27 independent reviews of the Windmills Hotel & Apartments
Address: Protaras, Paralimni, Cyprus
Windmills Hotel & Apartments
Windmills Hotel & Apartments Location
Ranked #8 of 10 hotels in Pernera

Windmills Hotel & Apartments Windmills Hotel & Apartments is rated 3.37 out of 5 from 27 Reviews

Windmills Hotel & Apartments Reviews

"very disappointed"
craig had a holiday at Windmills Hotel & Apartments in June 2013
Very disappointed with this hotel we stayed in. We arrived to no help just given directions to our room. Got into the room and it was dirty the cot for our baby was black, the furniture was well worn and had stains all over it. There were ants in the kitchen and bathroom. Two lizards were on the wall in the living room area. The bathroom had no plug to bath our 6 month old baby. Front door was broken and repaired with sellotape. Dishes were dirty and stained and had hardly any facilities to use. Nasty smell in the kitchen area like bad drains. Maids left are patio door open twice on the ground floor were we had no safe in. Staff were no help at all, bar staff were rude. Air conditioning was 18euros a day and ...
50 euros to keep the room on as we were told by one member of staff and 30 euros by another. We didn't feel safe. Bedding and towels were changed once throughout the week. Never again would we stay there.

Tour Operator: jet2

Recommended: No

"Not good"
Rod Punter had a holiday at Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera in October 2011
We arrived at the Windmill Hotel around midnight, the night porter was an Englishman who didn't really seemed all that pleased to see us. We were directed to our rooms and had to drag our luggage up three flights of stairs, there are no elevators and there was not even a suggestion of any assistance, OK for us though no good for the less abled bodied or elderly.

When we entered the rooms I had the immediate impression the hotel was well passed its sell by date, the rooms were fairly clean although all the furniture and fittings were well worn and sometimes broken, for example the rim of the toilet was cracked and temporarily repaired with sticky tape, a hinge in the wardrobe was damaged so it obstructed the bottom drawer.

There was very little kitchen equipment, and what ...
was there was very old, cheap and scruffy, there was no microwave and no toaster, something I had never experienced before in any self-catering apartment. To make a cup of tea involved putting a cheap rusty old kettle on an old gas burner which stood loosely on the cracked work surface.

The cleaners came in fairly regularly and did a good enough job and they even managed a grunt when I said good morning to them, which is more than you can say for the reception staff. Despite my negativity about this place, the holiday was a cheap and very cheerful one, the hotel room only being used to shower and sleep in and for these purposes were more than adequate.

The hotel incorporated a very clean looking restaurant which was for guests and passers-by, we never ate there because directly opposite were a couple of establishments named Kokos and Knights, both these places served excellent food and were cheaper than the hotel.

The swimming pool area was fairly good, as was the bar area, although the bar was very noisy so an early night is more or less out of the question.

The real shock was the reception wanted 50 euros for us to keep a room on for a few extra hours on the day of departure; we declined this and opted to use the manky shower by the pool before departing.

The hotel is not in Protaras, it is in Pernara, which is 1 euro on the bus or 8 euros in a taxi distant. The taxi drivers were very unfriendly, once in the car they spend the whole journey moaning about tourists and the cost of living.

Recommended: No

anita + jamie visited the Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera, Cyprus in June 2009
the towels and bedding were changed frequently. Anything you wanted was within walking distance. the hotel staff especially Honza Emily and Emma were great they went the extra mile for eveyone. Entertainment was daily at no extra cost where else would you see Robbie Williams Elvis Freddie Mercury Abba The blues Brothers and Gorge Michael in 2 weeks for free. the bar prices were resonable not like some bars which put the prices up when acts were on

Tour Operator: travel republic

Marie visited the Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera in September 2008
Me and my fiance have stayed at windmills before and this was our 3rd time. I can honestly say i absolutely love it and would go back year after year. The apartments are immaculate,the staff are bar staff are superb,especially fish who goes out of his way to help you and make you feel welcome. A lot of people have complained that they can hear the entertainment from their rooms but personally i don\'t go on holiday to spend evenings in my apartment,i go to have a good time and enjoy myself and windmills helps me do just that. Me and my fiance are going to book up again for next year.

burnham stayed at Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera in September 2007
just returned on 22nd sept from windmills apts.i had been a little worried after reading some reviews but i can honestly say we had a great time.apts were a bit dated to say the least but were really clean. bedding and towels changed every other day and apt cleaned every day. noise wasnt a problem as we were in block 8 opposite the pool bedroom at the rear so no problem. didnt have to pay for air-conditioning which surprised us! staff were great especially fish steve and the lovely josie! entertainment wasnt too bad ive seen worse! all in all we had a great time and would go back to pernera/protaras but maybe not to the windmills as we like to vary our hotels but would use bar etc
again.

Lorraine visited the Windmills Hotel & Apartments in September 2006
My friend and I booked this as a late deal, a week before we travelled. After reading some of the reviews here, I was a little nervous, particularly as it was my first trip to Cyprus.

We had a one bedroom apartment and whilst the furniture could do with updating, it was perfectly usable and spotlessly clean which is the most important thing. Whenever I go self catering, the only equipment I ever use is the fridge so the kitchen area was more than enough for me.

We tried to do without air conditioning had to go to reception at 1am on the first night because it was unbearably hot. My bed was extremely comfortable and with the air conditioning, managed to sleep soundly each night (unusual for me!).

My only negative would be the noise from the bar. We were in ...
block 1 behind reception and there was nightly entertainment starting at 10pm. The noise was far too loud from where we were (we struggled to have a conversation on our balcony) so who knows what it was like actually in the bar. At the end of the day, it didn\'t really affect our holiday as we learned to ignore the noise but I\'m sure the staff would have moved us if we\'d complained.

All in all, the accomodation is very basic but I don\'t go on holiday to spend all my time indoors. It was perfect for somewhere to shower and sleep and is near enough to the beach and local bars and restaurants. I\'d stay here again.

Tour Operator: Libra

Rick Bywater stayed at Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera, Cyprus in September 2006
A group of 4 of us went on holiday and returned home yesterday (2 couples). I am writing this whilst it is fresh in my mind, and I don\'t forget any of the brilliant time that we had at Windmills.

A couple of months before we went away, we all read various reviews about Windmills, Protaras and Cyprus on the internet, and frankly the 2 females of the group were worried about what had been written. Well I can assure you all here and now that our experience at Windmills was nothing like the majority of the reviews - it was brilliant! We are all in our 20\'s (some of us late 20\'s) and the apartment, complex, entertainment, resort and whole holiday was excellent.

Some people seem to bang on about how the rooms aren\'t good enough to self cater ...
in (very true - only 3 plates, cups, and a gas hob (and nothing to light it with!)) but that didn\'t matter because we went away to relax and not to cook. If you want to self cater, than don\'t go here, but if you want to enjoy every minute, have a laugh with the staff and remember the experience for the rest of your life then do.

Take my word for it, you won\'t regret it. I have even taken the time to write this, when usually people only write them when they hated the experience. So it must be good!

Tour Operator: First Choice

sinead yildirim visited the Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera in July 2006
If you like self-catering apartments full of ants, no means of cooking as there were hardly any utensils, like to get to sleep after 2am when DJ finally shuts up, drab furniture then the Windmills is definitely for you.

The staff very unfriendly, the cleaner was the nicest and she couldn\'t speak English, although she smiled at least.

We booked with our children and my parents and aunties to stay in Windmills apartments.

Upon arriving we were told which block to go to, unfortunately no-one was willing to help find the apartments so spend ages looking for our apartment.

The apartments are in dire need of up-dating. It was ok, but if you need to cook, which we did, then you've no chance. There are two gas rings and that is it. There is hardly any cutlery at all and there are ants running ...
all over the surfaces. The fridges don't work very well and the freezer did not work at all.

There were two air-conditioning units. The old one in the bedroom can be used freely if you take a fuse with you - save you

Tour Operator: travel republic

laura and kenny had a holiday at Windmills Hotel & Apartments in April 2006
This was our third stay at the Windmills and one of the best!

The apartments are dated but are clean and have what you need in them.

The pool is also clean and very nice but gets busy in high season. There are loads of beaches though if youre stuck! There is one acout 5 mins walk away and the famous Fig Tree Bay is

Tour Operator: libra

Gillian and Paul had a holiday at Windmills Hotel & Apartments in September 2005
We stayed at the Windmills Apartments on our week long trip to Protaras. On arrival at the apartments, we were very pleased at the size of our apartment. Large bedroom with ample storage space, dressing table and sockets, the lounge was large with two sofas and 3 bar stools.

Fridge freezer, gas cooking rings and plenty of utensils, plates, glasses and cups. You pay for the air conditioning upon arrival and there are two units in the apartment. We only required one unit. The brochure clearly states that the air conditioning is payable locally.

Our apartment was on the 3rd floor with our balcony overlooking the reception exit and the bar with excellent views over the main area of Protaras.

We found the apartments very clean absolutely no bugs at all which in ...
90 degree heat is very impressive staff very friendly and helpful and the apartments were located in a central area of Protaras within easy walking distance of numerous beautiful restaurants and friendly pubs.

Our stay within Windmills was excellent and would recommend this to anyone. We had an amazing holiday and would definitely return. So much so we re-booked the day after returning home!

Tour Operator: Libra Holidays

Kathleen & Steven McRobbie visited the Windmills Hotel & Apartments in September 2005
We arrived at hotel around 9.30pm, quickly booked in and told about the facilies. We were given our key and had general directions to our apartment which was in block 10, we were left wondering about the street like lost sheep trying to find our accommodation, 3 other couples had the same problem.

The apartment was clean but very basic, especially the kitchen. The kitchenette comprised of a fridge, a two ring gas cooker that just sat on the top of a kitchen unit, some crockery and cutlery.

The frying pan was totally unusable. We at least expected a grill/toaster, very bad for \"A\" catagory. The furniture was grubby, so much so that I didn\'t dare look at the mattresses, the beds were also extremely uncomfortable.

The balcony was spacious with a table and 4 chairs, the airconditioning that we ...
had to pay for, dripped water onto the balcony tiles which left a rather disgusting black trail to the drain.

We also had tiny ants running on the balcony and on the breakfast bar in the kitchentte.

The hotel had entertainment every night which went on until 2ish and we felt it was being held in our apartment, there just didn\'t seem to be anywhere near that hotel where you could enjoy some peace.
Even the barman at the poolside had to play his dance music at full volumne, all day.

The beach is lovely and we spent a lot of time there. Pernera is lovely, this was our second visit but no way would I ever stay in the Windmills again.

Roy & Chelsea stayed at Windmills Hotel & Apartments in September 2005
We stayed in Windmills Apartments in the first 2 weeks of September.

We found the hotel clean but extremely basic for an A class self catering accommodation with only 2 small gas rings. This did not bother us though as we ate out everyday.

Our apartment was advertised to sleep up to 4 adults. However, we only had enough cutlery for 3 people (the knives were beginning to rust) and most of the drinking glasses were chipped.

The apartment overall was in dire need of a refurbishment - the kitchen cupboards, work-tops and sofa beds looked grimey.

The location of Windmills was great. A variety of bars and restaurants were within walking distance and there were also a small selection of souvenir shops.

There was entertainment every night at the hotel in the form of Robbie, Elvis & Kylie. This was followed by ...
karaoke.

Overall it was a fantastic holiday but if you intend to cook in your apartment then don\'t go to Windmills.

jenny visited the Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera in August 2005
It was our first holiday away since we

H and Bex visited the Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera in August 2005
I read a lot of the reviews of Windmills prior to going and was apprehensive to say the least. I thought we had a 50/50 chance of enjoying it based on the reviews! My girlfriend and I were trying to figure out why they would vary so much, and once we got out there, we realised why.

The Windmills Resort is very clean, the staff are friendly, it has everything you need with regards to amenities, but your enjoyment of it will be determined by what you think \"self catering\" means. On all the holidays I\'ve ever been on, Self-catering has meant that you probably have a fridge, some drink water and maybe a kettle, but not a lot else! So when I saw that was pretty much all we had, I wasn\'t that shocked. Neither my girlfriend nor myself went ...
to Cyprus with the intention of practising our cookery skills, so it wasn\'t a problem. We just needed somewhere to store milk and cereal, cos the rest of time we ate out anyway. If you\'re expectation of self catering are different to ours, then Windmills is definately not the place for you!

We didn\'t leave a tip for the cleaners because on one of the days our room wasn\'t cleaned for some reason, and also we had to go and ask for fresh towels which was a bit annoying. Pool area was fine if that\'s where you want to be all day, there was food available, but there were loads of restaurants around to try anyway, you wouldn\'t want to eat in the Hotel.

All in all, not a bad base from which to have a holiday as long as your expectations aren\'t too luxurious, and Cyprus is such a fantastic place anyway, you probably won\'t care.

Tour Operator: Thomas Cook

Tracy, Hazel & Jo had a holiday at Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera, Cyprus in July 2005
We arrived expecting to see lots of cockroaches running round the room and bare wires etc, but were pleaseantly surprised by how clean it was. The kitchen was very basic, only 2 gas rings, a small fridge freezer - no toaster, but we managed with cereal, or the breakfasts downstairs in the Windmills restaurant.

It was very hot so immediately made sure we had Air Conditioning. There were 2 units in our apartment, one in the bedroom and the other in the front room / kitchen, we had to pay for both units and for the week it cost

Sandra stayed at Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera, Cyprus in June 2005
Just returned from a seven day self catering holiday at the Windmills hotel in Pernera. Could not wait to get home to make this report and warn others of this disgusting accomodation.

You enter through a spacious palacial reception which is spotless. Then you get to your appartment which is dirty, broken down, and very, very bare and very noisy. There is one double bedroom with twin beds and two bed-settee units in the lounge which are disgustingly filthy.

Our two young children had to sleep with us in our beds.We complained to the management but were told that they had no alternatiive accomodation to offer us.The dirtiest place we have ever stayed at.We are complaining to our travel agent about this so called A class accomodation.

Be sure you book elseware.

Tour Operator: Libra

mike had a holiday at Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera, Cyprus in June 2005
First impressions were not favourable at all.
We had asked for adjoining rooms so we could look after our 2 grandaughters whilst mum & dad went out in the evening,we were in block 1 ground floor my daughter was in block 5 2nd floor? Hardly adjoining.

The accomodation was to say the least drab,old,grubby and in a run down condition through out the complex.
doors were sticking,drawers fell out of the runners.

Live electric wires coming out of the walls,holes in the walls where sockets had been,lights and sockets not working at all, beds with sunken stained mattresses
not to mention the cockroaches.

The receptionist did not really know what all the fuss was about when I informed her of their existance in our apartment.

We complained straight away and were moved to newer and better apartments, but later we saw new arrivals put into the same ...
rooms we had complained about earlier that day, they could not have fixed anything.

A young couple had their money, jewellery stolen the same morning they had checked in, everything was locked whilst they went out for a short while, the police were called but I don`t know what happened then.

The noise from the bar area was absolutely dreadful and we were at the back of the complex and it was as if it was in our room, it went on every night until around 1.30 am then it was quite until the bin men arrived at 4.30 am.

I would like to warn anyone who is thinking of booking this apartment complex to consider Butlins in the outer hebrides rather than this hell hole.

A friend informed me of this website, I wished they had told me before we booked this lame excuse for a holiday apartment complex.

Obviously we will never be returning to this dump again, although we were asked to sign the comments book we declined as I felt I could not even bring myself to touch what is a very misleading piece of garbage as soon of the comments were full of praise for the rooms etc, I cannot believe they were genuine holiday makers comments after staying here

Tour Operator: 1st choice (libra)

M&G stayed at Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera, Cyprus in June 2005
Filthy,grimey,old-fashioned,noisey,ill-equiped,third rate entertainment
just dont go there you will regret it.

Tour Operator: First Choice

denis stayed at Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera, Cyprus in May 2005
Listed as \'A\' class apartments. Very basic accomodation resonably clean but untidy and ill maintained due to lack of routine maintenance by owners - fridge very dirty, cupboard doors hanging loose on hinges, cracked and damaged ceramic floor tiles-could be nasty if not wearing footware. Self catering facilities very poor,basicaly a two ring gas hob(which is insecure) + cups plates and cutlery.

Tour Operator: libra

Jill and Barry had a holiday at Windmills Hotel & Apartments, Pernera, Cyprus in May 2005
We arrived at 5am and after a brief check-in were given the key to our appartment.First and lasting impesssion was just how basic and drab the appartment was, it looked and was very untidy with only minimal self catering facilities.

Bedroom was O.K. with twin beds,ample wardrobe space and with an open balcony off. In the lounge there is a coffee table and two settee\'s which make up for extra beds but these were very drab and dirty looking more like dogs beds.

The kitchen area is a bar counter at the end of the lounge and consists of sink unit, fridge, gas ring unit, kettle, plates, cups, saucers, a saucpan and frypan plus a smoke alarm and fire blanket.

Basically I have had more and better facilities on a caravan holiday back home. The Bathroom is probably the best ...
room in the appartment with over bath shower.

In summary the appartment and its facilities are overdue for re-furbishment. The appartment does have air condition units installed but to use these you have to pay an extra

Tour Operator: Olympic