Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
KERALA- Q&As
120 Posts
going in 3 weeks with manos. anybody been here? bakers resort
thanks for the hotel report Jacquisz.
Happychick- I have asked for your hotel to be added to our review page. Hopefully someone can review it for us before you go.here it is
Good to hear that you had a good time jacquisz in kerala. :lol:
We are staying at the travancore heritage and wonder if anyone knows a place nearby to hire Enfield Motorcycles for 2 experienced riders who will be travelling with their own helmets and insurance.
Hello, Can anyone recommend a good tour company in Kerala to book a private trip around the sights with? Also has anyone done the weeks tour with First Choice if so is this any good? Thinking of going to Kerala in February and would like to see some of the country. Thanks!
Wait until you get there, there are plenty of offers available. You will also be able to suss out where you would like to go, rather than rely on guide books. Kerala is a huge state and the sights are spread around. A trip from Trivandrum to Cochin takes 5 hours in a taxi and its only just over 100 miles. A trip to the tip of India from Trivandrum takes about 4 hours each way by bus. I don't know what the First Choice trip is, but bear in mind the distances and see how much travelling is actually involved. If I did Kerala again I'd do some time in the north around Cochin then move to the south before flying back from Trivandrum.
We took the First Choice tour last winter and it was brilliant. Unbelievable value for moey. We were lucky that we booked early, before they changed the way they operate the tour. We had two nights in Kovalam to recover from the journey before setting off on tour. Now it appears you land in Trivandum and instead of a 20 minute journey to your hotel it's several hours journey.We ended up with just one other couple with our own driver and guide in a people mover rather than a coach. Fantastic flexibility to stop whenever etc.The other couple had booked the deluxe tour which was £400 more, but their accomodation wasn't that much different from ours and in two instances we felt we had the better deal.
The only part of the trip we would have substituted was the night in Cochin. We preferred to spend time in Thekkady.
I am not sure whether I would repeat the trip having been spoilt the first time.
It's also difficult to decide wether to revisit the Uday Sumara which was fine until we experienced the Leela which was fantastic.
We are definitely going back though. Kerela is wonderful.
Hi, thanks for that. We are now trying to decide on the First choice tour or the Jewel in the crown tour. Both look good and seeing it will be our first time to India think I would rather book something here. It is between the same hotels for us as well think I am going to go for the Leela though.
Hi, booked to go to Kerala in February and as we have never been to India before can any one advise on changing money. I read you can not change it before you go, is it best to take sterling, travellers cheques or use a card, or better to take us dollars? Do you change some at the airport or what is best? Thanks for any help.
It is'nt possible to buy Indian Rupees in the UK prior to your holiday. We took sterling travellers cheques, which were easily cashed in our hotel. However, there is a Thomas Cook desk at Trivandrum Airport, just before you exit the airport terminal so it is possible to cash say £20 there for tips etc. when you first arrive
Thanks for that. As you have been before could you answer a few more questions for me? Do you need an adaptor for plugs if so which ones? Also do you know what sort of clothes I need in February in the evenings will I need a cardi? Sorry if these questions sound a bit stupid but have no idea what to expect!!
You just need a standard continental adaptor.
We went last February and most evenings the temperature was perfect.You didn't need to wear very much at all. We found we took too many clothes, you dress down when eating out. Shorts, T-shirts are the norm.The last night became so hot and humid that the less you wore the better.
Did you end up booking a tour ? Which hotel have you gone for ?
If you are staying in Kovalam, there is a cash machine at Kovalam Junction, if you are going on tour you will need to take extra cash as you might have more problems finding one. There is one in Munnar and lots in Cochin provided you are staying fairly close.
You will also find that there are few mosquito's about, the only place we were bitten was in a spice plantation. Kovalam is fine.
I would also take a small torch as that might come in very handy as some stretches of pathway are poorly lit.
From a safety point of view, you have no need to worry.
Hi, thanks for that will have to get an adaptor as I think a continental one is different than the two pin european one. Also thanks for the clothes tips, I always tend to take too much!! We have booked a trip with Jewel in the Crown and then a week on the beach in Kovalam at the Leela hotel. I am really nervous about it having never ventured that far before! Have you booked anything yet? I have found out about malaria tablets, injections, visa's and I will get money changed at the airport for the trip. Thanks again.
By continental I meant European style.
Where does your tour go to ? I forgot, Munnar is up in the mountains and it can be a bit chilly there so a fleece or cardigan is spot on.
The Leela is fabulous, one of the nicest hotels I have been in. The breakfasts are magnificent but we didn't eat there in the evenings.
You will need a torch if you walk to eat out. Highly recommended is Third Rock from the Sun on Samudra beach.You can sit by the waters edge, magic. You must go there in the morning too to watch the fishing nets being hauled in.
Don't be nervous about anything, it's all magical. All your senses will be assaulted with new experiences.
We decided to go to Goa this year ( First Choice again), main reason because you can go for 3 weeks wheras Kerela only 2. We will go back though. Just can't get enough of the place.
Hi, our tour is two nights on a boat on the backwaters then two nights at Periyar with trips from there to see the animals(hopefully) and to spice plantations, then three nights at Marari beach resort with a trip to Cochin. The Leela looks good on the reveiws I have read, nice to know you have been there and liked it. I will write down the Third rock name as good to know somewhere is recommended, and take a torch. Looking forward to it. Hope you enjoy Goa, if Kerala goes ok we might be asking you about that for next time!! Thanks again. Linda
off to Kovalam on January 11th and staying at the Golden Sands Guest House- has anyone stayed here before or are booked to stay in the next couple of months?
how close is it to the beach
also any recomendations for things to see and do
Help! its coming up quickly and we're getting excited! :shock:
When we went last April the friends we travelled with both took the malaria tablets you buy from the chemist and both were very sick. They had the doctor come to the hotel to see them and the first thing he said was stop taking the tablets - you do not need them here. It still took a couple of days after stopping for them to feel 100% again. I know they make me sick so I don't take them - ever!! Just make sure you have loads of mozzie spray and make sure it is the strong formula for the tropics. We did not get bitten at all, even when we went to Aquaserene, which is in the middle of the lake.
If you are flying with a charter airline, just make sure you are not over your luggage allowance on the way home. They are very strict at Trivamdrum airport and will make you pay the excess - in sterling not rupees!
Hi Mrfrostie, we are staying in the Golden Sands for 3 weeks in December. Will write a review when we return.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.