Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Lorraine, 1.95 is a terrible rate - I think you mean 19.5, which is not bad, although you may get slightly better in resort.
Ooopps!!! Decimal point in the wrong place!
Lorraine
We had just over 20 when we went 2 years ago, so I'd say you're ok.
Is it easy to exchange Sterling, in the hotel?
Yes, but the rate tended to be slightly lower.
Can anyone tell whether it's best to take Sterling or US Travellers Cheques to Margarita. I took US to Goa last year and realised it would have been better to take sterling to avoid two exchange rates.

Any help would be appreciated!

:P

Can anyone tell whether it's best to take Sterling or US Travellers Cheques to Margarita. I took US to Goa last year and realised it would have been better to take sterling to avoid two exchange rates.

Any help would be appreciated

When I went earlier on this year I took US dollars T/c's.
MaryAnne please PM me.
is it best to take uk money to dom rep and change ir there?
Hi there!! I'm a new member to the website (very useful by the way!) and wondered if anyone could help me with something! I have just booked 2 weeks in the Dom republic in October, staying at the Casa Marina Reef. Can someone tell me some info regarding currency... i.e. Are u able to use US$ as well as peso's? Also roughly how expensive/cheap it is and roughly how many us$/peso's to the £? Sorry, im pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of thing!!

Hope you can help.

Brummiebird1981
I always take just US dollars when we go never had any problems most shops at hotels are priced in USD but may get change in Pesos
hi all

has anyone got the link to the m&s currency exchange

can anyone also tell me what the exchange rate is for DR so we know what to look for when we change money
Hi

We are off to Mexico in three weeks and have finally decided to go with Pesos rather than Dollars. We ordered them today from the post office as they said we could have whatever denominations we wanted - so we asked for it all in twentys which is equal to £1.00. When we asked at various travel agents they all said they couldnt guarantee what denominations would come in and that they are usually a lot larger than twentys as they are very hard to come by? So will have to see what I end up with tommorow when I pick them up from the post office and if the post office dont have a problem getting smaller bills why cant the travel agents?
Just thought I'd let you know picked up our Mexican Pesos from the post office today all in nice clean crisp twentys = £1.00. I have read a lot of comments mostly from Americans and from our travel agents that these are very hard to come by and the ones you get are usually torn and not accepted so dont listen if you want to take peso's you will have no problem getting whichever notes you want from the post office. :D
hi,

what would be the best currency to take for an all-inclusive hotel in Dominican Republic?

Just looking at how good the £ is to the US$ at the moment i was wondering about taking US$, but if you have to change it at the hotel then the gain may be lost in the exchange rate/charge?

anyone have advice on this - what currency and in what form (travellers cheque, cash, etc)?

thanks, Lee
For Travellers from UK to Mexico.
I just did a quick exercise on todays exchange rates. (This was originally written in March.)
Sterling to USD 1.92
USD to Pesos 11.2237 (BUT in resort you get 10)
Sterling to Pesos 21.56
So if for your 2 week stay you want a budget of £100 pd you will take £1400.
If you buy $ or $ cheques you get $2688,
If you spend dollars in resort they will be worth 26,880 pesos
If you buy Pesos or Sterling Cheques your £1400 will be worth 30184 pesos.
An extra £153 worth of pesos, a day and a halfs budget!!
This is just based on todays rates and they change everyday. You would need to check again when you are looking to buy currency though.
For tips if you want to hand out lots of small ones then a supply of $1 bills is going to be the easiest way. But If you are spending a lot of time in your hotel then you don't have to tip every time you get a drink and can get away with 20 peso bills every other round. It is worth having small notes as soon as you get off the plane, but for us Brits I think Pesos is the only way to go!!!
Hi

I'm really interested to know what the best currency option is for the Dominican Republic at the moment. With the US$ rate so good (as a Brit) I don't know whether it would be best taking dollars or pesos. Has anyone been recently who can offer some advice please?

I've heard mixed advice - some say dollars, others say withdraw from ATMs when you are there, others say pesos because you are less likely to get overcharged than if you pull out dollars....help!

thanks, lee
If you do get peso's the ex-change rate is a lot better here than what you will be offered whilst you are there at the hotel of at change bureau's. As you won't need a whole lot of cash i would get it here and then withdraw from an ATM if you should need to.
hi, going to mexico should we take tc or pesos english money, thanks shazzer :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.