Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Good luck to you as well Shirley. Sad thing is that, for the first time ever, XL managed to get everything right this year (apart from getting us home!), the plane was excellent, the crew were excellent, I got all but immediate responses from their Customer Services when I e-mailed them, we received our tickets weeks in advance....we even had the latest Indiana Jones movie on the plane!
Well, my bank appear to be playing silly bs - just received a letter from them asking for a letter from the liquidators which asks me to contact my credit card company. :cry

So I'm going to use the nice letter from the Money Saving Expert site which points out that they are "jointly and severally liable" and that I am choosing to claim from them! 25 blinking years I've been with them and never claimed a damn thing...
Hi Elenitsa,
I'm in exactly the same boat. My CC company have asked me today (after almost 6 weeks of persuing my claim) if I've contacted Travel Republic (where I purchased the flights) and what have they advised me about claiming :duh

Thanks for the idea of sending them the letter from the Money Saving Expert site. I will also be doing that. It's so frustrating - I'm almost at a point of changing my CC company and I've only been with them for 4 months :yikes
Well, fingers crossed for both of us! I'm also waiting on getting next year's deposits back from ATOL...
Hi again Elenitsa,
Having looked at the info on the moneysaving expert website, I don't think my credit card company will pay out. It states that if things were bought through a third party such as a TO rather than direct with the airline, then they aren't liable. Since my xl flights were arranged with Travel Republic through Freedom flights, it seems that the onus is on TR to sort something out. Luckily Freedom flights are atol bonded so TR are persuing the refund claim with CAA. I could have lost all the money if they weren't ATOL bonded even though I paid with Credit card. There are so many rules, it's a mine field :duh
Well It may take a while but at least the CAA should pay out for your flights. I booked next year's through Airflights with Freedom Flights - the only reason that I didn't book them direct with XL was that Airflights would take a deposit (but were about £10 dearer) and XL wanted payment up front - I'm thankful for that, otherwise I would've been trying to get 2 airfares out of my CC co!
Quick update - my credit card ahs been creditted for my flights..."while the bank investigates" - if they "find that the service was available to me"...they'll take the money back!
CAA to take action against illegal selling by agents over XL Leisure failure

The CAA is to take action against agents who unlawfully sold flights of former XL Leisure companies packaged with accommodation and other travel services.

It issued a statement today with regards to failed XL Leisure companies Freedom Flights and Pure Flights, which both held ATOLs and sold flights through their agents to the public.

But the CAA said, in a large number of cases, compensation claims have come from customers who purchased accommodation, or other travel related services, from an agent, at the same time as buying a flight.

It said these "combination" sales were illegal because the transactions amounted to sales of packages.

"In the view of the Trustees and the CAA, under the ATOL Regulations, the agents who made these sales and who received payment from the customer for the package should have contracted the whole package under one contract between the customer and an ATOL holder," said the statement.

The CAA said in order to protect customers from the delay and potential costs involved in claiming from the agent directly, it will issue refunds for flights booked.

But it will be taking action to recover monies for the ATT from the organising agents who made these unlawful sales.

Today, the CAA made a separate announcement that it was starting legal proceedings against Travel Republic for breaches of ATOL regulations (see separate story).

Freedom Flights ceased trading on September 12 and Pure Flights Limited ceased trading on 29 August 2008.

With permission from Travelmole

Travel Republic gets court summons over ATOL breach

The CAA has started legal proceedings against Travel Republic relating to alleged breaches of the ATOL regulations.

The news came as the CAA said it was taking action against agents who had illegally sold flights of failed XL Leisure companies Freedom Flights and Pure Flights as part of packages (see separate story).

The action, which is also against the company's managing director Kane Pirie, is over claims that on a number of occasions throughout 2008, Travel Republic broke Regulation 3 (1A) (a) of the regulations.

Westminster Magistrates Court has issued 20 summonses against Travel Republic Limited and a further 20 against Pirie, following information from the CAA.

The first hearing date will be February 11.

Travel Republic was unavailable for comment.

The CAA's action was welcomed by TUI and the Travel Trust Association. See separate story.

Industry welcomes legal action over ATOL breaches

TUI has welcomed the CAA's determination to seek funds from agents who have illegally sold packages without ATOL protection.

In a statement issued today, the CAA said it will take action against agents who illegally sold accommodation and other travel-related services packaged with flights by failed operators Freedom Flights and Pure Flights (see previous stories).

Dermont Blastland, MD TUI UK and Ireland, said: "We desperately need an environment for customers so that when they book holidays they can be 100% certain whether they are protected or not.

"We continue to urge the Government to undertake a fundamental review and overhaul of this area of regulation for the benefit of the British public and the industry as a whole."

ABTA said: "We wholeheartedly support the CAA in their action against companies illegally organising package holidays as we agree that any agent who sells a package should have in place proper financial protection."

Chief executive Mark Tanzer said: " We do however, remain concerned that the lack of transparency makes it difficult for the travel industry and its customers to understand and we urge the government again to review this complex issue."

Meanwhile, the Travel Trust Association said it applauded the CAA for its decisive action in starting legal proceedings against those who "have tried to make a mockery of the ATOL system".

Simon Hargreaves, TTA's managing director said: "For too long we have seen companies avoid providing proper customer protection.

"We applaud the CAA for taking action against those that they believe have broken the law and we hope this will deter others from trying to devalue the system."

I have just received a bill for two one way "repatriation" flights I booked via the XL web page, but all my monies,phone calls where to Freedom Flights(part of the XL group)I still have a invoice from them for my deposit .In small print on the invoice it says " your contract is with Freedom Flights", who are ATOL bonded. Am I covered or am I in contract with XL as I booked through their web site.
Interesting.
TCD web site now shows announcement thet they are back in buisness...as part of Virgin Holidays!

http://www.travelcitydirect.com/
Does anyone know what happened or is going to happen with XL's planes? I know they were all grounded at various airports but wondered whether they have now been moved or sold to other airlines :que

Hope all of you who were left high and dry by Xl managed to get your money back!!
As I understand it, they didn't own them, they were leased...one of the reasons there's no capital going around to pay off the debts!
fatcodycat wrote:
Does anyone know what happened or is going to happen with XL's planes?

Some went back to the lease company, some were redeployed and the new Airbus A332's they had on order have been given to others on the order books. Some are still in storage.

Darren
Hope all of you who were left high and dry by Xl managed to get your money back!!

I'm still waiting for the refund to my mum and Dad's flights. Apparently it's all in hand and a matter of sitting tight. Good news is their alternative flight to Lanzarote got them there safely and with no probs. They are out there now enjoying 2 weeks in glorious sunshine. Lucky devils!
I am still waiting too for my refund, everything is running to plan as far as I know,Ihave had my letter of acceptance form the CAA and will just have to keep waiting, hopefully wont be to long now.
How long did you have to wait to get an acknowledgement? My claim for this year's deposit was sent off by my TA in mid-Oct and I haven't heard anything yet.
Hi I sent my claim off at the end of September but it came back to me at the end of October is I had not filled in one section that I was supposed to. And I had my letter of acceptance dated the 20th November. I think I should have my refund about 12 weeks from the letter of acceptance. hope this helps you.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.