Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hiya Cajd,

Last year me and fella went to the Sunrise Royal Makadi Bay, which is only a little bit out of Hurghada. It was stunning and would recommend it to anyone - although outside the resort is sand, sand and more sand. From what I could see there were a fair few activities to take part in but the evening entertainment wasn't really up to much. The location to me wasn't a problem, because the resort is so big you didn't really need to go anywhere!

The town of Hurghada isn't really worth bothering with, the usual touristy shops and people wanting you to go into their shops and "sign their guestbook!", but I suppose you get that everywhere.
We have just returned from two weeks in hurgada, )got home at 12 today) I have to say that it was nothing like i imagned. We stayed at the titanic resort and aqua park, and while the hotel was great (particularly the aqua park) , pretty much everything outside it was grim to say the least.
Everytime we stepped outside the hotel we were seized upon by very persistant hawkers trying to sell us tat which we had no interest in whatsoever. This happened constantly, and really unnerved us.
Hurghada town was awful, not a good experience. We went in twice, and each time the taxi/bus driver tried to rip us off even when the price had been fixed.
I will be posting a review of the hotel on trip advisor, and a resort review on this site.
Have to say we were ready to come home after a week, and felt trapped in our hotel a lot of the time.
I'm truely amazed at the attraction of this place for some people, as some people
seem to go back again and again.
unless you're in to snorkelling or diving, i have no idea what the attraction would be.
suffice to say we wont be going back.
Totally agree with suncatcher. We went two years ago and stayed at the Hilton Hurghada Plaza. Hotel not fantastic but we likened the town to Beruit without the bombs. Our hotel was close enough to the town to walk in but didn't feel comfortable doing so. We are very used to haggling and the banter with the shops and bazars in Turkey but def wouldn't go to Hurghada again. Have done Reef Oasis Blue Bay 3 times now and absolutely love it.
I will be posting a review of the hotel on trip advisor

Suncatcher WHY not here on HT :que you would be the first to review the hotel on here and it would be very much appreciated http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/egypt/sinai-penninsula-and-red-sea/hurghada/titanic-resort--and-aquapark/&%20Aquapark%20/

Cheers
Graham
I agree completely with the above couple of posts - I think thats why staying in Makadi Bay would be a good idea, although with a 15 year old who wants lots of things to do maybe this wouldn't be ideal.

I only went to Hurghada twice, and once was on an awful "shop and rock" trip with Thomas Cook and the other time we went to the Harbour to go on a boat trip. The harbour was actually beautiful, I think it was only built a couple of years ago and I have never seen water so blue.

The outskirts of Hurghada are awful - you see the hotels where they ran out of money before they finished building it, and you see families sleeping in the shells of them, with no walls or floors or anything. Very sad. :( I think what people forget is that Hurghada is "up and coming" and a lot of people live in huge poverty - thus the nagging to go into the shops.

I think it would be worth a visit if you aren't bothered about people bothering you, there are lots of British things like Hard Rock Cafe, Ministry of Sound nightclub etc, but if I went to Hurghada again i'd find a resort which I would never have to leave!
so am i better sticking to sharm again i don't mind just thought i'd try somewhere different :think
been to a few areas in sharm just need hotel where a 15 year old won't be fed up :(
went to aqua blu sharm loved it but like to try different hotels so any suggetions welcome :tup
Sorry, cant help you with your choice of destination, as have never been to sharm. Hurghada was our first venture in to egypt. Sorry we didn't try Sharm now, as perhaps we may have come away with a better impression of egypt.
The thing that really stood out for me about Hurghada, was the lack of anything to do. Our daughter loved the pools and aqua park at our hotel,- good job as we spent 90 per cent of our time there,- but after a week even she was itching to get out and about and do some normal holiday stuff.
Every other package/beach holiday i've been on, we were able to stroll out to the resort, look around the shops have a coffee, beer etc at our leisure ,- you get the drift.
Could'nt do any of this in hurgada, as , there is no resort as such, just the centre of hurghada, which we really didn't like, and is not in any way conducive to relaxing.
Plenty of people go to hurghada, so each to their own i suppose. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Reviews of hotel and resort to follow. Will do them at the weekend when i have more time.
H cajad,

Ditto to what Tishtoshtess has said. We stayed at the Sunrise Royal Makadi Bay Hotel Aug 08 and 09 and would have no hesitation in returning again. The hotel is laid out more like a village with several pools to choose from. It is situated directly on it's own stretch of beach, along with many water sports and boats trips available. Our son was 14 the first time we visited Makadi Bay and he was kept amused with the water sports and pools. The hotel is moreorless 24 hour all inclusive (apart from 2-6am) and has 2 buffet restaurants and 3 a la carte restaurants (all of which are very good) It is the first all inclusive that we have been to in Egypt that was truely all inclusive with no restrictions on anything.Makadi Bay is mainly 5* resorts and is quite exclusive in comparison to Hurghada itself. We have also been to Sharm 3 times, and I would definately choose Makadi Bay over Sharm ....... but that is just my opinion.

Regards,
Pat
We stayed in the steigenberger club hotel Hurghada and had a great time. We went into the town a few times too, and had drinks in the bars around the marina. We thoroughly enjoyed Hurghada :tup
We did venture into Hurghada a few times in the evenings. We also went to the Marina, and had a lovely meal at the White Elephant restaurant, which was very reasonably priced. Also went to the Hard Rock Cafe a couple of times. Food was very good and cheap in comparison to what we pay in London, but drinks were expensive.

Pat
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.