Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
You'd probably do well to say what your group is made up of Joe, ie: Family or friends including age groups and interests.

That said it sounds as though you're sun worshippers so my guess is this is going to come down to your budget and distance from the sands :think

Good luck.
If you want the old town area you will be looking for hotels in the Ras em sid (I think it's called ) area. Have a look at the 2nd map down on this link http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=142889 for the hotels in that area. It will also give you a better understanding of the Geography . There are a couple more maps there too. I can't comment on the beaches in that part but I always thought the reef was good in that area which to me would suggest less sand .

I believe the beaches are good at the Nabq end of sharm . Ie. Holiday village , coral sea resort , Grand azure but you would be at the furthest point from Naama bay here. On a plus side there are some shops, bars, restaurants for a wander there. Maybe not the atmosphere of NB which is a fairly bright lights sort of place with an egypian feel but at least you have some options .

We like sharks bay area ourselves , the reefs are good if you like snorkeling but appreciate maybe not what you want if you like a good beach . there is also a new area called soho square for a wander around a few shops, bars , bowling I believe and a nightclub but again not sure of how many use it . As with most hotels in sharm there is always a wide choice of swimming pools to choose from and I like nothing more than wandering down on the jettys , taking a seat to chat and watch people snorkelling .

We didnt like the beaches down in NB .The sea life is not as good nor as colourful and we found due to the amount of dive boats etc the water was not of the quality you get further away.

Do let us know what kind of group you are Jo and what you like then hopefully we can help you narrow things down more.

lyn
Hi.

Thanks to you both for your advice. It is just myself & my partner going, the kids are staying with Gran for a week so looking for a week of peace & relaxation!! We are both in our 30's & really looking for a relaxing week. We are thinking about staying in either the Hilton Sharks Bay or the Sierra Sharks Bay. I have choosen to ignore my friends advicee as we think Sharks Bay looks lovely. Any further advice would be great. Jo
Hi Jo -I have stayed at the Hilton Sharks Bay 3 times, and in the Sunrise Island View which is also in Sharks Bay. The beach at these hotels is not great but the reef more than makes up for it, with fabulous snorkelling off the jetties.

At the Hilton there are tiered terraces going down to the beach with sunbathing areas/loungers. There is hardly any room for loungers at the actual beach, and you cannot walk directly into the sea because of the coral. There is a beach bar, and another bar close by and I enjoyed sunbathing on the terraces and being able to watch the sea.

I dont know the Sierra although I know where it is. There is a row of hotels overlooking the sea, and it is close to the Hilton. I would highly recommend the Hilton as a good quality hotel with excellent facilities and excellent service. If there's anything particular you need to know, just ask. We are making our 4th and 5th visits there this year, so you could say I like it, and Sharks Bay!
Although Hilton sharks bay doesn't have a large beach the tiered area of sunbeds that run above and up to the beach snack/bar are are great. I preferred the tiers to the beach for better views, service from the beach bar (yet still closer to the main hotel than the beach) and most of all space!

If you can get a deal go for it. Everything from the staff to the food was fantastic.
I would agree with Meerkat that the quality of the reef at the Hiliton more than makes up for the lack of sandy beach. However, its worth pointing out that if anyone in the party has walking difficulties or is indeed unfit the site is on a severe incline and access to the beach is down quite steep stairs - though when I was there five years ago I did see a dedicated member of staff carry a wheelchair down!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.