Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
hi, just recieved my tickets for my holiday in mexico (GOING IN JUST OVER 3 WEEKS) with thomson and it says that under new legislation us dollars are no longer accepted as a form of payment in any bars ,shops and restaurants can anyone tell me if this is true as i have got only us dollars to take with me we have been to mexico several times before and used us dollars.also how much is the departure tax now thanks julie
Hi, if you look on a lot of the threads on trip advisor, most are saying that businesses are not accepting american dollars for transactions over $100, apparently you can still use the dollar for anything under that amount ( this information from hoteliers and people just returning ) , departure tax can definately NOT be paid in US Dollars, has to be pesos, sterling or euro at approximately 640 mexican pesos each .
hope this helps and have a great time !
There is so much conflicting information at the moment, someone who had recently returned said the departure tax had gone up to 700 pesos, their Thomson rep in the resort told them that they could pay in $US - rate was $58 or £38. Much cheaper to pay in dollars.

I will take pesos as no one seems to have a definitive answer.
Hi,

Late August/ early September i'm going to St Lucia for a week followed by a week in barbados and was wondering what approach to take with currency? My initial instinct would be to get about 70% of the money i want for both locations in travellers cheques and leave the rest in the bank, although i just don't like the idea of holding the travellers cheques for a week in St Lucia when they are for Barbados. What would people do?

Thanks,

Martyn
Hi there

Just a quick query. Have booked a week in Barbados for October. Hve found differing views on what currency to take - some say take US Dollars and change (or spend) when there (accepting you get Barbados Dollars in return (difficult to keep track of three exchange rates - £ to $ to $BDS); or take $BDS, or take sterling and change there. Anyone got advice>

Malcolm
Malchester,

I would take US$ as they are widely acepted.

Darren
Booked for Jamaica for next summer, last time I went we took US Dollars which were accepted all over, is there any advantage in buying the Jamaican Dollar?
Thanks in advance :tup
shirleyV,

US$ are the easiest to get in the UK and are widely accepted so I can't see any advantage in getting Jamaican $. At least with US$, any that are left over can be used for lots of destination you may go to in the future.

Darren
Hi Shirley I took a small amount of Jamacian Dollars and the rest US dollars, I saw no advantage of taking Jamaican dollars at all, the things that we did buy when we tried to pay in Jamacian Dollars were ridiculously high, I would just take US dollars. My trip was April last year.

I am envious and hope to return real soon. :cheers
of to Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata) end October early November 2011 and wondering what currency to take any assistance would be appreciated :que

many thanks
neilm,

The US Dollar is widely accepted and is the easiest to take.

Darren
We are going to Mexico for the first time what is the best currency to take.
We took peso's qatarman and that's what most people seemed to carry
Prices around the hotel were mainly in dollars and for exsursions we tended to use our card . Prices were then always converted to pesos .

On the way home you could pay departure tax in pesos or sterling .
Hi qatarman :wave:

Also read the post by Dazbo at the top of this page regarding the official Mexican currency rules :tup
Hi,
take a quantity of both US$ and Mexican Peso's. Peso's are really the best option when for example using Taxi's, making purchases... (for example, a Taxi will charge you $10 for a journey into town, the trip is also 10Peso's. If you pay in US$ you have paid double due to the exchange rates...)

Just one to watch! As I say, take both ;)
I will be taking Peso however can i use my Mastercard to draw extra from ATM machines.
Going to Cancun tues, what is the best currency to take with us, been told $us & some1 else says peso.
Off to Dom.Rep. in January for the first time and have a couple of questions that perhaps you can answer.Should we take UK Sterling or US dollar TCs? Also will we be able to change sterling(cash) and should we also take some DR pesos(are they available from our banks?)? Also,what is the best way to pay departure tax? Sorry if i seem thick!!!! but for the last 14 years we have been going to Goa and i want to make sure we get it right in DR. Thanks,Paula
milliemeg,

I always take US dollar as I've always found the exchange rate over here better. Many places in the Dom Rep will charge commission so it's generally better value to change them before travelling. I personally don't take travellers cheques as they aren't always good value. The advantage with them is they are safer if they get lost or stolen,but as long as cash is kept in a locked safe in your room, you're covered. Sterling can be changed in most hotels and banks locally. Departure tax can be paid in US dollar or DR Peso.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.