ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol

• Food
  • Location
Not for us.
6 months ago
We booked this hotel for a week to celebrate my husband's 75th birthday in April 2017.

I emailed the hotel to request a room on a high floor and they allocated us a room on the ninth floor in the building that was previously the Hotel Bella Playa. I was so pleased that they managed to honour our request because we had a lovely view and our room was ready on arrival.

Having just been refurbished, we were one of the first to stay in this room. The room itself had been refurbished to a high standard and the bathroom had a walk-in shower that occupied the length of the wall....and two sinks.
Each room also has a 4-6 code safe which you can use free of charge, with A/C in the room also free.

By combining two hotels, it has made it a large complex, situated in the Los Alamos district of Torremolinos. To get to Torremolinos centre, there are taxis available at end of street or use the local bus which stops on the opposite side of road of the main entrance or depending how fit you are, it's approx a 20/30 minute walk.
La Colina railway station is about a 10 minute walk away from the complex.

There are 4 pools, ranging in size from a large pool opposite the beach to a small shallow pool for the babies situated lower down the complex. There's also a Spa/Gym and indoor steam room/pool.

There are several bars, I don't touch alcohol, so I can only comment on the tea and coffee... both were putrid and they ought be fined under the Trades Description Act.

So, for a decent cup of coffee I had to go outside. I tried the orange juice 'on tap' in the restaurant just the once, once was enough, it was like drinking pure sugar.

You have three restaurants to chose from. A Spanish restaurant and an Italian restaurant, as well as the main buffet one, however you have to book the Italian and Spanish ones at the reception.

The Spanish restaurant was just a smaller version of the main one, offering more or less the same food, but, it was more civilised by having to be booked in advance.

We didn't like the main restaurant, it's big and it was too busy, and depending where you sit, it's a trek up and down for food. The food was average and repetitive, typical mass catering.

The animation team work very hard and at night it's cheap in- house entertainment. This doesn't go down well with me when there are excellent local artists begging for regular work.

In conclusion :

All Inclusive suits some people and in some parts of the world I recognise the merits of offering this type of holiday. Sadly, it's not our 'cup of tea' when the Spanish Costas offer so much more.

Not really much more to say, we were not impressed and we won't be returning.
Cleanliness:
Food:
Service:
Location:
Entertainment:

Travel operator: Thomson

Looking to stay here? You can check the accommodation availability and get the best prices using the links below:

Welcome to Holiday Truths

Register to contribute in our forum, leave your holiday reviews and enjoy exclusive offers from your favourite travel brands.

By registering, you agree to us sending personalised emails offering holiday advice and travel deals from our travel partners. By clicking Continue, I agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Statement.