America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi Mark tried that link couldn't get any thing ? I'm running on Garmin, got our Hotel address from there web site, at the worst we can get to the Hotel from the air port and back to the Hotel at night and from the road names on the maps I can very close to were we want to go so we will never get lost even if we don't know were we are , if you know what I mean :rofl but its all part of the Hols. :tup

Alan
I don't know the workings of a Garmin SatNav system. The links provided should work for a TomTom navigator though.

I agree, getting a little lost whilst on holiday is all part and parcel of it ;)

Mark :)
Hi Mark, i have tried the two sites you sujested but i cant seem to open the pages, do you need to download a program to make them run? or am i just doing something wrong?
Glad I'm not alone, couldn't open it either :think

Alan
My bad. I found them on Google but didn't check whether the ZIP files were accessible, which they're incidentally are not.

Apologies for that.

Will have another Google later today.

Mark :)
Hi, I'm taking the family to orlando in September 08, and plan to take my tomtom sat nav with me. Can anybody help me by a list of zip codes for the main attractions and points of interest. I have been searching the net but as yet cant find a helpfull sites at all, any help would be great.
I don't understand...why do you need zip codes? Maybe the TomTom here in the US works differently than in the UK, but my TomTom does not require me to enter a zip code to navigate to an address. Also, there is an option to get directions to a "Point of Interest", which can be near you, near a city enter, near a recent destination, or near another destination. Again, no zip code is required and it's likely that a lot of the places you would be going to would be stored in the TomTom's "Point of Interest" category already.
Many thanks for your reply, and yes you are probably correct about not needing zip codes. I have only had my tomtom for a couple of months and still getting used to using it. The Uk tomtom does have the "points of interest" function on it, but i have not used that function yet, It's something i will have a go at using next ( i have only used the post code and number and address searches up to now ). Once again many thanks for your reply, it was very usefull. :)
Dont you have to buy the maps or infomation for USA on a disc or card? I know we have done this for Europe and used our own. For the states we hired their sat nav.
Yes, you have to buy and download the maps to your tomtom. The Southeast Region of the USA costs £29.95 from tomtom, which i don't think is to bad, and well worth it if it means you dont get lost over there and get from A to B without any hassle.

How did you go on with the sat nav you hired? And how did you search for your destinations, by post codes, by road names, by points of interest or by other means?

I have been to Orlando before, but that was nearly 18 years ago. As i remember most places are easy enough to find by map but we did get lost a few times and ended up in run down, dodgy looking areas a couple of times, a little frightening. I just hoped sat nav would make it so much easier, especialy when the road signs are right on the junction you need to turn off on.
Have just got the map for our tom tom one. The POI show all the Theme parks, restaurants etc.
The sat nav we hired was great. Because they are used so often, everything is just stored in the memory. All points of interest we just entered the name. If we wanted a chemist we just entered chemist and it came up with a list of the nearest ones. Same with the eating places.

I would not go without hiring one again.
Thanks laudan, you have put my mind at rest now, i will download the map myself now.

Also thanks to wendywu, i will stick to taking my own tomtom now but thanks for your reply, if i have a problem with mine at least i know i can pop back to the car hire centre and hire one.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.