Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
KERALA- Q&As
120 Posts
We found the airport in Kerala much better organised than Goa. It is a newer airport with better facilities.
Brenliz

No fighting porters then? and is there a decent duty free?

The duty free is pretty ppor, the departure lounge struggles to cope with the numbers.
Arrivals were tedious but spacious when we went. Took ages to get through immigration. Porters not too bad, they let you carry your bags as far as the coach then ask for a pound to load them on the roof !
We didn't have any problem with departures, we must have got a good day! Duty free is hopeless and I agree with Dave about the porters, they were not as persistent as Goa. The airport is more spacious and less claustraphobic all round so you don't get the feeling that you are being crowded out as in Goa.
Just to let you know we have just arrived back, as regards the building work, :o they are only building a wall on the outside of the hotel, and unless you go for a walk on the outskirts you would not even know about it, The hotel was really nice, but rooms were quite basis, if you are going with First Choice, the rep Penny is excellent, as she is based at the hotel, and is always around Morning and Evening, the shacks just outside the hotel food was excellent, but we found more expensive than Goa, the alcohol is available, but :arrow: PLEASE be carefull if buying wine in restaurants be expect to pay around £14.00 a bottle of cheap plonk, the goverment liquor store is cheaper, but bear in mind you have to add 60% tax :cry: ptherwise had a great time, but be :? patient at the airport, I thought the security and queing was worse than Dabolim, and the tinest duty free shop you have ever seen, but we certainly enjoyed the holiday, lovely and peacefull, but no shopping there, (sorry ladies) unless you want sandals or sarongs,
I was expecting to take minimum in my suitcase, and come back with a full one. No shopping :omg. Just one thing can you buy the cheap towels (as in Goa) for the beach, I think they cost a couple of quid in Goa :?:
uday samudra
we were told by T/Cook that the building work was ,
a new lobby,swimming pool ect.and although screened
you could still hear the work going on,with inside work.
so rather than take a chance we took the option to cancel
this hotel and re book.we think the Golden Sands altough
small looks nice and in a good position,so lets hope we have
done the right thing,leaving March 1st not long to wait.
ann
MK61, I am sure you will find lots to buy. There aren't too many shops by the US but there are lots on Lighthouse Beach and along the back of the beach. We certainly found lots to buy, we also thought it was better quality than Goa. It is worth having clothes made up as well. We enjoyed our shopping sprees in Kerala as much as we do in Goa. Not as many nice sandals though and they are much cheaper in Goa, but lots of skirts and tops. Have a great time.
Thanks Brenliz

We are staying at the Sagara Hotel, do you know what it is like ? Did you visit this hotel when you were there?
Sorry I don't know this hotel, we stayed at Jasmine Palace which is more or less between Lighthouse Beach and Hawa Beach.
mk61

We stayed at the Sagara for 2 weeks last February. Great little place (apart from the steps)! Small family run hotel, friendly and helpful staff. Fairly basic but comfortable and spotlessly clean.

Excellent rooms, large and airy with ceiling fan and great aircon. Huge balcony with great sunset views (through hundreds of palm trees & resident crows). Fridge & cable tv in room, and good large bathroom. If you want water/beers etc for the fridge, just ask and it will appear.

Tiny swimming pool up near roof level, having said that we were often only ones there, so no problem. The manager did show us plans for new pool at ground level, dont know if this has happened yet. Pool towels available if you ask.

Little open air breakfast room/restaurant on the roof above the pool, surrounded by palm trees. Basic breakfast provided, fresh juice, tea/coffee,toast & jam, but extras available. Lunch/evening menu looked good & very reasonable, but dont tend to eat 'in'.

Safety deposit available at reception, also internet access (both small charge). Kathakhali show arranged every fortnight, very good, about £10 including traditional banana leaf dinner & a drink.

Great location right at the lighthouse end of the beach, a short way up a very steep hill, literally a few minutes down to the beach but harder on the way back! You can also walk down and back from the rear of the hotel, through windy pathways which brings you out towards the centre of Lighthouse beach. The only drawback are the steps surrounding and inside the hotel (its built into the hillside so no avoiding them). It can be a little daunting in that heat, having said that, as long as your'e reasonably fit, it shouldnt be a problem.

We had a great holiday there, and I would thoroughly reccomend it (unless you have walking difficulties of course)! By the way, we left in the middle of the night for our flight home, and a cast of thousands suddenly appeared to wave us off, so make sure youve got plenty of rupees left!

Have a great time, I'm sure you will. Would say Im jealous, but we're off next week too! :lol:
  • Edited by jayneb 2007-02-23 17:18:27
Jayne
I've asked for the hotel to be added to our reviews. Would you be able to copy and paste your review there please so we don't lose it. :D
Fiona

Would if I could! I'm a bit of a technophobe I'm afraid, but I will try tomorrow when I have some time (probably have to rope in the nearest 10 year old to show me how)!

Jayne :oops:
thanks Jayne- can't ask for more :lol:
Thanks JayneB for the Hotel Review :) Your a star... We dont fly until the 8/3 but I am now getting quite excited.
mk61 - You're welcome & happy hols :sun

Fiona - Did it & all on my own! I've really impressed myself :D
Jayne
  • Edited by jayneb 2007-02-23 17:20:05
Hi everybody, we are off to Uday Samudra in a few weeks time, anyone who has been there can they tell me if they supply towels, and do they allow you to use them on the beach. :?: TIA

Neil
What is eating out like in Kerala? I have been to Goa a couple of times and absolutly love the food there, I get the feeling that Kerala would not have nearly as much choice, I like to eat indian most nights but there are usually a couple of nights on holiday that I like a good steak, would I get steak in kerala?
It is mostly fish but you can get other things as well, you will be able to get steak. I can recommend Spice Village at the lighthouse end of the beach on the back street for variety of food. They do very good Mexican food as well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.