Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
You won't get lager louts in Kefalonia where ever you stay as it is not that sort of Island we have been going there since 1989 and absolutly love this Island, we always stay in Lixouri but it is not in a lot of brouchures but I'm sure wherever you choose you will love it. there is lots to see the scenery it beautiful the people are out of this world hope you like it as much as we do
pojko
Go to Skala, good beach, plenty of taverna's and bars. I would recommend Sally's Bar in the middle of Town. You will need a car as the Isalnd is large and worth exploring. There's plenty of information on this site about Skala, but I would reommend it highly.
We stayed in Agia Efimia and thoroughly enjoyed it. There are always lots of boats in the harbour so it's good for people watching. There are some shops, a dive centre, boat hire and ferry trips a few times a week if you want to get out (cheaper than your tour rep prices). We hired a car for a few days and found quite a handy base to explore the island.
There's no clubs but a decent choice of bars/tavernas.
One thing I should point out though is that the beach & inlets are made of small pebbles, no sand. This personally didn't bother us as we are not ones for lying for days on a beach but if you like a sandy beach then this isn't the place for you.
As already stated, Aghia Efemia is a lovely place, also Mounda Beach, just outside Skala is gorgeous, there`s nothing there but a few self catering apartments and a small hotel, apart from a small snack bar/taverna, but it`s only 5 minutes by car into Skala, which has a few bars and restaurants but is a quiet resort. Mounda is also known as Turtle beach, so there are a few restrictions on where to locate sunbeds and umbrellas, but it`s a lovely sandy beach, whereas Skala is a bit shingly. Wherever you go on Kefalonia will be fairly quiet, the lager louts haven`t found it yet, hopefully they never will.
Agia Efimia is a lovely little resort, enough bars and tavernas, no beaches just pebbles, lovely little coves, the sea is so clear. .we found a little cove just up the bank before the cemetary tiny pebble cove had this to ourselves all morning great. We stayed at Makis which were lovely and clean and a nice small pool area with a bar. Not far from Sami also. Have also stayed in Skala, larger than Efimia lot more tavernas and bars, but still a nice resort, this beach is sand/shingle. definitely no lager louts.
Hi, if it's peace and quiet you are after then try the Niforos Apartments, at Petani Beach. :fly
We stayed there in Sept 2004 and it was perfect, plus Petani Beach is one of the lesser known beaches and so very quiet too.
The family that onwed the place were so friendly, and made us feel at home the moment we arrived.
At the time we booked througn Tapestry Holidays, but I think they might take private bookings now.

Although to be honest most places in Kefalonia offer peace and tranquility, and definitely no lager louts.
Having said that I personally would not recommend the Skala area, as it was a bit too "Benidorm" for my liking. :tut
Anyway, wherever you end up - enjoy, it's a beautiful island!
I think maybe it's a bit harsh to refer to Scala as Benidorm-like. In reality it's a village with a great deal of coat line and a good atmosphere. There are two bars that stay open late late and have music playing but otherwise it's fairly sleepy and (as you can tell!) I'm fairly taken with it. Mounda (Turtle) beach is fab and just up the road from Scala.

Lassi is the busiest resort but it's all relative and you definetley couldn't compare it to the likes of Falaraki. Lassi also has the best beaches of any resort - although there are better ones if you hire a car.

Agia Efima is lovely but it has no beach to think of and I see it as more of an "adult" resort - am more than happy to stand corrected though!

Lixoui is lovely but mainly based around the hotels on the coast line and Lordas is nice too - just watch out on accommodation how far up the hill you are - it can be quite a trek! (the same is true of Lassi).

Hope this helps!
I would not class Skala as Benidorm, and Aghia Efimia I would say more of a couples resort, we thoroughly enjoyed it
:roll: Oops, I didn't mean to offend anyone...

As I stated in my post, it was just my "personal" opinion, that's all.
It's just that when visiting somewhere as beautiful as Kefalonia,
I'd personally prefer to stay in the part of the island where there's more pretty coastlines and scenery
than somewhere I thought was a bit touristy like Skala (or Lassi).

Anyway, as I said before, wherever you end up - enjoy, it's a beautiful island! :D
no offence taken, I did prefer Aghia Efimia to Skala, lot quieter, nice harbour, the butcher, the bakers a few shops, and I mean a few but don't need shops.
Lager louts should not be a problem in most of Kefalonia although we must watch how things develop on the Lixouri peninsula with the new all inclusive hotel opening this season (maybe!) only joking latest photos suggest it is going well despite some very rough weather through January & February with heavy snow causing the power lines to collapse in places and the island losing electricity for a week period in places.
Our favourite place to stay and recommendation is stay in Argostoli the great cosmopolitan capital of the island which has
  • Excellent tavernas for all tastes
    Great shops varied but unrushed nightlife
    Excellent views
    A great central location for easy travel all around the island
    Good nearby beaches

More information on Argostoli can be found at
http://www.ionian-island.co.uk/
and some recent pictures of the Kefalonia Aqua Beach club

kefallon :D
I would have to lean towards Skala. It is quite a vibrant place in the evening, loads of restaurants and bars to choose from, a couple play music but nothing loud. A great beach and very freindly locals. However, given the location you will need to hire a car for at least 3 or 4 days to see this gorgeous island.
As Kefallon says, Argostoli is the hub of the island and if you did want to spend a lot of time there then perhaps Lassi may be a good choice for you. It has great beaches and is very close to the capital but there is something about the resort that i just can't seem to like. Thousands of people stay there year after year and love it, but for me Skala, Aghia Efima, Katelios or many other resorts seem to have a little more "greek feel" to them
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.