Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Hi beats, it depends on which provider you book with. The low cost carriers have varying degrtees of seat allocation, the charters dont susually. The scheduled airlines can usually sort something.

Steve
I'd actually put this in otb thread as couldn't find this one but a reply suggested Steve might have an answer ? Have to say I've often used TR for flights as good prices & I'm sure I've always paid card charges, something that bugs the heck out of me. Why are online flight & holidays different to every other purchase using plastic ? However the point I'm making is the card charges (I understand that's what they are) were not identified as such, or even shown on the price I clicked on to pay with my card & a greater amount was charged. Even though this was a paltry sum I understood they couldn't actually take more without informing you ?! So below is my original statement in full. I was intending to book a holiday via TR but not inclined to at present....

"This thread was closest to my irritation but believe it's illegal & wonder how it can be solved ? Was shopping around for best priced flight to Turkey on specific date later this year. I found same Monarch flight at different prices and best on Travel Republic, chose to book this & was surprised but VERY pleased to not get fleeced with credit charges+++ ! For this reason chose deposit & balance at later date.
When e-mail confirmation/e-ticket/receipt came through they had taken several pounds extra as charges & only then told me there would be another set of similar charges when balance paid. These charges wipe out the best price that I'd found. Had they identified them as they usually do (even if only at the very final point of booking but before agreeing to transaction) I'd have continued shopping.
Although a relatively minor amount is this not illegal ? I was told x amount but they took x + £1.94 & only then told me that there is a further £3.98 charge when balance paid. To minimise charges I usualy pay total at booking & use debit card. Used credit on this occasion. Does this make my position any better ?

Many thanks for any advice out there.
Steve -can you point me to where the credit card charge amount/info appears during the booking process? I booked accommodation last night, and I never saw the CC charge till the booking was confirmed. I did take screen prints during the porcess too, and nowhere did it spell out the charge before you confirm the booking. As it was a hefty charge(!) I was annoyed I hadn't seen it in advance, because I would have paid on a debit card to avoid it.
I found the credit card charge in the FAQ's as obviously wasn't booking a holiday it says the following:-

We charge a 2.5% handling fee for payments made by credit card.
We charge 1.25% for debit card payments.

So extra 1.25% for CC charge. But you have more cover using your credit card should anything go wrong. ;)
Hi,

Have been researching Travel Republic a fair bit and also found the card charges listed in their FAQ (see post above.)

Can anyone who has used TR confirm that these charges are correct and are what you were charged? Or are the numerous complaints about their charges related to even larger, hidden charges?
I only ask as I am looking to book hotel-only for 5 nights in New York in September and as their quoted price is so low, the 2.5% credit card charge still means it's the best deal i can find and I would be reassured to know this is the only card charge people have been paying.

One other slight concern upon reading reviews (and yes I know people are more often moved to review things after bad experiences rather than good) is that a lot of people suggest contacting the hotel direct to confirm that TR have actually made the booking successfully and to ensure you wont have any problems on arrival with the hotel having no knowledge of the booking. I know this is a sensible course of action anyway but the only problem being I can't find any direct contact information for the hotel in question. I can only find it listed on other travel operator websites.

This all sounds very paranoid but any thoughts would be appreciated as at this price it would be a much appreciated trip to NY!

Thanks...
Hi Freddydingo,

I can only tell you that my experiences with Travel Republic have been excellent. I've used them quite a few times without problems. When XL went bust, Steve (a TR employee who frequents HT) was most helpful in pushing the CAA for a refund.

I've never had to query any charges and have only paid the cc charges are specified. I hope you get trouble free service from them too.
Thanks for finding the FAQ's!

Rather than just saying the card fee is there (because it is!), let me do a bit of research finding out exactly when and where the card fee is displayed, then I will reply in more detail!

Steve
I can only tell you that my experiences with Travel Republic have been excellent.

Same here, Freddydingo, I've never had any problems with either hotel or flight bookings and was surprised to find last year that it cost me less to book Jet2 flights with them than it did direct with Jet2. This was because TRs charges for using a card worked out lower than Jet2's (I've just checked back to email confirmation - I never throw anything out!) and the price quoted by TR included checked in baggage and Jet2 were adding it as an extra! :que

I never been clobbered for unexpected charges and the hotel has always been expecting me but there's nothing wrong with a belt and braces approach and if contacting the hotel puts your mind at rest, then it's worth doing.

SM
Sorry, I never got to Freddylingo's question!

You wont and shouldnt be charged any extra Freddylingo! No reputable company (let alone ABTA travel agent) would do that and if we did I would expect you all to complain loudly about it!

With regards to contacting the hotel, by all means check if you wish, but be aware that in some cases the provider we use may have an allocation of rooms at the hotel and only advises names a few days before people are due to arrive. So it isnt 100% guaranteed to work. Tell me the hotel and I will get you contact details, as more often than not, the hotel will have your name if you have booked!

What SMa refers to is something we are working on constantly to give customers value for money, especially with low cost carriers who seem to want to charge as much as theatre booking agencies for taking our money!

Steve
The CC charge wasn't a problem Steve - I do expect it, (I have booked numerous times with TR) but it would be good if it were calculated as part of the booking process so that when you see the total cost, it includes the charge before you click to confirm and pay. I didn't check the FAQs, and I ticked all the boxes agreeing to the booking because I have booked so many times with you before and have always had great service. Even with the charge, TR were still cheaper than booking direct with the hotel, so I am still happy!
I have usually found that booking a hotel with a company such as TR is cheaper than booking with the hotel direct and don't phone the hotel more than a week before I am due to arrive. On one occasion this resulted in being asked if I could bring out a bottle of whisky which he would pay for! I said if he gave me a nice room he wouldn't have to pay, resulting in a lovely room with sea view. :rofl
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I did think it was probably just a case of stumbling upon the odd loud complaint from a disgruntled minority and happily that looks like the case!

Also, Steve - thank you for your offer of contact details. I'm not in a position to book just yet (the dates are dependant on meeting a friend who's working / travelling north america at the moment). However it's just good to know that some cheap prices can (just about) be found in NYC though.

Thanks again...
hi
just a quick question about TR if anyone can help! Sorry if already asked, had a quick scan but there's so much to read!
teenage daughter and friends looking to book their first holiday and found great deal through TR, ( was similiar price with lowcostholidays but have been advised to avoid them!) but before they rush in I just wanted to check some things,

I know they are covered for operator/airline failure, but as it seems to be a holiday of seperate parts put together I wanted to know what would happen if the flight part was altered by ryanair, if they change the schedule to a day later or pull out of the airport for example, would that mean the accomodation would be altered or not?
Same thing if say the flight had a delay what would happen to the prebooked transfers?

sorry if seem stupid questions, we've never booked like this before, and want to ensure they have a hastle free hol - without mum having to stump up the money if it went pear shaped while away!!

thanks
They aren't stupid questions at all Caroline I think they're really sensible ones :tup
try this link
http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk/help/totalFinancialProtection.aspx

it may give you what you need.
failing that, one of TR staff comes on here regularly and he may be able to help further.
thanks for your reply, I had read the info on their site, it's more the link between the seperate elements that bothers me. If you look at the latest post in DIY forum from danny, its this kind of thing I was thinking of.
From TR site:
"Each booking is a separate transaction, available separately at the same price and covered by separate financial protection.
In the event of the insolvency of your Travel Provider you will receive a refund on the void booking as set out below. Your other bookings with Travel Republic will not be affected"

So if the flights were cancelled/delayed/folded ( this is the cheapest part of the hol at about £80), they would still be stuck with the accomodation meaning they would have to find other flights to match up the dates at prob 3x the original cost, and possibly not get flights at all!
yes they would get the cheap flight money back but the difference in price of new flights would be down to them and I can't see that being covered by any insurance as you have got back what you paid - remembering they are seperate elements. And surely that means its your problem that you can't get to your accomodation so wouldn't get that money back?!?
I know you cant have it both ways - ie save a fortune v hand holding cover of a tour op, and if it was for me I won't mind. But its just a few teenagers on their first holiday before uni, and would hate for it to be a disaster. They don't have wallets full of credit cards to fall back on.
Thanks for you help .... and before you say you think I am looking at this too deeply, I already know that! ;)
try sending a PM to steved1 who works for TR.
he is usually very helpful to members.

i understand exactly where you are coming from and steved1 should be able to give you a definitive answer.
I know I've still got 9 weeks today but in view of the latest news from Tunisia I was wondering what would happen if either (a) the FO advised against all travel to Tunisia, (b) the airline (BA) was unable to land there or (c) I wimped out. At the moment I am keeping my fingers crossed and am not actually a wimp, as those who know me are aware, though I know I will have a battle royal with my family whatever the FO say!!
Message for Steve. Hi Steve as you may be aware, we are in Tunisia until the 10th April and intend to stay unless turfed out by the Foreign Office, but need your advice re new bookings for German friends who want to stay with us, but have cancelled contracts. Will send you private message. Thanks Jenny x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.