Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
I am too going to Cancun and would like peoples advice on what currency to take. we are going all inclusive , so any money will be spent on excursions and going to coco bongos etc at night.

what is best Pesos or Dollars?

thanks for any help
drobuk, see my post at the top of this page, you just need to change the exchange rates and check again, but for people travelling from UK Pesos seems to be the best way to go. If you can get hold of 20 peso notes (approx £2) for tipping even better.

As to how much spends to take for AI, it obviously depends on what you want to do. Personally, Cancun is a great place with loads of great places to eat and drink, to spend all your time at the hotel. If you need to worry about your budget, you could consider mostly taking meals at the hotel then going out for a drink only. Trips can work out quite expensive, although a lot of them will include lunch. To swim with Dolphins is around USD150.
We usually have a day out then a day of rest the next day!!

For my family of four, I will expect to spend around £1200, taking around £600 in Pesos, and paying for excursions on my Credit card. So for 2 people I would say £500-£750 would be fine.
we are going to the melia caribe tropical in may next year should we take some money in dollars and the rest in british pounds and exchange them in the hotel as we need .do not believe in buying travellers cheques and paying twice once to buy them then to change them in resort.
I understand what everyone says about having to pay twice etc., but I always think of the implications of losing any ready cash I have.

For this reason I always take a mixture of money, ie cash, currency and travellers cheques.

Kath HT Admin
im going to dom rep in september and decided on bringing dollars, I will need to bring smaller notes for tipping etc.
do most travel shops & post office etc give smaller notes or is there only certain places that do this?

Thanks for any help.

Danielle
Hi, can anyone advise me what currency to take to Barbados, US dollars or Barbadian Dollars? Thanks Alison
Hi. I am going to Jamaica in August and I'm not sure if its best to take Jamaica Dollars or US Dollars. Please can anyone offer me some advice? I have read the whole currency topic and am none the wiser! Thanks
I've always taken mainly peso's to the Dominican Republic but I take about £50 in dollars for the airport taxes and tipping and I've found the best place to get small dollar notes is the postoffice. Make sure you get a 10 dollar and 20 dollor note per person for the airport though.
sam
You'll find some Jamaica advice (including currency) HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
We are going to margarita in August stopping at the Laguna Mar, what is the best currency to take and would it be travellers cheques or cash
Nice to hear about your travel adventures. Has anyone here gone to Barbados or Bahamas?
we know you can use american dollars in jamiaca and they give you change in jamiacan dollars but can anyone tell me if you can spend the us coinage please
hi all,

going on a caribbean cruise in jan and want to take the currency with me rather than exchange it on the ship at inflated rates.

i know the us dollar is "widely" accepted but can anyone confirm that it is taken everywhere in the following places or is there another i need to take.
thanks
ian

BARBADOS
TORTOLA
ST MAARTEN
ST KITTS
ANTIGUA
DOMINICA
ISLA MARGARITA
GRENADA
ST LUCIA
MARTINIQUE
ST VINCENT
hi going to st lucia in 2wks can you tell me the best currancy to take, and if uyou are able to change sterling over there

thanks carol
Hi All,

With the USD being such an attractive buy at present, around 2 USD to the £, would it not be the wise thing to do to purchase USD now even for a holiday next February.

Chris
Hi folks, I've just had a read through the comments here and they are a bit out of date - so my apologies for rehashing over old questions...

Flying out to the Dominican Republic at the end of June... Is it recommended to take American dollars for the first instance (tips on arrival, 1st day) and cash in sterling travellers cheques as and when required for the rest? I read someone mentioning taking sterling and keeping it in the hotel safe...

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Goldie
hi

am of to dom rep on tuesday advice on what currency to take for tipping i am lead to believe $1 bills are the best?

thanks

TC
Hi

Im off to Cozumel at the weekend. I have already changed up some money into USD. DO you think it best to also get some changed up in Mexican Pesos?

Many thanks
Hi folks, I've just had a read through the comments here and they are a bit out of date - so my apologies for rehashing over old questions...

Flying out to the Dominican Republic at the end of June... Is it recommended to take American dollars for the first instance (tips on arrival, 1st day) and cash in sterling travellers cheques as and when required for the rest? I read someone mentioning taking sterling and keeping it in the hotel safe...

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Goldie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.