Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Keep it friendly folks. As per our T&C's, do not be drawn into conflict with other members.

We do not ban members lightly, but it will be done if it becomes necessary.

luci :wave
First visited Goa in November 1997 and stayed at the Pretty Petals in Candolim. We loved every minute of our holiday and have returned to Goa twice a year since. It was much quieter then and we were made very welcome by Jim the previous owner of the Peacock Pub who showed us everything the Goan way !! There have been lots of changes over the years to cope with the demand of the tourists but we still love it - if you've never been to Goa then you don't know what your missing !!
Hi All, My partner and i first went to Goa in Nov. 1994, and have been going back every year, first two years we stayed at whispering palms in candolim then at CSM on the baga road for 7yrs, stayed with adolph at Lazydays then we decided to try long stay 5mths. last year stayed at annetts beach apartments on the baga road, and it was brill, we have rebooked for the same time, over the years we have travelled into India and seen lots of places, the best place was the Taj Mahal, and tiger hunting in Khana national park brill. PL :glynis
We first went to Goa in 2005, then back again this year and booked again for next March. Absolutely love it.

Sue
I agree with lin b, regardless of all the changes I still love Goa a lot as well.

That is the problem of having visited Goa many many years ago. My first time was way back in 1977 pig toilets et al.

I suppose everyone expects or wants places to remain as they remember them. Just have a look at the area where you live in the Uk-- has much changed over the years?

The things that I like now that wasn't around in 1977 are the wonderful restaurants and bars. Ice cold Kingfisher was unheard of then. Ok, the beaches were absolutely deserted but there were no beach shacks to pop into for a cool beer at sundown.

There were no beach hawkers either-- personally I find them a welcome addition to the scene. They are a very colourful lot indeed. My wife and I never had any problems with them and , yes, we did buy some stuff from them.

To my knowledge there are places in India still like Goa back in the 1970's. They take a lot of finding but they are there.

I am sure when we all go back later this year or early next year we will see things differently and notice a lot of change. Embrace it and enjoy is my advice. A lot of people have got very angry indeed about changes that has upset them. This is India!
Thanks Pedgrogooner , If you came out now it is like going back 10 yrs, very few shops open, no shacks, sellers, beggers, I sat on a deserted beach yesterday, just me, a book, adopted dog "Joolie" and a cool bag, poss the nearest I will get to paradise.
:) Hi Linb, When i told Steve that you were out in Goa his reaction was "what for?", especially since i told him Davy had remained in England, but your last post answered that; i dont care a jot about how people moan Goa has changed over the years, i just thank whatever God that the genuine Goan people/ friends we have made over the years have remained the same, and it is that simple fact that makes Steve and myself revistited Goa very year since 1999 and we will continue to do so, until we can afford to retire there I may add. :D

see you soon

Jayne :wave
A few sensible posts at last !
I spoke about my Son - not me - so what is the problem with you all?
Read my post above and please familiarise yourself with our T&C's.

There will be no further warning.

luci HT Mod
My husband first went out as a hippy over 30 years ago and we went out together for 1st time 12 years ago and like you Lin always fitted it in as a second holiday till we retired and bought our house there a few years back, we have always and will always love it, the people are amongst the best we have met and we have travelled pretty much the world. It is a magical place and just draws you in, you cant explain it can you
Chilly :D
First went to Goa (Candolim) in December 2004, went again last December and am going back on 15th December this year - this will be the first time I'm there for Christmas and I can't wait!!! :D
1995 for my 40th birthday - been 8 times since.
Fish curry and rice/ice cold Kingfisher Stringfello's shack Candolim Beach ~ no place I'd rather be. :D
2006 and want to go back!
2000 was our first time and have been back every February since....

We always stay in the north and have done Timeshare at Baga, Fort Aguada, DIY flight only and rented a private house:but for the last 3 years we have stayed at The Phoenix Park...ideal location for us...doesn't compare with the Taj or Fort Aguada for luxury...but who cares!!! :)

Problem I have I am ,"cough" 50 in March and fancied something different...looked at Mexico, Cuba the US...but am still drawn to Goa!

Not booked anything yet...still pondering....But betcha we will end up back there... :D
Our first time was 1996 (I think?) and been back every year since then most years two visits for 2/3/0r four weeks. Bought a place at Highland Beach Resort two years ago, retired early theis April and intending 4/5 months there this season. First visit stayed at Donna Alcina, 1st day hated it there but after a good sleep everything was great, went down the beach road past Xaviers first shack we used was Sea Waves run by two brothers, spent most of our time there.sadly one of them was killed a couple of years later in a motor bike accident it Panjim so the original shack no longer exists. Many changes seen over the years sadly not very many for the better, but still a place we love and will continue to go back for the forseeable future, we see regular local people year after year many we now count as friends,also regular visitors from UK who like us return year on year.
our first trip to goa was 1997 and every nov since. :lol:
Nov 2002 was our first vist and what a culture shack. Having spent 2 weeks 5 star in Varadero in the May and staying at the Highland Beach in Candolim in Nov. What a difference but once you are over the shock and the flight you know you will return. Back in Jan 07 and first time we are staying for 3 weeks

My biggest regret is I didn't find it earlier however could do without "Taxi" every 3 yards!! Airport is definately better every year especially when leaving Goa - now less hassle and searches
March 1994 was my first time. Travelled with Inspirations and stayed in Candolim at Xaviers Beach Resort. Since then, went to Candolim in 97, 98 and this year with my lovely girlfriend (her first time).

Having read the posts, yes it has changed, but the spirit of the place is definitely still there and special. Can't wait till this season, i'm taking a career break, so we'll be heading out at the end of November for 5 months, using Candolim as a base for venturing off around India (well, if we can tear ourselves away from the beach !).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.