UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
I used this company last year for renting a house in Whitby and they were very good. :)

http://www.dales-holiday-cottages.com/
We have stayed in Whitby a lot when i was younger we use country cottages or there is an agency thats good called ingrid flute not sure of website? One word of warning Church street the old world street is full of character but most properties have no parking nearby and the council carpark at the end of the road isnt that nice we brought a parking permit for £20 but often no spaces!

Whitby is wonderful one of my fave places :D

Alison :D
Hi Mandyholiday

We stayed in Whitby about 3 years ago and stayed at Captain Cook's Haven. They are called Fishermen's cottages, but my husband saw a picture of them once I'd booked at said I was taking him to Brookside!

Don't worry, it wasn't like that. It's about a mile along the river and only takes 20 minutes to walk into Whitby town centre. Very quiet, it had it's own swimming pool and two small play areas for children. We had a lovely holiday, it was well furnished and very comfortable. We booked through Hoseason's - don't know if it's cheaper to book direct.

Good luck

Kirren :)
I stayed in Whitby last Easter in a caravan site near the Abbey. I think it was a hoseasons site (they are on the web) It was about 20 mins walk into the centre of town.
We have also used this company: http://www.whitby-cottages.co.uk/Whitby.htm we stayed in Seagull cottage by the abbey steps - really nice but no parking.

Country cottages are good too.

And this company are good - http://www.shoreline-cottages.com/

Thanks for your replies so far everyone.

I'm going to take a look at some at the sites mentioned but so far the cottages I have looked at have not exactly been cheap.As there is only the 3 of us it may work out cheaper to go in a hotel so I am still open to suggestions.

If anyone has stayed in any hotels/guest houses any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks again.

Mandy :)
Can anyone recommend a nice inexpensive B & B pub/inn in Whitby or near there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for that Bob, will have a look.
Can someone please tell me about Whitby; how busy is it? Is there much to do in and around it for a week? Are there many shops there, restaurants etc? Thanks...
Mossy I can imagine it will be busy in August. The street is full of shops but not sure they could keep you busy for a week. There is a castle there that you could have a wander round and lots of boats to see.

Whitby is lovely but it isn't a place I would want to go to for a full week - but maybe thats because I like a bit more to do and get bored easy :lol:
Thanks for that, I appreciate the advice.
Whitby is a great place to go though it's very busy in the summer. Don't know about restaurants but there's lots of cafes and fish and chip shops. There's lots of other places to visit nearby as it's very close to the North Yorkshire moors
Weve spent many a week in Whitby - its a charming place, nice little shops and tea rooms. Im vegan but the magpie cafe gets rave reviews - we braved the ques once, the vege menu was good but everyone goes there for the fish.

The abbey is worth a visit, the ghost and dracula walks are very good quality too.

We used Whitby as a base to explore further - the Moors are a great day out we went as far as Thirsk, stopping off at various market towns, pubs and abbeys/museums. Robins Hood bay, Staithes etc...nice little villages to explore. Scarboroughs a 40 min drive away - bigger but not as much character as Whitby i felt.

It will be busy in Aug i think theres a flok festival which draws mega crowds and not sure when the goth festival is?

Love the place - am sure we will return!

I've been going to Whitby for all of my life! My grandparents had a house near Robin Hoods Bay so we spent weekend after weekend going there, but I was never bored and I still have a need to go three or four times a year - we have spent New Year there twice. The place is a traditional seaside town which hasn't changed much in decades. It's busy all summer but this coming weekend is the regatta and it will be packed as will bank holiday weekend. Parking in the town is a nightmare. No problem staying there for a week. 199 steps to the Abbey, Dracula experience, good beach, various boat trips, crab fishing in the harbour, Captain Cook museum, replica Cpt Cook ship. Plenty of Fish and Chip retaurants, couple of Indians, bistro on the front. It's also a good base for exploring the North Yorkshire Moors which has some spectacular scenery, especially the Esk Valley - Grosmont, Egton Bridge, Lealholm, Ruswarp. The North Yorkshire Moors railway now serves Whitby so you can go to Pickering for the day on a steam hauled train.
Not forgetting the Famous Lucky Duck shop :)
Yes indeed i have several on my shelf here!

I see whitby more as a day out rather than a week out i could go for a long weekend but a couldnt see myslef dragging into A full week.
Whitby is a bit of an all year resort now in particular at weekends a few stags and hens.

nick :smokin
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.