Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Good for you Shirley - I have used them for years and cannot fault them, Long may they continue!!
Ive used them 3 times with no problems.My son went to Benidorm on Tuesday and booked everything with them,airport carpark,insurance,flights,hotel and shuttle transfer,he printed off all his vouchers etc,this was the first time he has done something like this and thought something would go wrong ! but all went smoothly,and he saved £150 compared to his local travel agent booking it that way. :cheers
I am looking at booking with travel republic as reviews on here seem to be good. Prob book egypt for next week but have a query on luggage as TR says need to pay £25 per person for hold baggage. Is there no allowance from airline without doing this as it is a thomson flight and they have allowance of 15kg?? or do they not? Does anyone know?
seem to remember reading that flight only bookings with Thomson no longer give automatic hold baggage only as a part of a Thomson package
I've just been pricing up a Thomson flight to Tunisia through their own website, as they are the only ones who fly to Enfidha from Stansted and there is no mention of this, only the advice to book extra weight if you think you may need more than 15 kg. I was checking for October and found them far cheaper on their website than through TR, Low Cost or any of the other consolidators.
Hi Aslemma/monkeyita, just had a quick look at this.

Thomson charge £25 for baggage on their flight only bookings. We no longer sell Thomson package holidays, but when we did towards end of last year they included baggage in package prices. That may be where confusion is arising.

With regards to price, I just checked Stansted to Enfidha, departing 10-Aug, returning 17-Aug, for one passenger, paying for a bag.

I get final price of £270.35 on Travelrepublic and £267.98 on Thomson Flights. You are right, Thomson are cheaper, but this price is before any card fees. Gets a bit complicated then.

If you are paying by Visa Electron, then neither of us charge card fees, so this is correct comparison.
Next cheapest option is Maestro and Vis Debit, for which Thomson charge £2.95 and we charge £3.39, so again Thomson cheaper.
For credit cards we both charge the same amount, so Thomson still cheaper.

We are talking about £2.37 on this example.

What Thomson dont tell you (well they do, but you need 20 minutes to read all their T&C's to discover it isnt there) is that flight only bookings made on the Thomson website are NOT ATOL protected. So if Thomson go pop (unlikely I know) so does your money.

For the part of the £2.37 extra Travelrepublic takes out supplier failure insurance on your flights should the worst happen, so unless you pay by credit card on Thomson site to get cover that way, you are safer booking with us if you want complete peace of mind. Remember we are ABTA, so you are covered against our demise as well.

Thanks for pointing out the price gap, we will do our best to close it! In the meantime, I hope this is sufficient explanation of the points raised!
hi ive found cheap flights to the algarve on the the travel republic website because we are a party of 10 i have to go through group booking so have to fill out a form ive done that twice now but no one has seem to have got back to me it does say within 48 hours someone will get back to you but its been 3-4 days..anyone else had this problem what did you do???? :que
Hi asma,

sorry I've never booked for a large group but Steve, a travel republic employee is a loyal and very helpful member of HT and I'm sure he'll be able to sort it for you when he reads this post. I'd tell you to pm him but notice that you're a new member here so won't have the private messaging facility yet. Would you like me to contact him on your behalf?
Hi asma, 3-5 days doesnt sound quick enough, will chase them up for you. Steve
Hi again asma, I have spoken to opur Groups team and they think they replied to you yesterday. Cant claim credit for that, but please tell us if you havent received news yet!

Thanks Steve
steved1
there is a bit of a discussion on the ryanair thread about the benefits of booking ryanair flights through travel republic.
the relevant posts are by modoc here

can you confirm that if we were to book ryanair flights with your company we would be able to save on the charges ryanair impose.
are you also able to confirm that the price you quote for ryanair is a live price, and you would not be increasing this later.
this could potentially provide you with lot more business so i am sure others would be interested in your reply.
thanks
Had an email that my outstanding balance will be processed, does that mean TR will take the payment from my account automatically and I won't have to contact them?
The email says I set up a pre-payment which is fine but I wasn't sure what that actually meant.

Could someone clarify this as I don't want to miss the due date of payment.
Thank you.... Caz
When you made the booking, there would have been a box already ticked to say that you agreed for them to take the balance on the due date. If you did not untick that box then you will have agreed for it to be taken automatically.

However you can check by going to My Bookings at the top right of their website. Put in your booking reference and click on View My Booking at the left hand side. If you have already agreed for the payment to be taken automatically, it will show the payment method, the date due and the amount.

luci :wave
Thank you luci, that helped, It is an automated payment, I was clicking on the wrong thing.....Cazx
I have found after booking my flight with travel republic i am unable to pre-book seats or meals on flight as this has to be done through emails to travel republic who are really slow at responding to emails -_-
I don't see why travel republic can't just give you the reference number so you could book it yourself through your flight operator, or let you add it when booking the flight with travel republic.
wondered if anyone else has had this problem?
Hi and welcome to HT!

Have you tried calling TR? I have found them swift to answer the phone and they have a normal geographic number rather than a premium rate number.

The reference number should be on your confirmation. However it may need the travel agent's email address to access the site.

Which airline are you flying with?

luci :wave
I did phone TR at the start thinking i could book over the phone but they said it has to be done through emails where they quote a price and then i say whether i agree with that price or not, but this is taking up a lot of time as they are slow to respond and i have booked with monarch :)
Hi

I have just booked a Thomsons flight via travel republic travelling long haul to Punta Cana. Its classed as a no frills flight so does that mean I do not get inflight meals etc?

can I book these in advance, if so, do I book via thomsons or via travel republic? I hope that makes sense!! :duh
Not impressed with Travel republic at all. Never had a problem with them before, but I think the true test of a company is what they do when something goes wrong. Well, in my experience, regrettably, I have to report the answer is - not alot.
Quick summary - 3 day car hire, booked and paid for well in advance. Showed up at local supplier - didn't have our booking. Travel Republic solution - to refund our money, tell us to sort something out ourselves in resort and put in a claim for any price difference. All very stressful but at least it wasn't an accommodation booking!
I've learnt my lesson though - I have 3 outstanding accommodation bookings with them and I will be contacting the hotels directly to make sure they have the booking before leaving the UK.
Think I'll be booking with asda-travel in future
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.