am an addict already! I know enough about the place! :lol:
I remember!!!! - hippies everywhere - procal harum playing "a whiter shade of pale" - the laid back atmosphere - the feeling of free love in the air - flowers in the hair - yes, it was april this year!!! Brian. :D
Hey Gramps
'Tibetan Kitchen' - was that the big wooden place right next to the steps to the beach in Calangute?

We ate there on our last night in 1994, and ordered 'menu twice' - or at least that what it seemed like when it arrived.
We'd ordered all sorts of stuff we'd never tried before as it was so cheap.

There were lots of Indian tourists around then, one chap with his family was eating, but his wife and kids didn't touch any food until he'd finished.

The menu used be very extensive.

Is it still there? We don't go into Calangute much now.

Polly
My first time was March/April this year and I have succumbed to the Goa bug. Usually my travel philosphy is to visit each place once as there's so much in the world to see but I've been stopped in my tracks and am going back in December - my other half is going skiing so I've had to bully a mate into coming with me!
Our first trip was April 2002, after the initial culture shock we loved it, later that year we went to Turkey and had an horrendous time. We went again in April 2003 and twice a year from then on. Love it so much we moved here Jan this year!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.