Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Manos have pulled out for the coming season, none of the big tour operators go. You may get some sort of package with Jewel In The Crown, but it is using scheduled flights
Hi is there any specific reason the tour operators have pulled out pf kerala?

I got the impression a couple of years ago it was up and coming ?
neither manos or jewel in the crown are going there. maybe there wasnt enough demand.
We have booked flights to Kerala in March with Qatar Airways and we are really looking forward to going having been previously with First Choice. The flights are cheaper than we paid for Goa in November, but unlike Goa where we have found good deals on the Monarch Holidays "accommodation only" web page we have as yet nothing booked for Kerala. I have an advantage in that I have kept in touch with our guide from 2006 who has set up a small tour company and he will draw up an itinerary that meets my needs and budget. I can put you in touch if you want me to, send me a PM.
One problem I have come across is that many of the hotels web sites are out of date so it's difficult to contact them. I also think the prices quoted on some are totally unrealistic too and I'm sure much better deals are to be had. Depending on when you go I would imagine you will get accommodation on a walk in basis.
To get the most out of Kerala you have ,IMO, got to tour the whole state. If you are going to stay on the beach you might as well go to Goa if it's easier to arrange. The hinterland of Kerala leaves Goa in the shade but it is of course a much bigger state. You have a huge network of backwaters and an overnight trip on a riceboat is highly recommended. Take in the Thekkady wild life reserve and journey to the mountain tea plantations around Munnar where the air is clean and crisp. It really is "God's own country".
Another noticeable difference to Goa is that alcohol is not as widely available away from the tourist zones. Sold for "Home consumption" only in government shops which are not too widespread it's worth stocking up with a couple of bottles of your favourite tipple when you go on tour although all hotels can provide you no matter where you seem to be. Take some tonic water if you happen to enjoy a gin.... we ended mixing ours with some really weird combinations of bright orange fizzy drinks ! At the coast every where sells alcohol but most are not licenced so a bottle of beer might be served wrapped in a paper napkin or newspaper along with a glass so it's pretty obvious what you are drinking anyway. We went to one place where they did a better disguise job by serving it in an iced teapot and teacups. Great fun playing the game !!!
As for food, the choice is ( or was in 2006) less international and more local but if you are not into hot and spicy it's not a problem. You will find non Indian dishes but Keralan cuisine is different to the Indian food we are accustomed to getting. It leans heavily towards fish and vegetables, uses coconut as a common ingredient but not in a sickly Korma style but a vibrant and tasty way which is more like Thai than Indian.
I can't recommend Kerala enough. If you haven't been it really is worth the effort. Although British tour companies might have pulled out I am sure it will continue to grow as a popular holiday destination and the sooner you go the more of the genuine article you are likely to see. Even the main tourist resort of Kovalam still has the locals singing and chanting as they haul in their fishing nets in from the sea. Magic !
I can't understand why all the package holiday operators have stopped going to Kerala. We've only been there once and found it to be an "OK" holiday destination. plane was full, no problem there. quite a nice place with friendly people.
Have to say though, "I" think Goa is better.
Would like to hear why they've all stopped going there though!!!! any suggestions????
BOB.
Bob, Beach for beach I agree with your appraisal, it's the rest that makes the difference !
Remember the number of charter flights to Goa has drastically reduced this season too. The holiday industry is contracting and it makes economic sense for them to reduce the number of destinations to maximise use of planes etc.. cheers Dave
Still can't understand why none of the tour operators going there though. :que surely there would be money to be made if one tour operators ran a service there ,say once a week!!! :think
The place is good. :tup
BOB.
When we went to Kerala 3yrs ago our flight was shared with Goa clients it was with My Travel really enjoyed it,
the night on the House boat at the backwaters will be a lasting memory. :)
annx
Mercury direct are doing holidays to Kerala had e-mail through today .
annx
Hayes and Jarvis are offering Kerala this winter using Emirates airline. I've used H&J previously (though not to Kerala) and found them very good, they are part of the huge TUI group and so should be safe.
The only time I went to Kerala was with First Choice in 2008 - it was a fantastic holiday, I travelled around a bit, went all the way up to Cochin by train, and really enjoyed it - but sadly FC have axed the destination from their brochures now.
Hopefully all the interesting destinations like Kerala, Brazil, Costa Rica, and Pacific Mexico, which we've lost will come back in a couple of years to the charter airlines.
Kerala's very easy on Emirates..you can go to Trivandrum or Cochin, travel across state and fly back from the other....and see much more than a package trip.
Fort Cochin is lovely and very Dutch, then it's a 5 hour drive across state on a good road, or you can go up to the tea plantations for a week, visit a wildlife sanctuary, then come back down to the beach areas near Trivandrum.
The beach life isn't as "cool" as Goa, but for an all round trip you can pack a lot more in.
I was surprised at Kerala...it's a very rich state and the quality of the roads and infrastructure was excellent...not the dustbowl i was expecting.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.