Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hundreds of people do this every year, the main locations being Santorini or Lindos on Rhodes. For something more personal I would pick somewhere else though, & the choice is endless!
Are you planning on coming independently or will the actual holiday be booked as a package? Have you been to Greece before & have any places you particularly liked? What else do you want to do with the time you have while you are here? Beach, sightseeing, history, walking? All those things will have a bearing on your choice of venue, but I'll help with ideas if you give a bit more info.
So much to think about!

well we defintely want to do some sight seeing, we like walking around and visiting local sites etc - but would want some relaxing beach/pool time too. We don't want anything too lively!

We wanted this to be as stress free as possible, so were going to book it through a large tour operator. However, looking at the online brochures it seems that all the hotels they recommend are large all inclusive ones which don't feel very Greek to us. If we were just going on holiday in Greece we probably wouldn't book a hotel at all, we'd go self catering. Also, a few of them wanted you to have the reception at the hotel. Again, we don't want that, we want to go for dinner at a local taverna.

I've never been to Greece before myself, but my partners family have and they love it out there. It's just that they've never been to or done a wedding out there, and that's the scary bit we want to get right!

thanks for your help

C&J
A friend got married in Parga and has written a comprehensive guide to getting married in Greece. You can find it on http://www.parga.com
We also think Skopelos Town is a good place and was very popular for weddings even before Mama Mia
Claire, I would think about seperating the wedding & the holiday planning rather than look at the whole thing being done by one tour operator which will limit your destination choice & do tend to include big fancy hotels.
There are many wedding planners actually in Greece, some deal with only a specific location, but some have quite a choice. Try looking at this one,
http://weddings.heliotopos.net/weddingshome.html
They seem to have a selection of destinations, all you have to do then is choose where, book your holiday, then get them to do the wedding package for you. That way you can choose the type of accommodation & location that suits you better.
Obviously this is not the only company, if you google 'Wedding planners in Greece' you should find plenty. Have a good browse & see who offers any destinations that interest you, or where you could get the ideal package holiday to, then research them by googling the names for reviews.
With the above company I notice they do Folegandros, Paros & Alonissos, all more traditional islands that would offer smaller accommodation in less crowded/touristy areas.
I would certainly consider booking flights & accommodation seperately too, to get the right location.
Paxos is small, friendly and gorgeous, with not an all-inclusive or major tour operator in sight. It sounds just what you're looking for! Have a look at this site - http://www.paxosweddings.com/index.html

Elaine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.