Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Lots of info on the thread '1st timers to Antalya' Hope that helps. Denny
We got talked into white water rafting by some friends we were on holiday with and weren't that keen.

Have to say it was one of the best day trips I've ever done. Absolutely fantastic fun. It was a few years ago now but from memory I think they took kids over nine. At the time the rep was selling the trip for £38 each, we went outside the complex and found a local agent and got it for £12.50 each. Same river, same boats. Well worth the cold, cold water.
I went last year and it was £30 through our hotel rep but you could probably get a better deal elsewhere. I have to say it is tremendous value for money as it takes about 3.5 hours to get down the river. It is a fair journey getting up there though.

My experience wasn't the best as our raft capsized and the safety talk didn't give us instructions on that particular scenario! At the time it was absolutely terrifying as we upturned in the biggest set of rapids. So it was underwater pinball against all the rocks in the rapids and then a big rescue operation with all the other rafts as we had all lost our oars (and shoes in my case but they were recovered). One by one we were plucked to safety either from the water or off the rocks we had been able to cling to. However, I would still recommend it as I'm sure it was a one off and we think it was because we had only 5 in our raft and therefore a big weight ratio difference between one side and the other. My advice is to make sure your raft is full. People were saying 'oh you were never in any real danger' and they did, as a team, collectively get straight into action (there were whistles going off and everything - all hands on deck so to speak) but yet only a couple of weeks later we heard of a school teacher drowning on a trip with pupils to rapids in Australia as he had got his foot caught in rocks.

However, there were a few others who took a tumble in the water and were swiftly pulled back in, but all the other rafts had a safe and enjoyable ride. We were the unlucky ones. I would have loved to have been in one of those other rafts as I felt cheated as everyone else absolutely loved it!

We were very bruised and hobbling around like geriatrics for a few days but otherwise unscathed. Maybe I'll try to put my fears to rest and give it another go some time. Maybe.......
my husband and friends went rafting a couple of years ago also my 20 year old daughter.my daughter fell out of raft and only hubby seen her so he jumped in to save her ,they were both petrified .after this she refused to leave raft to carry over rocks as she was so scared of the water(an excellent and competent swimmer),needless to say she had to be carried over rocks while still seated in raft.i would think carefully before you decide to let children do this activity.this is one activity my family stay clear of now ,
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.