General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hope you find them ok Jackie H, I ahve ordered some too.

Kath x
Hi Jackie - having read your post, these certainly sound much better than ours. I provisionally packed this afternoon - 2 cases at 23kilos and 2 at 32 kilos and managed perfectly well on the bathroom scales, so think I'll leave it at that. Now, any fishermen out there desperate for some good scales? ;) All best Jenny x
Yes Kath, have no fear...they are great! Weighed lots of things from handbag to heavy file case and checked them on bathroom scales-spot on. Instructions say to lift things off the floor when weighing and I tried just pulling against the weight but it sent the reading haywire-so has to be lifted.

Also.....discovered they have bought out a new version-minus the handle http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/08/27/balanzza-digital-luggage-scale-for-travelers/ but can't find them on sale anywhere on UK web sites.....so far!!
I have the same scales and they are spot on. I didn't bother with weighing my baggage as I knew I was over both going and certainly had more on the return journey.
I fully expected and was willing to pay the excess but not a word was said. Jet2 just lucky I guess.

Sue
Thats good Jackie.

Will let you know when I receive them.

Sue, are you ever under or spot on weight wise :rofl (they must know you at the airports now!)

kath x
Ever under with the exception of Ryanair whidh I do keep to the one bag but then I just going Thursday to Monday, my hand baggage also is full to the limit.
I take want and am quite haooy to pay the excess id I am asked. A man is more likely amd a frendly smile will often do the trick. Wear for X now are 3 formal and the rest smart casual or above.
I was 3K over in the outward amd 6 K on the return journey but I got away with away with it.

Sue
Got an email from Gizoo advertising luggage scales. Don't know if they would be any good or not.

http://www.gizoo.co.uk/Products/TravelLeisure/Travel/LuggageScales.htm

The email also says free delivery if ordered by 5pm on Thursday but I think you need to click through from the email to get this.
Hi blueblazer - these are identical to the ones that I have, but as you can see, the hook is tiny and not large enough to hold the handle of the suitcase - and the handle of the scale is only big enough for Frank to get two fingers in - and he can't lift the 23 kilo weight on two fingers. the designer clearly hasn't done much research. From what I've read on here, the Lakeland etc type which have a strap instead of a hook and a decent handle to grasp - and bleep when the weight is the heaviest - are the best type. Personally, having bought two of the useless kind, I'm settling for the old bathroom scales in future! ;) Your not a fisherman by any chance are you? (I'm convinced that that is what mine are for!!) All best - Jenny x
Those look like the same ones I got from Betterware for £7.99.

Jenny, the guy in the photo on that link has 4 fingers through the handle which is what hubby managed to do. Also the hook is big enough to take the handle of the case.

The digital ones I bought are pretty useless as the handle is just a small ring and the hook is tiny, about the size of a 50p piece.

We are taking the Betterware ones with us.

luci :wave
These ones are on offer in the Daily Mail today.....

http://www.premieredition.co.uk/I-E678/?red=1&Media=C2998

Getting popular aren't they!
The ones from Lakeland or the balanzza ones are the best because they do not have a hook on them. They have a strap which just goes underneath the handle then clips into itself and you just pick them up. No messing about trying to get the hook under the scales. Easy peasy.
The Balanzza ones have arrived. Im impressed.

kath x
Well done Kath you have made a very good investment. Yes they are a little bit more expensive but will last forever. Given how the Airlines are going it with tighter and more challenging needs to beat the excess charges.

Sue
can you take luggage scales in hand luggage?
jeanie
not if they have a hook on them... i weigh the cases then tuck mine inside the lightest case

wiz
Oh! Luci - thanks for that correction - and a big apology on the way to you blueblazer :( - Fact is, I simply saw the top photo and never scrolled down to see the chap's hand holding it. You are correct - it is much bigger then the ones that we have - certainly the handle is bigger. I will look at the whole picture in future!! Sorry blueblazer, there's nothing worse than a know all is there?! :whoops Jenny x
To Kath - mod

Bet you have been weighing everything you have tonight - cases - bags - hand luggage et.
We did the first day we had ours.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.