Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Thanks Brenliz look forward to your review-Have a Great holiday!!
Hi Mrfrostie, sorry to say we have received the following email today:

We were supposed to be going here on 7 December for 3 weeks but have received this email today:

"Unfortunately Manos have cancelled their contract with the Golden Sands
hotel in Kerala that you were booked into. They are unable to tell us why
but they say it could possibly be due to health and safety reasons or it
could be the hotelier who has cancelled the contract. They are offering you
the Jasmine Palace as an alternative and a superior room. There is also
availability at the Abad Palmshore Beach Resort and the Kadaloram Beach
Resort which you could probably amend to if you prefered. (There is a third
hotel available but Elizabeth says its not really suitable).

I have been speaking to the manager from the
Operations Department at Manos this morning and he is refusing to pay
compensation. I am waiting for an email from him stating the reasons why he
won't honour compensation so I will forward it onto you as soon as I receive
it because I think Elizabeth is going to take it up with Trading Standards.
As per booking conditions the compensation for a major change 21 - 28 days
prior to departure is £30 per person."

I have already been in touch with Trading Standards re compensation as I do not agree with their comments.

I understand First Choice are still going there. We were booked with Manos.

We are now staying In Jasmine Palace for 3 weeks from 8 December so we look forward to meeting up with anyone else who is staying there.

You will recognise me as i have broken my ring finger on my right hand and have a splint on it for the next 8 weeks - very inconvenient but i am sure it will not stop me eating and drinking!

Hope we can meet up with you for a drink (or two).

Hope you have a great time Mrfrostie.

Brenda & Liz

*Admin edit to remove persons name and telephone number -Glynis*
Oh my Gawd here we go!!- TROUBLE- we have booked with Thomas Cook but dont travel till the 10th January so I dont think our paths cross in Kerela
however we do fly with My Travel which is part of the Manos group (airtours)-
good luck with the compensation thing although an upgrade would suit us too!
keep us posted we like a drama...
Dave & Mark
Will deninately keep you informed - best of luck. Have a great time.
Hi, we did a Neyyar Trek a few years back. We went trekking (or frog-marching more like) in the rainforest for around 5 hours stopping for lunch at a waterfall. We then spent the night in a wooden 'lodge' on a plateau overlooking the dam. Listening to the lions roar and watching the sun go down over the Western Ghats was amazing, and just as good was the sun coming up in the morning.

Our only criticism was that the trek was like a frog-march. No stopping to look at anything, no time to take in the surroundings but it was excellent and we would definitely do it again.

We crossed a couple of streams and rivers and the rocks were quite slippy so I would recommend good sturdy footwear. I would also recommend taking a second pair in a rucksack if you are stopping overnight so you don't have sloppy feet!

It was a great experience.
Thanks for the info. We will let you know how we get on.
I am going to Kovalam on 8th February for two weeks. Can anyone who has been there answer a few queries for me please as it is my first time in kerala (been to Goa twice).

1. What are the best restaurants in Kovalam and also in Trivandrum

2. What is the best beach in Kovalam (leats crowded but with sun beds if
possible)

3. I usually book to visit local sights by hiring a taxi rathe rthan orgnaised
tours. Quite fancy Neyyar Dam and a lookat the lion sanctuary. Is it
posisble to drive through the sanctuary on a tour jeep and are we likely
to see any lions?

4. Are Varkala & Poovar worth a visit ?

5. Are there any good shops in Trivandrum selling off the peg clothes?

Wil be most grateful for any info you can give me!!!
Hi, we did a Neyyar Trek a few years back. We went trekking (or frog-marching more like) in the rainforest for around 5 hours stopping for lunch at a waterfall. We then spent the night in a wooden 'lodge' on a plateau overlooking the dam. Listening to the lions roar and watching the sun go down over the Western Ghats was amazing, and just as good was the sun coming up in the morning.

In the morning we went on a lion safari on a jeep with no windows and pulled up right next to a lion! It is enclosed by high fences (think Jurassic Park) and there was a metal fence to separate them if necessary - to separate them from each other not from the humans! One of them had attacked another so it was behind the metal fence but the others were just wandering around and as interested in us as we were in them. An awesome experience.

Our only criticism was that the trek was like a frog-march. No stopping to look at anything, no time to take in the surroundings but it was excellent and we would definitely do it again.

We crossed a couple of streams and rivers and the rocks were quite slippy so I would recommend good sturdy footwear. I would also recommend taking a second pair in a rucksack if you are stopping overnight so you don't have sloppy feet! Also, a dry-sack for your wallet and passport is a good idea. We had to show passports so they could take a note of them, probably in case we were eaten...

We went to Varkala too and loved it. It was very quiet and hardly any beach hawkers. Not sure if it has changed over the few years but it was definitely worth the visit when we went. There was a Tibetan refugee camp and market which was great too.

Hope that helps :D
Thanks Blondepuff - that's really useful.
Hi there DAS,
I went to Varkala in 1999, staying there for over a week (out of a 6 month India trip. Varkala is gorgeous, really laid back, with lovely places to eat, it just has a really nice vibe if you just want to chill out.
While I love Goa dearly, the last time I was in the North (Candolim) last January I did not find it relaxing as in my opinion it was turning too much 'Red Lion'. Even past the Chapora river at Morjim was making roads into development. I've been going to Goa every year since 2001.

I'm hoping to pick up a deal to go to Kerala in February. How affected is Kerala by tourists? I like things quiet and hate 'big screens', football, too much lager. Love good food, photography, eastern music and chilling out.

Can anyone give me advice where to go and where to avoid in Kerala?

Thanks
Chris,

How busy are the 'package tour' areas in Kerala. I don't like Calanagute and Candolim is now getting busy also, have been to all coastal areas of Goa, North and South.

Might take a late package 'deal' in Feb just to get out there. Myself and partner can cope with the quiet life and don't necessarily need to make new friends and party it up.

Any more info?
As far as i'm aware, the only charters from the UK go from Gatwick to Trivandrum?
I went on an independent trip following the cricket round India last Spring, but stayed at Kovalam for the last week. It was late in the season, but there were plenty of Brits on charters, but it wasn't overcrowded.
Kovalam beach has nearly everything that Calangute has but on a smaller scale. Great restaurants, decent shopping, but it's about 5 years behind in development..
There are a few close beaches that are much emptier, like the very north of Goa.

You can get to Trivandrum from Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow or London via Dubai on Emirates, then grab a cheap taxi and book the hotels online before you go....or just make the taxi drive you to a few places and check them out. It's cheap and they'll do it gladly. Barter with the hotels.

You can also get to Cochin on the same route via Dubai.....so a good idea is to fly into Cochin, see that , travel across Kerala then fly home from Trivandrum. Every hotel will be eager to book you a trip across state, stopping at Allepey for a few nights backwater boat trip, and a trip up to the hillstations to see the old British retreats and tea plantations, ending up at a beach for a bit of sunbathing. It's very easy and you can pack so much more in for a great internal package price...but the flights will be about £450 each return on scheduled.

Otherwise, just book the cheapest package trip and just arrange a few tours away for a few days.
Have a peek at my reply plus a few others on TA for 14 October. Just a small correction Chriss. Kerala is not predominantly Muslim. I think the Hindus would be very upset to hear this as they are in the majority in Kerala! Definitely over 50%. Muslims make up just over 20% and Christians just under that. Plus there are many other religions represented there; e.g. Budhists, jains.

Happy hols. to all and a happy new year!
Hi and Happy New Year to you all.
we are going to Kerala in March, love
Goa,but have just returned home after
3 weeks so thought to give Kerala a try
this time,staying at the Uday Samudra
hope its as good as some of the reports.
what can we expect to to pay a taxi from
the airport,thought £40 was a bit over the
top with the tour operater:: so making our
own way,thanks for any information.
ann& john
booked for kerala 1st march for 2 weeks,just home from goa
after 3weeks split between north and south,love them both,so
trying kerala and hoping for the same majic
ann
aarond - £40 what a rip-off!! Expect to pay approx 300 from Trivandrum Airport to Kovalam. The journey should only take about 15 minutes. There will be a prepaid taxi desk just before you get outside the airport.
Indianaj
thanks for that information,so glad we did not include
the £40 transfer in our final costing,after being in goa
we thought it was a bit over the top,2 weeks in the
Ugay Samudra for [ 2] £965 Thomas Cook a lot less than
some of the other operaters.think we did O.K
Thanks again
ann
Ann - Welcome! Hope you enjoy Kerala.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.