Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
We have never been restricted to just 15 kgs, possibly due to either the airline we're travelling with or because we book early. Anyway I've just checked our invoice for next year and it says 20 kgs each.
Well it appears from all of this that Tc will charge most people whether your 1kg over or anything else overweight, Now that should be a lesson to us all for next year also, Steer clear of Tc as best you can.
bluepeterno1, This really annoyed me and at the time I did intend to write to Thomas Cook's head office as I did complain at the airport, but when I got home and thought about it I decided it would take more than one person to complain "and boycott TC " if I can get a holiday with another company in the future that suits me I will certainly be booking with them.
I have been in many different airports in the U.k and Abroad, flown with many different airline companies and have never been treated the way I was treated by people working for TC's.
On queering the payment for the over luggage the check in operator seamed to find this funny and laughed at me, to say I was embarrassed was an understatement and only that I was first in the queue and she had put our bags through before telling us she was charging us for 1kg in each bag, I would have taken things out of the bag.
People talk about Onar air, give me them any day compared to T.C. as I have been to Turkey many times with them AND never found them as rude as T.C.'s staff
Seems to have turned into a bit of a moan about folk getting charged for having overweight luggage. This may sound a bit controversial but personally glad some airlines are charging folk for this as extra weight means using extra fuel which in turn means that more fuel is needed and costs go up all round.

Why should passengers that stick to the rules be punished because others don't and think they should be allowed to carry more without extra charges?

(Having said that i am a bit overweight so maybe i should get charged more than skinny passengers!!)
If you read all of the topic most of us have stated that we don't mind paying for being overweight with luggage, I myself did choose to pay for an extra 5kgs costing £15, but I do object when other's travelling with the same company didn't pay and got 5kg's free.
I won't' comment on the "being overweight and being charged more than skinny passengers" :D
Just arrived back today, Airline Onur air total weight was 47 kg thats 7kg overweight and no charge once again.
thomas cook know that 15kg allowance is not sufficient and most peoples baggage will be overweight ( more money for thomas cook), best to avoid them especially if you are going for 2 weeks. As for the weight of people, if you have ever watched american airline on tv. If a very large person comes to check in, they bring out an aircraft seat and if the person can't fit in it, they have to pay for two seats. I think that is fair enough because if you are sitting next to a large person you are not getting a full seat.
They take an average weight per passenger for the load sheets. It's currently 100kg per passenger (80kg + 20kg luggage, the luggage component being weighted accurately for loading / balance). Going a little off topic, passengers are in some cases weighed on smaller aircraft and particularly helicopters (smaller types) where the maximum take off weight (MTOW) is marginal. There was a case in America where the average weight of a passenger was out of date and the aircraft ended up being overloaded and unbalanace resulting in tragic consequences for all. That was an Air Midwest Beech 190D if my memory serves me. In that case, the average passenger weight wasn't accurate enough and the weight calculations therefore out. The aircraft was found to be over-weight and tail heavy resulting in loss of flight control. Just shows how critical weight and balance is with flight.

Darren

Funny you should mention that Dazbo. It was only the other day that I was watching aircrash investigation and that investigation was on. The plane was overloaded, and also the plane had been in for routine maintanance, and the engineer was a trainee. He over tightened the flaps so the pilot was unable to get out of difficulty caused by the overload.
Steve
minione wrote:
o.K. now you are really scaring me!

Flying is perfectly safe. Refer to our dedicated fear of flying thread if you have any reservations. The above example is one that is unlikely to happen again as lessons were learned. It's far less of an issue on larger jets. You're in safe hands!

Darren
Thanks for the reassurance Darren. Can we please get back on topic because I am really not a happy flier, although I am getting better(at least I was before that plane ditched in to the Hudson yesterday! Now who's :offtop Sorry :whoops
that is more likey to happen on small aircrft as which was said in the documentary and is unlikely to happen on a larger jet aircraft although the centre of gravity still plays a major part in any air travel
flying is still the safest form of transport
:sun2
15 kg is enough. You also have your hand luggage allowance. Last summer we took our 4 teenagers (including 2 girls) on a week's gulet cruise out of Fethiye followed by a week in a luxury villa in Dalyan.We looked very carefully at what we were taking eg only 1 hairdryer, one set of straighteners, books we could all read and pass on. We stiill brought back loads of clean things, despite the girls getting dressed up every night, even on the boat. We had to take soft luggage, which probably helped.
This topic has been edited to remove content which some members found offensive. We would ask that no further comments are made about the weight of passengers.

David :wave
Isnt it about time some enterprising person came up with really lightweight case. Some of the cases weigh so heavy without anything in them. 15k allowance, case weighs four or five kilo you are down before you pack.
Something like this below, I have one of these and it weighs the same but mine is much bigger these are ok if your not putting in anything thats easily broken
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=2850928&Submit=GO+%3E
I bought something similar mine is slighty bigger though, it was from the Co-Op it was 9.97. The case I was useing before that weighed a ton empty.

Steve
:wave:

There is a lightwieght case called Size Zero by Antler but it is expensive.

chazy
Antler Size Zero! The large size roller-case weighs just 3.6kg making Size Zero probably the world's lightest structured roller-case. Incredibly lightweight and extremely durable, £145.83.
http://www.travellersworld.co.uk/luggage-description-antler.php?id_ref=176&brand=SIZE%20ZERO%20BY%20ANTLER&style=SOFT%20SUITCASE

Still to heavy for me, My one weighs 2kg.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.