Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Rhodes Old Town is not to be missed. May I suggest you hire a car even if only for a couple of days , & just take off an explore.We have lived in Rhodes since May. On thursday a friend from UK came over from Turkey where he is on holiday.We hired a car & found by chance a large lake near Apolakia. So you see you never know what you may find.
I also wouldn't miss the cobbled streets of Rhodes Old Town, surrounded by 14th century fortifications and see the Castle of the Knights of St John. The Avenue of the Knights is impressive, and the medieval area around it had me walking round with my camera for ages. There's also the Palace of the Grand Master to see.

There are too many landmarks to mention, and I spent hours there over a couple of days. Google the Town for much more info on what the Town has to offer, and see some pictures. This is a World Heritage Site.

You're right on the spot for the Acropolis at Lindos, the the Temple of Athena dating back to the 4th century BC.
Petaloudes (Valley of the Butterflies) No butterflies there when you are going but it's a lovely spot for a walk in lush surroundings.Epta Piges (Seven Springs) another lovely place.Literally 7 springs of the freshest water bubbling up from the ground. You can walk in ankle deep water through a tunnel to a little lake. If you eat there you are liable to get a peacock on the next chair begging for titbits!Then there's Ancient Kamiros and the cross at Filerimos. Climb to the top for fabulous views-------and jelly legs when you come back down! So many places to see, all with their own charm. Happy holiday!
I was going to mention the cross but you beat me to it Anne. You are much braver than me, I never climb it as just being up that high gives me jelly legs, especially when you see the planes taking off beneath you. Has anyone mentioned Prasonissi? Its down at the end of the island past Pefkos and its where the Aegean and the Med meet, very windy but well worth a look. A boat trip to Symi is a nice day out as well, not sure about getting one from Lindos but loads of trips from Rhodes harbour.
Its not possible to visit Symi direct from Lindos. You can book with an agency In Lindos much cheaper than thro rep. You are collected from your accomodation by coach & taken to Mandraki harbour in Rhodos. The boats leave there @ 9am returning to Mandraki about 6ish.So its a long day but really,really worth it.
Not so brave Ninkynonk. I only climbed it once!
We just got back last week and had a great time. I too can recommend Rhodes Old Town...it's lovely at night when it's all lit up too (we went twice!!). We also did the boat trip to Symi and it's a gorgeous place. We booked with a little tour operator near where we were staying nr Trianda and paid 25 euros each including transfers to Rhodes Harbour.....Olympic charged their customers 42 euros each and the only difference was that they had a guide!!. The trip to Symi also stops at Panormitis Monastery which is also lovely...you get about an hour there.
I wonder how much work was done by Olympic guide. Nice day out for the guide. I can think of worse ways of passing time in Greece!!!
yeah nice work if you can get it :D . If we'd thought earlier we could have tagged on at the back of them and listened to the guide for free ;)
All of the above plus the water park at Faliraki, even if there are no kids its great fun. Some of the mountain villages are lovely, go in land in a car and see a different side to Rhodes.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.