Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Ellie as a regular visitor to Thailand and Goa I can probably help , but would be easier if you could tell me where abouts in Thailand your sister stays
Hi shirl, she stays in Patong mainly but has visited Karon and Koi Sumui, she didn't really rate Koi Sumui.
( hope im spelling all them right)

Her preference is Patong.
Hi ellie, if she likes Patong , then she likes busy so I think Calangute would be good for her, hotel standards are way below Thailand though.
Thats what worries me Shirley as she stayed in the Central Hotel in Koi Sumui which if im right is one of the nicer hotels. Which is your preference Shirley between Thailand and Goa or are they completely different?
I don't really think I can recommend a decent hotel in Calangute as I have not stayed there before, a lot of people like the phoenix park in candolim which is only a short taxi ride from Calangute and there are tons of bars and restaurants in Candolim, horrible to recommend something to your won family in case they don't like it, I recommended my sister to try Negril in Jamaica and now she has booked I am petrified she won't like it :yikes
well I have been to Thailand loads of times, I have been absolutely everywhere in Thailand, and for me , since 2000 when I first went it has somehow lost it's innocence, if that makes sense :think where there were once little stalls at the roadside there are now swish glass fronted shops , the people just seem a little 'jaded 'to me now.
Goa is now my no. 1 place , even though the north is very commercial somehow it just works for me , I think I have found 'my' place and I would always choose it over Thailand, the only time I visit Thailand now is a couple of nights in Bangkok en route to Cambodia or Vietnam.
The Central in Ko Samui is a good standard as most hotels in Thailand are.........you would have to prepare your sister for BASIC accommodation :yikes
I think the Goans are friendlier than the Thais, and the meals in restaurants as good , if not better than Thailand.
Maybe your sister could look at the Lemon Tree Amarante in Candolim which is supposed to be a bit nicer than most Goan hotels.
Thanks Shirley your last post is what I wanted to hear as I really have not a clue what Thailand is like, well apart from what you hear. Ill pass the info on to her :tup

I just know she will love it for the same reasons I do if she decides to go.
Whats the Marinha Dorada like? Is that in a good location? She has been looking at that for an option.
There is a brand new hotel just of the beach rd in candolim its on the beach so to speak(as close has) its called No 32 my friends have been round it and said it was beautiful..sorry don't know of the prices it opened the beginnng of dec..

If you know of Teama's then its just to the left of that..

Its in a lovely place for the restaurants,bars.
The Marinha Dourada is lovely Ellie, decent rooms , nice and clean, but not much you can walk out to, short taxi ride to Baga, and taxis always waiting outside the hotel.
Hi iam ellie's sister looking at going to goa i cannot find the hotel no32 sleep-r-us could see if you can get more info thanks ljwoody :sun2
Oh hello mrs Woody :wave:

Now you can ask your own questions :rofl

I did google no 32 too but could find no info on it. Did you have a look at the Lemon Tree that shirley suggestion Li? Thats looks ever so nice :tup
Marinha Dourada is a fantastic hotel. Not much if youre looking for something within 5 minutes walking distance, but that doesnt bother me in the slightest.
The setting of the hotel and the views are fantastic. Hotel grounds, upkeep of hotel, the staff and everything else is fantastic.
5 minutes in a taxi and you are in Baga where all the biz is happening.
PS. I wouldnt recommend the Phoenix Park even if the hotel was for free, thats my opinion of that hotel, and I wont change it.
MD and a short walk (for me anyway) from my favourite place to have breakfast... The Lila Cafe.
I have to say that athough we loved the MD, you should not expect too much in the way of what your room will be like. The setting of the hotel is fantastic, sometimes it was a pain having to get taxis everywhere instead of being able to walk, (tried to walk to Lilas but the traffic was too scary with the kids) but the sceneary made up for that

I have to confess when I first saw the bathroom and the fridge I thought thank god I chose this hotel and not a lesser standard and when they brought the put you up bed :yikes (three attempts before there was one my son would sleep on) saying that the room was clean and as we were in the annex quite large. I would compare it with a basic Greek Isle style accommodation and after a few days we wondered why we had been bothered :que . I think the main thing is go with an open mind and enjoy but do not expect standards the same as Thailand unless you are prepared to pay a premium, say in the Lemon Tree, £6.00 for a bowl of soup :yikes I know where I would rather stay ;)
Debi
Debi I know it was your first time to Goa so you cant compare the MD against anything else and the rooms are basic, but ALL rooms in Goan hotels are basic and believe me, having stayed at other hotels in Goa, the basic rooms at the MD are still much better than most other accommodations.
The hotel itself doesnt have anymore ***** than other hotels in North Goa (infact in some cases it is less) but the outlook of the hotel in more ways makes up for this.
Hi :wave:
The Taj is supposed to be the best hotel in the north, maybe have a look at the Unusual and Luxurius thread
Hiya ljwoody..Need to send my friend in Goa a email ask him to get you a E-mail address it might be that they are new and just stting up they have'nt got a website yet but will ask for further details for you no probs.. :tup
Thanks for all your replies.i have looked at the lemon and it does look very nice but not got the dates i wanted so ill keep looking and working on the old man LOL ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.