Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Mark,

I've been to all 3 countries (but not with small kids) and they are all different in their own way. The weather should be very similar between them all (don't know about the mossies though), but I've never been at that time of year so someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that. My advice is as follows:-

ALWAYS read the hotel and resort reports, not just from this site, but other sites as well e.g. TripAdvisor.com (Sorry Mods :D ) and use google a lot. Do lots of research before you decide (which you have started well by posting on here :tup ) especially on things like location. Some hotels are just in the middle of nowhere.

For Dom Rep, don't go to the North coast because that is the Atlantic coast not the Caribbean so the sea is normally rougher. We went to Sosua, near Puerto Plata, and it was very rough. Dom rep is quite intimidating if it's your first time in the Caribbean. You get quite a bit of hassle from the local shop and stall holders (but this IS normal for the vast majority of places in the Caribbean). Just be polite and say no thanks (or even go in and have a look) and you should be fine.

Mexico is very safe to walk out. My preference would be for Playacar due to it's close location to Playa del Carmen (which is quieter than Cancun) but most of the hotels are within walking distance of the town (15 - 20 minutes walk). You will get a bit of hassle (not too bad though) down 5th Avenue (the tourist shopping area) but go up a couple of streets and it's fine.

Cuba, well if you've been to the Cayos you have experienced that. We went to Varadero and loved it. The ONLY place in the Caribbean where we were hardly ever hassled. Very cheap as well. Havana is a great trip from Varadero as well.

Cheers

Keith
Hi keith,
Thanks for your reply,
We are thinking of going to the Sandos Playacar beach resort in Mexico,
Have you been to this hotel ??,Any info ??
Best regards
Mark..
Hi Mark,

No, we went to the Riu Tequila (my favourite place on earth) which was close to the Sandos. The Tequila is not on the beach but has the advantage that you can use the other 2 Riu hotels (Riu Yucatan and Riu Playacar) which ARE on the beach. It is only a short walk from the Tequila to the beach (200 yards or so) or they run a golf buggy to the beach if you are feeling lazy.

The Playacar area is very nice and is built around a golf course (if you're interested). From the Sandos it is only about a 20 minute walk into town, or a $5 taxi ride. There is a small shopping centre within a few minutes walk from the Sandos.

Have a read of the hotel reports for the Sandos, the 3 Riu hotels, the Iberostar etc around Playacar. It really is a very nice area to stay.

Cheers

Keith
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.