Fuerteventura Princess Hotel

9 of 16 hotels in Jandia

4 out of 5 from 29 reviews
Gran canaria, 13 ( Urb. Butihondo ), 35625 PÁJARA (FUERTEVENTURA), Spain
Blissful views, four swimming pools, immerse yourself in peace and quiet. If you want to escape the world, then this is the place to come.

29 Reviews

• Good

• Entertainment
  • Food
  • Location
Adrian Jones
dont bother
4 years ago
This was our fourth visit to this hotel over a period of ten years (and will be our last).

Last awards given to this hotel by Thompson 2006 guess that's when it lost the platinum status.

Check in was at about 22:00 three members of staff at reception desk one doing nothing, one talking with a Spanish guest, one on the telephone. We waited patiently for ten minutes before the first couple in the queue were called forward. Then up to the desk walk three people who turned out to be German the couple called forward for check in were left so the receptionist could deal with the Germans one couple then a separate transaction with the third German. We were second in line to book in and the process took an unbelievable 35 minutes. And when we had booked in the one receptionist was still talking to the Spaniard and the other still on the phone. Unbelievable!

A cold buffet was laid on for our arrival this consisted of cold pizza and cold spaghetti

The room has seen better days, bath needs replacing, beds hard, and we had an infestation of very small ants. Air extractor in the bath room was running but nothing being extracted?

Also bed linen not so good it was changed regularly but sheets and pillow cases were stained

Food in the main restaurant was of a poor standard, mostly barely warm.

We had Chicken served up from the carvery which was pink and juice's still coloured

Clearly uncooked

Steak slice when cut running with blood

Meat balls cooked on the outside raw in the middle

Chicken Curry with no hint of curry

Chilli con carnie but with no chilli

You did have a choice of how the bacon was cooked Main restaurant floating in a sea of oil or the La Choza restaurant where it was deep fried to a cinder and it snapped in your hand.

There were a variety of vegetables but no thought seems to be given as to what you want with the meats offered.

The main restaurant has a dress code No shorts and long sleeve shirts for men. It is displayed at the entrance quiet clearly.

This was not enforced when I asked the restaurant manager his reaction was well what can we do. (Maybe enforce your own rules!)

The numbers of waiters seem to have been cut back on this visit most seemed over stretched and as a result were rushing around but with little regard for the people paying their wages.(namely Guests) almost to the point of being rude.

There is a piano bar at the hotel and four times it was advertising a pianist who did not turn up.
I did ask at the reception on one occasion and was told that he had telephoned to say he was not bothering to turn up, yet still being advertised.
Sunbeds o dear what a very poor state they were in, and so many towels taking in the sun despite the fact it clearly says reservation in not permitted.
All of these comments were passed to the Thompson rep who offered us a meal out then a two hundred pound discount voucher which we declined as we will not be using Thompson again to be able to use them. We filled in a formal complaint form which said you will not be informed of findings. How can this be? Are you not supposed to know what happens after you complain?
This Hotel is rated for star it needs to be reassed as in my view it is at most now three stars.
Well these are my true thoughts and I hope it helps you to decide to give this hotel a miss don't waste your money, as we did.
7 years 2 months ago

Enforced change of booking meant we only had the Fuerteventura Princess available to us. Myself, husband and 3 teenage girls (15,15, 19) travelled with Thomson with Thomas Cook flight so no entertainment at all going but offer of PSP for

Valerie
8 years 6 months ago
First visist to this hotel. The first impression it seemed like a maze finding our room. But after a couple of days it was OK. Room was comfortable, but if you can squeeze a pillow in your case do! as hotel pillows are not the softest I've slept on. Floor (stone) can be pretty cold this time of the year so take your slippers. Would have been nice to have tea/coffee making facillities or at least hire them and bathrobes. TV is only Sky News. Depending where you are situated it can be an uphill walk to the restaraunt. Bit disappointed in the food, thought with being a Platinum Hotel it would have been more adventurous, it was often cold and seemed to be much of the same each day. The staff were all great and most helpful. Daytime activies were good, but it's up to you to have a go. I tried the archery, bit harder than it looks, I wouldn't make a Robin Hood, but with a patient instuctor I managed to get a few arrows in the target and it was enjoyable. Wasn't too impressed with the night time entertainment. If you like to walk, then you can walk along the beach to the shopping centre about an hour or less, depending on your speed. The only draw back is when the tide's in, you might manage it scrambling on the rocks, but I wouldn't recommend it. Beach was nice and clean, and enough of it when the tide is out. All in all quite enjoyed it, weather was great, but you do need something warm for morning and night as it was quite cool. Don't think I would go again, mainly a bit too isolated for my taste and if the weather hadn't been as good as it was to get out and about would have a too isolated.

8 years 6 months ago
We have just returned from our first stay in Fuerteventura - infact it was our first Winter break in the sun as we usually go somewhere snowy and cold!

The Fuerteventura Princess proved to be an excellent choice for us. The entrance area is impressive and the small bungalow type rooms, set in fabulous gardens did not disappoint us. The 5 pools are stunning (though somewhat cold mid February!) but the main selling point for us was the stunning beach beneath the hotel! Simply magical!
It reminded us of a Bounty advert and at times it felt more like the caribbean ---- until the cold wind reminded us that it wasn't!

We walked in to Jandia once across the beach but there wasn't much to see and after a Platinum Island Tour with Thomson we didn't venture out much apart from going for long walks on the beach. To be honest, there isn't really alot to see on the island but for a winter break that was fine for us.

The hotel staff were very friendly and made us very wlecome. The food was a little 'dull' - nothing to write home about really - but there was a good choice. Our favourite location to dine was the lovely La Choza Restaurant where they serve a 'late risers breakfast' between 9 - 11am. Sitting in the sunshine beside the sea really set us up for the day. There were plenty of seats and we never felt like we had to rush to find one.

Similarly there was no need to save sunbeds - there are hundreds dotted everywhere. There are also dozens of little lounge areas around the hotel where you could have a quiet drink. Fair enough it was february and I do feel that it would be a different story during the busy Summer months and seating may then become limited.

We spent most nights in the quiet piano bar having a cocktail - to be honest the sea air knocked us out and we didn't have many late nights! Drinks were not too expensive when we compared them to other 4 star hotels we've stayed in at home and abroad - we paid about

Travel operator: Portland

Catherine Graham
8 years 8 months ago
We stayed in the Fuerteventura Princess over the Christmas period. The staff put on a wonderful meal and night for all the guests. The drink flowed all night and staff couldn't be more helpful. The standard of cleanliness in the hotel is excellent. This was our 3rd visit to the hotel. There could be a bigger variety of food, it did become very repetative over the 2 weeks. I have however felt that the standard of the rooms has slipped. I don't mean the cleanliness but the furniture is becoming a bit shabby looking. Could also do with some tea making facilities in the rooms. It is definately geared towards the German market but I personally did not find this a disadvantage. As far as the nudity goes its well advertised about the nudist beach and about the part of the hotel that is for naturists and if this bothers you, then don't go there!!

Travel operator: Thomsons

Nick
8 years 9 months ago
This was our second visit to the Fuerteventura Princess our first visit being about 7 years ago. The only differences we noticed were The Palm Lounge off reception where the palms were previously full grown and about 30ft tall, they have now been replaced by smaller plants The chairs in the Coco Loco Bar are still very comfortable but have had their rocking mechanism removed. Also the chocolates on pillows only arrived on a couple of nights and not every night as previous we did get a bottle of bubbly as returning guests
The room was as we expected very clean and comfortable the only problem being a noisy AC unit but as we didnt need this it wasn't a prblem.
The grounds and pools are still immaculate and well maintained. There was some sun bed hogging but this is not allowed by the hotel We never had problems finding beds but it could be a problem for larger parties or families with young children wanting the most suitable spots.
We found the food excellent loads of variety it could be a problem for those who consider sausage egg and chips an evening meal. We ate breakfast alfresco every morning at La Choza Restaurant that overlooks the beach they serve late breakfast from 9 but the Germans are out in force claiming the best tables well before 8.30 The bacon served here was better than a lot of hotels I Have stayed in in England.
We find the location ideal but for those who like to be straight out to bars and shops it will be a disappointment.
The hotel staff were very professional but because of the size of the it can be difficult to establish a close friendly relationship as some people like to do.
We rated the entertainment low as we did not participate Drinks and snacks can either be paid for in cash or credited to your room account.
The Rep was a big improvement on our previous visit, we didnt go on any excursions this time and didnt attend the welcome meeting.
The Hotel and resort are predominantly German
but we find this an advantage rather than disadvantage.
There was one problem, my wife is a mosquito magnet,we have been to Fuerteventura several times and the only place she has ever been bitten is this hotel. This could possibly be due to having ground floor rooms on both occasions. If we do return which is likely I would ask for an upper floor room.

Travel operator: Tui

The Adams Family
9 years 8 months ago
Having been on many times to the Princess Chain of hotels, this occasion was a different to the other visits. Our last visit to this hotel was just under 12 months ago things have changed for the worst.

Firstly the food, if you can call it that! Each evening seems to be a concoption of the previous day

Clayton Hier
10 years 7 months ago
The hotel is more like an apartment block with rooms spread all over the site away from the main block.

The hotel and staff are first class.

It is a little away from Jandia but a bus stops outside evey half hour for 1 euro.

Please make sure that you have no problem with mobility as this will not be the place for you.

The main problem I have is with the food, especially with the hot food, we found the meat from bacon to what could have been anything unedable. The veg. was rock hard and it was difficult to find anything to eat. There were many people walking around with plates of salad and I even saw some coming to the table with plates of chips only and they were cold. I took a straw pole of the Brits at the hotel and the general concensous was the same. The problem being that all the Jandia area has a 95% German clientel, which is no prob. but they are catered for much more than the Brits. and what they seem to like is not what I care to eat.

Another point is that there is no coffee making facilities in the rooms so if you like your morning cuppa don't forget your travel kettle or it is a hike to the restaurant.

Travel operator: thomson

Caroline
10 years 8 months ago

I was expecting great things from this hotel from reading the reviews, but everything was average.

Food - average. Reception staff - average. Entertainment - cheesy or appalling.

Hotel is stuck out on it's own. You need to catch a bus or hire a car to get to any shops/restaurants. They want you to stay within the complex for your whole stay.

OK for old people I guess who want to do nothing all day long, and GREAT if you love miserable old people who do nothing but complain and flash their appalling old bodies to the world.

Not for the feint hearted - a lot of nudists at this location.

I would not visit again.

Travel operator: Thompson

JJ Denton
11 years 3 months ago
My second time here, and absolutely nothing has changed... if anything, the hotel's actually improved, because although the daytime entertainment may not be quite as well-run, the evening entertainment cabaret shows were significantly better than last year's.

I won't waffle on too much as my last year's review is still available to see (please scroll down), but once again, I really cannot recommend this hotel enough. Absolutely wonderful!!!

Recommended

Looking to stay here? You can check the accommodation availability and get the best prices using the links below:

Welcome to Holiday Truths

Register to contribute in our forum, leave your holiday reviews and enjoy exclusive offers from your favourite travel brands.

By registering, you agree to us sending personalised emails offering holiday advice and travel deals from our travel partners. By clicking Continue, I agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Statement.