Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
No prawn he hasn't. He went to the DR the other day and I said to him to mention it but he forgot.

Shall look at this thread now and see if I can find any tips.
didn't realise this thread was on here!!!

not a problem.. you will find many interesting threads across the board from this to what to pack, luggage scales what type of case etc.. if your feeling bored take a look through.. and don't forget to check out the members tools click the right hand box on the blue banner near top of page..

as for your problem with carefully checking this one you will find most answers already here.. the only thing HT doesn't condone is the use of medication unless prescribed by your doctor as what works for one can aggravate symptoms in others

wiz
my wife did the virgin fear of flying course at Birmingham airport and she is now a converted non flyer. plus done many other things that she wouldnt have done before played her saxaphone as a solo at a concert. she ride escalators for fun in shopping centres and the lifts. Goes to conferences on her own and many more things.

the best money i ever spent it was just oover £220 a couple of years ago.

Adrian
The first time me and my husband flew was when I was 17 and he was 20. We went to Rhodes and had a bumpy flight on the way back - he also had very bad pressure thing in his ears which caused him much pain upon landing. Since then he is terrible every time there's the slightest bit of turbulance. He read somewhere that there's more pressure on the engine when taking off and landing and since then he's become terrible at these times. We only fly once a year if that but at these times he sweats, shakes and grabs my hand till it goes white. The longest flight we've had was just under 5 hours. We'd both really like to go to the Caribbean for a cruise this year but I really don't know whether we'll book anything because of my husband's fear. I have to say, my own fear of flying has been exagerated since my husband's feelings. Recently I've been watching clips on you-tube of landings etc and have been reading things like this and have felt that it's made me feel a bit better. If anything I'm worried about how I'll pass the boredom of the 10 hours flying time! haha I'm going to get him to read through all this tomorrow anyway and then hope he'll book our well-deserved holiday!
:tup :sun2
Suzanne,

Aircraft engines are under the most stress at take off as more power is required to accelorate the aircraft down the runway and during the climb. You'll notice just after take off, the sound of the engines reduces as the power is reduced to climb power; not as much is required. Aircraft rarely use full power. They generally perform what is known as a de-rated take off. That just means they use a reduced power setting, just enough to give the required acceloration and performance at take off. This minimised wear and team and stress on the engines. Aircraft have two (3 or 4) engines to give symetrical thrust and redundancy, but they can also fly on one engine if required (twin jet). Once airbourne and established in the cruise, engines purr away at cruise setting. They can run like that for hours upon hours, until they run out of fuel! They are designed to be running, not standing still on the ground. During the descent, engines are often at idle, with a minimal power setting to maintain the required airspeed at the given altitude. During the final phase of descent when flaps and slats enter the equasion (effectly giving the wing more lift at a slower speed), more power is required to maintain airspeed because of the extra drag. In genreal, engines are least stressed through the descent up until final approach and landing where thrust reverse is then used. It's a bit like driving a car really, you use most throttle when pulling away from traffic lights and just enough to maintain speed when you're on the motorway. When you are slowing down, your fut is off the accelorator peddle.

During a flight, cabin pressure changes due to the change in atmospheric pressure outside. As you increase altutude, the pressure drops. That's what you feel in the cabin. Aircraft cabins are normally maintained at a cabin altitude of 8,000-10,000ft, at approx. 8 PSI. Normal ground pressure is 1 bar or 14.7 PSI, so it's about half that of surface pressure. Most people tend to experience the greatest discomfort during the descent when air pressure is increasing. Gas spaces in the body, particularly in the ears need to equilise. The popping sensation in your ears is the air pressure equilising. During take off, air can normally pass out easily from ths sinus' and the eustation tubes at the back of the troat in the case of our ears. This happens when the air pressure outside drops and the air inside expands, forcing its way out. You sometimes get a reverse block where the airway is blocked by mucus. During the descent, air needs to get back in to those air spaces which is more difficult. As the outside air pressure increases, it can force airways to close. The increasing pressure then pushes against tissues and can cause the ear drum to bend inwards. It's this that often causes the discomfort, and a similar thing in the sinus'. You sometimes have to use techniques such as valsalvas (pinch you nose and breath through it gently) to try and force air inside to equilise the pressure. Us divers know these issues all too well!!!

The length of flight doesn't really effect these issues. If you can manage a 5 hour flight, then an extra 3, 4 or 5 hours shouldn't really make much of a difference. Long haul aircraft are far roomier and better equiped with things like seat back screens showing a selection of films and tv programmes. As long as you can put up with the length of the flight, I'm sure you'd be fine. I've done up to 14 hours, I know it can get a bit boring but modern aircraft are much better than they used to be when it comes to long flights.

If you or your husband have any particular questions about the phases of flight and we can help put you at ease, that's what we're here for. Aircraft are reliable machines and the crew very well trained and experienced so you're always in safe hands. Just set your sights on the Caribbean sun and the powder white beaches :cheers :tup
Darren
Hi guys im off to the dominican on wednesday with my wife and little boy and even though iv flown quite a few times including to thailand Ill get quite anxious a few days before I go... like now, my wife has flown loads as she has lived all over the world and as far as she is concerned its like catching a bus!! my main concern is turbulence flying from Bangkok to phuket it was quite bad and my wife even said it was, so my question is how bad is very bad turbulence are we talking general rattling around and a big dipper ride or are we talking the plane dropping 100`s of feet, food and drinking flying all over and the plane almost doing loop the loop, I know its an irrational fear but if i could understand it a bit more it would make me feel a bit better

Many Thanks
I cant answer your question in full all I can say is I have been over the Pond many times to USA Caribbean and never had any bad turbulence it is very very rare that you get the type on turbulence you are pictureing in moden day aircraft.
Hope this helps enjoy your holiday and the trip.
bigbadjack,

I wouldn't worry about turbulence. It can happen at any time, but the flight crew will minimise it. They don't like flying through any more than you do! The aircraft can handle anything that is thrown at it so it won't be a problem. Just make sure you keep you seat belts on at all times, losely and you'll be fine. How much and the severity depends on the weather conditions on the day. Any expected area will be avoided so it'll just be a few bumps normally if you experience any. i've been through some pretty severe turbulence in the past, all part of flying though. It may feel like you are falling say 100 ft, buin reality, it's nothinfg more than say 5-10ft.

Darren
This is worth a look for anyone with a fear of flying, theres lots of information within the site, advice from former fearful flyers, and an ask the pilot section.

http://www.takingflight.us/forums/index.php
hi, i have been on this section of the forum before when i was going on my first holiday abroad after around 5 years, i was nervous of flying, although for no particular reason (not had a bad experiance, think it might have just been things in the news, thoughts etc) anyway i soon overcome the fear after a couple of flights and came to quite enjoy flying and have been on holiday 5 times inlcuding that first one.
BUT we went to egypt in jan and the flight itself was great, but when we came into land we were about 5 minuets or so from landing, i think the wheels were down ready and all of a suddent the aircraft started to zoom back up into the air fast and felt quite steep, there was some turbalance and dropping (air pockets) and shaking once we got back up the plane was turning (to come into land again but we didnt no this at the time), the piolt didnt come on to talk to us for what felt like ages but it must have been about 10 minuets.
he then explained that he was giving us ayour around the bay! as there was a plane still on the runway! i felt better then when i new what was going on and that we were safe (but still felt very wary) so the pilot did well to get us out of danger and thats probably why he didnt explain what was happening sooner, but at the time this scared me so much and my fiance too and we were sitting across the ailse from each other we were able thold hands though, butthe one time we didnt book seats together (due to it been a late booking) and this happend, but al least we only had a small ailse betwen us could have been the other side of the plabe.

on the flight back i was a nervous wreck, there was slight turbulance to start the flight which calmed down after a while but i was so close to tears, felt sick couldnt eat, was shakey, couldnt concetrate on the tv to take my mind off it for very long, so i had a diazipam tablet left over from a previous flight and did have a few drinks too i was so scared, felt abit better after and managed to sleep a little while (whioch i never normally can do when travling) i new that it was stupid and that we were fine and if ithadnt have been for the flight on the way there i would have been fine, but i really couldnt shake it off at all. i spoke to the stewedess and they said they didnt even notice the turbulance and were lovley and said its just like your car going over the speed bumps and we were fine.

the thing is im now nervous of flying again, i want to go away for a shaort break to the algarve in may and to turkey in sept with fiances parents and when i think of the flight my stomach turns slightly and i have a feeling it may get worse closer to the time. i know i have been on many flights and been fine and planes fly everyday etc but this experiance has made me nervous again, i have even said to other people who are nervous its fine and encouraged them to flyand i when i was no longer nervous i thought what was i so worried about before, but not now!
I know you've already seen and posted on the thread linzi_lou, but for the benefit of others, there's more information on 'aborted landings', more commonly known as go-arounds and why they are performed on the Aborted landing thread.

Darren
I've always been a little nervous of flying, even though i love the whole experience !

In 2005 we went to Mallorca, Hubby & I and two children and on the return flight, as we took off and flew upwards, the plane seemed to fall back a few feet. Everyone when "Ooooh !" I promptly burst into tears and was inconsolable ! I really thought we were going to crash backwards to the ground. It took me about half hour to fully compose myself but it was a really horrible experience.

In 2007 we again went to Mallorca, but this time the horrible bit was taking off from Stansted. We were delayed a short while due to forecasted heavy wind & rain coming in (it was August) So I was nervous as we waited to board watching the rain start & the heavy clouds. We ended up sitting on the plane for a further half hour before we began to taxi. Then the pilot said we would be likely to hit turbulence as took off. By this time my head was in my hands and I felt tearful. All I could think of was that we were going to run out of runway, or just get up & fall back again. Once we were up in the air, some time later I did feel better again & started to enjoy my flight.

This August we are off to Florida (last went in 1993) but I'm dreading something will go wrong & we will crash :yikes
I think the recent Hudson plane crash landing, and the other recent incidents over the last year hasnt helped fill me with confidence :cry

So if possible, can all you lovely people give me a virtual kick up my botty to stop me fretting over something which is very unlikely to happen. :sun
Harlowgirl,

All I Can Do Is Point You Back Over This Thread Where Their Is Lots Of Useful Informatio, Especially Darrens Post To Suzanne Above,

Airlines Make These Flights Daily And I Can't Think Of The Last Time A Heard A Problem With One Of The British Charter Companys.

If It Helps To Know What Aircraft Type You Will Be On Then Just Post In The Relevant Airline Thread, And Ill Get The Info For You.

Gower
and we must point out that despite the sensational headlines in the press and on TV NO AIRCRAFT CRASHED in to the Hudson river, it is what is known as a controlled landing on water, the pilot showed the exceptional skill and training given to all western European and American pilots, yes from time to time things will happen to upset some passengers, the golden rule is to remember .. the flight crew want to get home just as safely as you ,so they will not take risks to endanger either themselves , their aircraft and therefore their load [passengers]

wizard
Thanks Gower

Ive already asked what plane Im going to be on & Its a Thomson airline 767- 300 ? (TOM090 )
The other planes on the Mallorca flights were 3-3 configaration 757's ??

I have also just taken a quick look through this thread - thanks

Im really looking forward to going, but still have these silly insecurities creeping up on me.

Thanks Wizard

Although it wasnt technically a crash, but a controled landing, I still would prefer landing on a runway ;)
Harlowgirl,

Thats Correct It Will Be A Thomson Airways Boeing 767-300

If You Want Any Info On That Type Of Aircraft Visit The Thomson Airways Thread

Gower
Re the amount of time it took the pilot to tell earlier thread (hallowgirl) what was happening, can anybody tell me why the pilots don't seem to talk like they used to. I remember pilots telling us where we were and what towns were out the right/left of the plane. This always used to help reassure me as I knew they were in control and there in the cockpit watching what was happening, why don't we hear those friendly reassuring voices any more? :wave:
scorpio28,

Many Pilots Still Do, It All Depends On Their Personality. The Last Flight I Was On The Pilot Tols Us All About The Flight He Had Flown Earlier In The Day, And What The Weather Was Like Of Europe

Gower
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.